Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 freezing every so often, is this a big deal?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I was just playing heavy rain right now and it froze on me during a part in the beginning of the game where it went to a flash back or something. now, I remember this happening to me also when i was playing Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 about 2 or so weeks ago and happened to me again when i was playing Dragon Age the other day. Im asking this because im not sure if these are just random accurnace freezings that have more to do with the game then anything, or if there is soemthing wrong with my PS3. It dosent happen a  whole lot or all the time, but it has happened twice withing a few days of each other.  Im getting a little worried, any advice? hoping my PS3 dosent have a virus or something.
    Tsoglani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Tsoglani

I can't tell you, but I would also like to know as it has been happening to me with Hot Pursuit and Splatterhouse.

unchained

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By unchained

I wouldn't be too concerned. Both games you've mentioned are known to have issues with freezing on the PS3. If the incidents are weeks apart, you are probably safe. 

ocdog45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ocdog45

yeah its a big deal. might have a bad console. did you change the HDD to it or anything?

Sarkhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Sarkhan

Same with Fallout GOTYE. Known for freezing after 2:45H-3H play. Just code m8, dont worry. BUT!! if it freezes after 30 mi on each game? then yo have a bad console. My first ps3 did that after 2 years. 
    FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FritzDude

If it's overheating or system failure, you should be available to test it out and let the system stay on for a few hours without any game running. It the whole system crashes in the XMB, then you should be worry. Of course, many system crashes in the middle of a game because of other hardware faults, so it cannot be guaranteed. Many factors can be involved. If it happens to often with almost all of your games, then you may have a faulty console.

choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By choffy21

It's not a big deal. My PS3 froze while playing Assassins Creed: Brotherhood the other night. Just had to turn it off and turn it back on. Then last night Red Dead Redemption froze on my 360. Again, just had to restart my console. I just kind of expect it.

tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: -1

#8  Edited By tobygw
    @Raven_Sword: PS3s can't get viruses.
    defaulttag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By defaulttag
    @FritzDude said:
    "

If it's overheating or system failure, you should be available to test it out and let the system stay on for a few hours without any game running. It the whole system crashes in the XMB, then you should be worry. Of course, many system crashes in the middle of a game because of other hardware faults, so it cannot be guaranteed. Many factors can be involved. If it happens to often with almost all of your games, then you may have a faulty console.

"
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ravensword
    @ocdog45: 

Ive had this console since like May of 2007. I switched out my 60gb HDD that originaly came with it to a 120gb one like in 2008/early 2009. Ive had both the console and the HDD for a while. i jsut want to make sure its not starting to go bad now. It could be the games.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @tobygw said:

" @Raven_Sword: PS3s can't get viruses. "

If someone wrote one for it, then it could. I'd be willing to bet that someone's at least attempted to write one at some point. But yeah, the chances of that are extremely damn low. 

PS3 freezing every so often, is this a big deal?   

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say: probably. I hope for your sake that it's no biggie though.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ravensword
    @JJWeatherman:

Well, I played Mass effect 2 on it alot lately and it hasnt frozen, so maybe it was those games?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ravensword
    @FritzDude:

I leave my PS3 on the dashboard for a few hours all the time and it dosent crash the XMB.
    tobygw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#14  Edited By tobygw
    @JJWeatherman: Well I suppose theoretically a virus could be created for it, but no one's ps3 would ever get infected by it since it would have to be a game developer who did it and managed to sneak it past Sony's testing and then they would have to deal with shit loads of lawsuits.
    matthew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By matthew
    @Unchained said:
    " I wouldn't be too concerned. "  

System froze on me a handful of times when playing Uncharted 2 when it first came out.  Hasn't happened since then, and the system runs fine. Beside the fact that I have to upgrade my HDD. I wouldn't be too concerned, just make sure you upkeep the system (mostly just using compressed air to keep dust out of the fan vents, make sure it's in an open area for ventilation, etc.).
    davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By davidh219

My PS3 has had occasional freezing ever since I got it. Except for when I'm asleep it's pretty much on 24/7 since I use netflix a lot and I have a lot of movies/shows/music stored on the hard drive. Still works fine though. Whenever it freezes I just turn it off and back on and everything's back to normal. I wouldn't worry about it too much unless it's happening more frequently than like once every few days. 

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Druminator

Happens to me a lot on Black Ops. I hope it's not bad.

Bloodgraiv3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18  Edited By Bloodgraiv3

It freezes for me once every couple months, and ive had it since launch, I wouldn't be too worried about it. 
    damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By damodar

Is it just locking up and you have to reset it or is it freezing for a second or two, then shutting off?

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#20  Edited By apathylad

Heavy Rain froze on me once. This was the face that was staring at me when it happened: 

No Caption Provided
    kami_line_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your PS3 freezes once in a while then you should not worry about it but if it keeps freezing every 10 minutes then you should take it pretty damn seriously. Firstly you should read what I did when my PS3 keep freezing for no apparent reasons. Then the best thing to do here is give some more breathing space for your plantation 3 and allow it to cool down for at least 45 minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.