Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Looking for good platformers on the PS3

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By BombKareshi

I'm looking for some good platform games on the PS3 (for my girlfriend).

Criteria is as follows:   

These are the platformers we have so far: 
    My attention has been drawn to the Rango game, which has garnered some positive reviews, but the reputation of movie tie-ins precedes them. But aside from sequels of the games I already mentioned, I'm literally stumped for platformers. Please, duders, any advice will be much appreciated!
    Grissefar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Grissefar

That's a narrow search margin, I don't know that a lot of what you look for exist outside of the PS1/PS2 era. But I have some suggestions:

• DeathSpank - It has a cozy girlfriend mode, or maybe she would like to be DeathSpank
    • Rocket Knight seemed ok in the QL
    • Trine
    • Mirrors Edge
    • Outland
    Jazzycola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Jazzycola
    • Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
    • Sly Cooper Collection
    • Prince of Persia(2008)
    • Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands
    • Prince of Persia collection

I have all of these and they are great. Others I'd suggest would be Portal 2 though playing co-op could cause some fights.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. It's one of my favorite games this gen and not too many people seem to know about it.

mkskillz16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mkskillz16

Sly Cooper Collection may be a great idea, but the only downside I see to it are some frustrating Murray missions which spike in cheap difficulty (along with other myriad of parts that can be 'cheap').  Also Littlebigplanet 2 is out now so if the first one was a hit then this should do fine.  Basically just beware of small instances of cheap deaths or weird difficulty spikes in some platformers. 

Sayishere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Sayishere

If you never played Gunstar Heroes on the Genesis before, nows the time you should. Its on PSN, its a side scroller, and its intense.

xdarnokx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By xdarnokx

I've been enjoying the Sly Cooper HD Collection, lots of game for your dollar.

jacdg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By jacdg

@Zacagawea said:

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time. It's one of my favorite games this gen and not too many people seem to know about it.

Totally agree, amazing game. Also, El Shaddei is out soon, seems to be a good deal of platforming in that.

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By BulletproofMonk

Outland is fantastic. Definitely get that one.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By spankingaddict

If you have a 360, then Ms. 'Splosion Man would be perfect for what your asking. But its a tough game, I guess..

Sly collection and Outland are other great options...

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By RE_Player1

The Sly Collection. You get 3 games for $30, the platforming is easy and fun, the writing and characters are top notch and they still look good to this day. I got 100% in the first 2 and am currently playing through the 3rd. If you want bang for your buck get It.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By RE_Player1

As someone else said Prince of Persia 2008 is another great game. You can get it for $20, no death penalty, beautiful graphics, likable characters and fluid combat that is easy to learn but satisfying when you pull off a big combo. Please let us know what you decide to get.

X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By X19
    @BombKareshi said:

She will love the art design. Even if she doesn't play it you should rent it at least as it's fantastic.
    mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mikey87144
    • Littlebigplanet 2
    • Sly Collection
    • Ratchet and Clank: Clock Blockers (I will never let that go)
    • The only other great platformers I can think of are on PSN.
    • Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection is filled with some good co-op and platformers

Also sorry but a lot of the best platformers for the system are on PSN. They include

• Outland
    • Limbo, next week
    • Trine, great for co-op
    • Braid
    X19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By X19

Forgot to say pick up a copy of Portal 2 and play through the co op mode with her. I played with a girl who had never really used two thumbs sticks in a video game and a few chapters in she had it down and loved it.

GJSmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GJSmitty
    • Portal 2
    • Uncharted Series
    • Prince of Persia '08
    • LBP2
    • Sly Cooper Collection
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By BombKareshi

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, guys. I know my criteria is very restrictive, but my lady isn't easily impressed. I'll definitely let you guys know what I ultimately decide on; I'm still compiling my list of possibilities.

@X19 said:

@BombKareshi said:

She will love the art design. Even if she doesn't play it you should rent it at least as it's fantastic.
    Even though I think this game is perfect for her with regard to gameplay, I'm afraid the art design might be what throws this one out. She's really not into the dark and melancholy. But don't worry, I definitely intend to get this game for myself on Steam once it's cheaper.

Please, if anyone has anybody's got any other suggestions, I'm watching this thread like a hawk on steroids.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RE_Player1

@BombKareshi: While I think Alice is fantastic, 5 hours in and having a blast, I can see that not being everyones game. You should defiantly check it out though when it goes on sale on Steam or at stores, got mine for $39 which isn't cheap but it's better than $59.

Masha2932

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Masha2932

1. Ratchet and clank  future:a crack in time. 
    Since you have Tools of destruction i highly recommend Ratchet and Clank:A crack in time. It's just as good if not better than tools of destruction. There are a few new weapons and there is more to do during the space sections as you travel from planet to planet, in addition to the space shootouts you can land on moons for simple platforming sections.You also get to play as clank in some very clever time bending puzzles. The game is great value as well, with about 10-15 hours of gameplay. 

