Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Is PS3 Slim noisy?

egg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Just asking because I'm about to sell a Japanese PS3 and thought I'd double check that there is nothing wrong with it. If playing Red Dead Redemption (or any game) is it normal for the system to make clicking and buzzing sounds so often, and is it normal for the sounds to be so audible?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By Hunter5024

Mine has made those noises for a while and it seems to be okay. I always assumed it was the cheap hard drive I put in.

a_e_martin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I have a Super Slim and it's been noisy as hell from the start, compared to the old 60 GB model I had.

HH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

i've had one since whenever demon's souls came out and it's super quiet, never notice any noise from it, i've been using it a lot more than my 360 for the past 2 years, and it handles all my netflix / blu-ray / dvd traffic, which is a fair whack.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By penguindust

I had a 60 gig launch PS3. It was loud. Not as loud as my launch 360, but still loud. My PS3 died so I replaced it with a PS3 Slim (the type where the disc still slides into the front) and it's been comparatively quiet. Sometimes I don't even realize it's on.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Nah I've never heard mine over the background hum of my house.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By RonGalaxy

Sometimes it makes noises when the disc is being read, but besides that no. In the summer when I don't have my ac on the fan on the ps3 gets louder (because its hot), but it isn't really that bad. Buzzing and clicking sounds like a bad thing.

My original fat ps2 made buzzing and clicking noises and it caused the games to freeze until it stopped. For the longest time my fix for it was to punch the ps2, which actually made it stop, but it wasn't a permanent fix. Eventually (when I grew up and learned to take care of my shit better) I did research and found out it had something to do with a gear, and I was able to open it up and fix it properly. Then I sold it last summer at a tag sale for 50 bucks.

Freelancer52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My Ps3 slim started out nearly silent. the fans have gotten a little louder over the years but never loud enough to distract me from the game.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My super slim is whisper quiet. The only disc based console I have had that is quieter is the PS4.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f
    deactivated-5c4a6d7d37a3f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My ps3 slim makes some noise: The fan spins, you can hear the disk spinning and the case occasionally makes a creaking sound. (I guess the plastic is expanding or contracting because of heat?) Had it since about the time the Slim first came out. I'm sitting about 6 or 7 feet from the console.

JJBSterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

My PS3 super slim is the loudest console I own by far. It doesn't bug me but it's definitely noticeable especially since I rarely ever notice when my other consoles are making noise.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.