Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PS3 HDMI trouble

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

My PS3 just working with HDMI. Not sure what happened since it was working last night and now it won't show up on HDMI, but it will on AV cables. I tried resetting the settings, but everytime it switches to HDMI I get a black screen. This is a 250gb PS3 and I just got it back in September after my 60gb died.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SomeJerk

Hiya. I got this with my PS3 Slim the day I got my PS4, what sweet timing. I was never again able to breathe life into its HDMI output. I tried resets and reconfigures and everything you did but could never get it back to life that way, it completely died all on its own, without any cable violence or nothing.

If it's still under warranty, check what you need to do and who you need to contact for an RMA.

If it really has to go in for an RMA, remember to de-authorize that PS3 from your PSN ID, backup all the saves to PS+ (can get a trial for that from facebook, for accounts never touched by PS+ or trials of it, I believe). Also take out your custom HD if it is custom, at least make it clearly marked it's a 250gb model and they should return an equal or larger drive.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RonGalaxy

Buy a new hdmi cable or try a different one. I get the same problem from time to time, and buying some hdmi cables off amazon fixes the problem (usually). If not, your hdmi port is probably busted. Might be able to replace the port itself, but that would require opening the ps3 (and possibly soldering. Not sure how the port on the ps3 is configured, as I've never messed around with it).

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Buy a new hdmi cable or try a different one. I get the same problem from time to time, and buying some hdmi cables off amazon fixes the problem (usually). If not, your hdmi port is probably busted. Might be able to replace the port itself, but that would require opening the ps3 (and possibly soldering. Not sure how the port on the ps3 is configured, as I've never messed around with it).

Well I tried the HDMI cable from my PS4 and when I switch it to HDMI I can hear sound, but nothing comes on screen.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Have you done a full factory video and reset? Hold down the Power button. It will beep once and then about 30 seconds later it will beep again. When you power on afterwards it will ask you to confirm your video and audio settings.

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

Have you done a full factory video and reset? Hold down the Power button. It will beep once and then about 30 seconds later it will beep again. When you power on afterwards it will ask you to confirm your video and audio settings.

Yep I did that. I had to do that to get it back to Component Cables since I had it set on HDMI when it was working correctly yesterday.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bretf said:
    @zirilius said:

Yep I did that. I had to do that to get it back to Component Cables since I had it set on HDMI when it was working correctly yesterday.

Do you have multiple HDMI ports on your TV or are other devices working okay on that HDMI port?

BretF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zirilius said:

@bretf said:
    @zirilius said:

Do you have multiple HDMI ports on your TV or are other devices working okay on that HDMI port?

Well I tried my PS4 and the same thing happened in a different HDMI slot so I think it's the tvs HDMI port. Luckily I think my PC monitor is HDCP compatible so I think I just need a HDMI Female to DVI-D Male Video Adapter to hook up my PS3 to my Monitor.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.