Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

I thought the PS3 YLOD only happened to other people

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Wacomole

So tonight my beloved fat old PS3 decided it had had enough and beeped its way into the afterlife.

The situation would have been acceptable [I can buy a new one, it had had a good 4 year run and it went out doing what it enjoyed best] if only I had not just found out that there is now no way to get back the data on the hard drive.

Apparently putting the drive into a new PS3 will format it immediately and the only way to create a backup of the game saves on the disk would be to have the original PS3 still fully functional...negating the original need for a new PS3.

Oh well, at least I managed to get it to finally regurgitate my Mass Effect 3 disc (along with an almighty cloud of dust as the fans kicked into high gear) by turning on the power whilst holding down the eject button.

Still, sometimes life sucks hard! This is going to be a costly week.

Wacomole

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Wacomole

So tonight my beloved fat old PS3 decided it had had enough and beeped its way into the afterlife.

The situation would have been acceptable [I can buy a new one, it had had a good 4 year run and it went out doing what it enjoyed best] if only I had not just found out that there is now no way to get back the data on the hard drive.

Apparently putting the drive into a new PS3 will format it immediately and the only way to create a backup of the game saves on the disk would be to have the original PS3 still fully functional...negating the original need for a new PS3.

Oh well, at least I managed to get it to finally regurgitate my Mass Effect 3 disc (along with an almighty cloud of dust as the fans kicked into high gear) by turning on the power whilst holding down the eject button.

Still, sometimes life sucks hard! This is going to be a costly week.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Krakn3Dfx

There are days that I'm really glad I plunked down the $50 for PSN Plus just for the cloud saves.

DWN2550

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By DWN2550
    MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By MegaLombax

I feel you man. I had 2 fat PS3's which died on me because of YLOD.

JarretttheGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JarretttheGuy

Yeah, mine just kicked it again.

IFixit has a solution, and I've done it 3 times now: http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Yellow-Light-of-Death-Repair/3654/1

trying to decide if i'm going to get a new one or just keep fixing it, it's going down every month now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.