2. Prince of persia)2008) 
    This cel-shaded reboot of the prince of persia is a great game. It has great graphics, streamlined gameplay which is easy to learn and a decent story as well. the one on one combat is deceptively simple but really satisfying when you pull of 10-14 hit combos. 

3. Little big planet 2 
    You have the first one and if you loved it you'll love the 2nd one as well. 

4. Consider renting movie tie-ins  
     Most of them are platformers and are usually very simple.They can be beaten in one day. and most of them also have couch co-op. Toy story 3 is a good option

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#20  Edited By MightyDuck

1. Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time - definitely a blast to play, can't go wrong with this one.
    2. The Sly Collection - 3 games for the price of one.  I've been playing through this and enjoying it quite a bit.

Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Little Big Planet 2 if you liked the first one, it's a nice improvement

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I'm enjoying Outland at the moment so I'd recommend that.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By penguindust

You might want to check out PixelJunk Eden.  It's not a conventional platformer like R&C, but it does involve a lot of leaping from area to area while gathering stuff. 

Also, I'm not sure if it counts since I've never played it due to my fear of heights (some games can make me nauseous), but would Mirror's Edge be considered a platformer?  The videos I've seen suggest platforming elements.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By ajamafalous

Alice?

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By Rowr

Littlebigplanet 2 is some of the best gaming fun i have had with my girlfriend.

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By BombKareshi

If anyone is interested, here's my list of considerations thus far: BombKareshi's Girlfriend Watch List.

@mikey87144: @Masha2932: @MKSKILLZ16: @rawrsair: @Rowr: (everyone who recommended LBP2)
    LittleBigPlanet 2 is definitely on the list, but since we're still working our way through the first one, I think I'll delay that one for now.

@mikey87144 said:

• Sonic Ultimate Genesis Collection is filled with some good co-op and platformers
    Not a bad recommendation, but the trouble here is she's got them all running on an emulator already.

@Masha2932 said:
    4. Consider renting movie tie-ins 
    Most of them are platformers and are usually very simple.They can be beaten in one day. and most of them also have couch co-op. Toy story 3 is a good option
    That's a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

@PenguinDust said:
    You might want to check out PixelJunk Eden.  It's not a conventional platformer like R&C, but it does involve a lot of leaping from area to area while gathering stuff. 

Also, I'm not sure if it counts since I've never played it due to my fear of heights (some games can make me nauseous), but would Mirror's Edge be considered a platformer?  The videos I've seen suggest platforming elements.
    Cool. Added PixelJunk Eden to the list. Glad to see that it's got a retail release! As for Mirror's Edge, I played that on the PC myself, and now that you mention it, it just might appeal to my girlfriend. It's not exactly lighthearted, but it's a hell of a lot less gloomy than most first person games. Sounds like a good option... Thanks!

@ajamafalous
    If you're talking about Alice: Madness Returns, I'm sure it's a great game, but as I mentioned in my opening post, I don't think she'll go for it.
    Avatar image for deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a
    deactivated-65f0b21bb6a1a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd also recommend Braid (though it's PSN) 

BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BombKareshi
    @rawrsair said:
    I'd also recommend Braid (though it's PSN) 
    Added. But curse the fact that we can't get a decent speed on PSN. We really need to sort that out.
    Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By Rowr

It doesnt quite fit your criteria, though its close. Lara croft Guardians of light is some great coop platforming fun.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By ajamafalous

@BombKareshi said:

@ajamafalous: If you're talking about Alice: Madness Returns, I'm sure it's a great game, but as I mentioned in my opening post, I don't think she'll go for it.

Somehow I totally missed that part.

Anyway, gonna back up the people that said Ratchet. Great games, pretty forgiving.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#31  Edited By GunstarRed

A Crack in time is one of the best games this generation, get that. Also beware of Pixeljunk eden it's possibly one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. I understand why some people like it  but it has a very strict time limit  and  strange controls. 

Outland is also very good.
    BombKareshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BombKareshi
    @marioncobretti said:
    Also beware of Pixeljunk eden it's possibly one of the most frustrating games I have ever played. I understand why some people like it  but it has a very strict time limit  and  strange controls.
    Thanks for the warning.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SlasherMan

All the obvious answers have been given, so I'll suggest something slightly different. How about Enslaved?
    Mind you, the PS3 version isn't great with a lot of technical issues, so if you have a 360 you probably want to get it for that.

The Bionic Commando Rearmed games are pretty good too (I know you said no PSN, but it's hard to think of any sidescrollers on disc).

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#34  Edited By Hizang

Ratchet and Clank: Quest For Booty, Ratchet and Clank a Crack in Time, The Simpsons Game, The Sly Cooper Collection, Alice: Madness Returns, Lego Games, Portal 2

Avatar image for lacystarrsparks
    Lacystarrsparks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lacystarrsparks

Rayman:legends! Its my absolute favorite.

I'm a girl who isn't a huge "gamer" but I love side scrollers and classics like sonic and Mario type games.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.