Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

PSN+ User will be get 4 free games a month!

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Sony has also disclosed one of the biggest benefits of being a PS+ subscriber, and that's a regular supply of free games. Those paying a monthly fee will be able to download at least four games a month free of charge: one PSN title, two minis and one PS1 Classic.

Discounting the minis, which are usually rubbish, that's still 12 PSN games and 12 PS1 classics a year for your subscription. That's a great deal.

http://kotaku.com/5571542/playstation-plus-subscribers-get-free-games-including-littlebigplanet    

PAL user will also be getting Little Big Planet, I most likely wont be getting this until GT5 gets in my blood but PSN+ looks like there going to try to give us something for that extra money. I hope they use that money to make PSN better.
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Sounds good. 

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By gosukiller

Sounds neat, but since I already have LBP I'll wait till I know more about it.

edit: Such as the fact that you have to choose from a predetermined list, and can't just pick any game you want. That's bull! Give me a specific amount of credit so I can decide for myself how many minis and whatnot I want!

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Steve_C

It's so easy to join.

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @Steve_C said:
    " It's so easy to join. "
    what?
    gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By gosukiller
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:

" @Steve_C said:

what? "
    This is for you:

Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @Steve_C said:
    what? "
    Believe he's quoting a popular phrase the GB crew like to use i.e. "It's so easy to (insert action)" using a marketing voice. See the Beatles Rock Band on QVC video for good reference.

Anyhow, if you can keep some of those game after your subscription is up, I'd be down.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Hamz

Definitely seems like a solid subscription plan, you pay a monthly fee and get plenty of content in return. Can't complain there.

gosukiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By gosukiller
    @Chris2KLee said:
    Anyhow, if you can keep some of those game after your subscription is up, I'd be down. "
    This is the snag, you have to be subscribed to play these games. At least, that's what I gathered from the Sony E3 Conference. Hope they wisen up and drop that little requirement ( you know they won't).
    DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @gosukiller said:
    " @Chris2KLee said:
    Anyhow, if you can keep some of those game after your subscription is up, I'd be down. "
    This is the snag, you have to be subscribed to play these games. At least, that's what I gathered from the Sony E3 Conference. Hope they wisen up and drop that little requirement ( you know they won't). "
    That would defeat the purpose of the subscription
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By guiseppe

That's a deal I find hard to resist.

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By sodiumCyclops

So to be clear, you get 4 games per month and you have to give them back at the end of the month? Or do you keep them forever?

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 52

#13  Edited By tearhead

But... do they pick the free stuff I can download, or can I pick and choose which PSN titles I want (Including those that weren't released that month)?

sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @gosukiller said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:

" @Steve_C said:

what? "
    This is for you:

"
    Is this real? im confused
    tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By tearhead
    @sodiumCyclops:  It's just making fun of religion.
    guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By guiseppe

After reading the official statement form Sony, this actually seems like an incredible deal. It costs less than Xbox Live does per year and it offers much, much more. I wonder how Microsoft will combat this.

@Tearhead said:

" But... do they pick the free stuff I can download, or can I pick and choose which PSN titles I want (Including those that weren't released that month)? "

Unfortunately, yes. You can only get the games they pick for that month, but once you've downloaded them you can re-download them at any time you want. As long as you're subscribed to PSN+.
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JokerClown88

Wait...sounds BETTER then XBL???  Sold.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By rjaylee
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:

"... a monthly fee will be able to download at least four games a month free of charge"

I'm sure the content to be consumed is perfectly fine, but c'mon people, I can't be the only person here seeing the fucking horrible irony in their marketing plan to attach the word 'free' to this when there is nothing 'free' about it.
    Chris2KLee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 13

#19  Edited By Chris2KLee
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    " @gosukiller said:
    " @Chris2KLee said:
    This is the snag, you have to be subscribed to play these games. At least, that's what I gathered from the Sony E3 Conference. Hope they wisen up and drop that little requirement ( you know they won't). "
    That would defeat the purpose of the subscription "
    Yeah, but it would be a nice incentive to get people to sign up. Still, this program looks interesting. I'll wait and see what they offer on tap before I sign on, but it has potential if they offer a solid selection of titles.
    Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Dingofighter
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " So to be clear, you get 4 games per month and you have to give them back at the end of the month? Or do you keep them forever? "
    You keep them until you stop subscribing to PSN+
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Hamz
    @Tearhead said:
    " But... do they pick the free stuff I can download, or can I pick and choose which PSN titles I want (Including those that weren't released that month)? "
    Each month Sony will pick titles for that month's PSN+ subscribers to enjoy. By the looks of it they'll be handing out quite a few games each month for subscribers to enjoy so there will be something for everyone.
    Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By KaosAngel

Technically 2 free games.  I don't count the Minis... 

...plus if their free games the first year is gonna be older PSN games, I might have to pass as I own almost all of them.  >.> 

DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo
    @heatDrive88 said:
    " @DuhQbnSiLo said:

"... a monthly fee will be able to download at least four games a month free of charge"

I'm sure the content to be consumed is perfectly fine, but c'mon people, I can't be the only person here seeing the fucking horrible irony in their marketing plan to attach the word 'free' to this when there is nothing 'free' about it. "
    You can still play games perfectly well for "free" so i believe there marketing is just fine.
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By rjaylee
    @DuhQbnSiLo said:
    "You can still play games perfectly well for "free" so i believe there marketing is just fine. "

Wait what? Please explain, I'm simply perplexed by the idea that a subscriber pays a monthly fee, yet they call this feature of the subscription "free".
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#25  Edited By EpicSteve
    @sodiumCyclops said:
    " So to be clear, you get 4 games per month and you have to give them back at the end of the month? Or do you keep them forever? "
    You lose everything you gained through your subscription when you cancel it.,
    andrela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By andrela

Something isn't free if you're paying for it vicariously through a subscription. Its just cheaper in the long run. I'll be eager to see if microsoft do anything with live to counter the new PSN stuff though

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By KaosAngel
    @heatDrive88 said:

" @DuhQbnSiLo said:

"You can still play games perfectly well for "free" so i believe there marketing is just fine. "
    Wait what? Please explain, I'm simply perplexed by the idea that a subscriber pays a monthly fee, yet they call this feature of the subscription "free". "
    Netflix is just 10 bucks a month for me, and I get "free" unlimited viewing of movies.  I pay the 10 bucks for the Blu-Ray I get every time I swap.   

EDIT:  If Sony opens this up to all PSN and PSone games for "free" during the subscription, how would that be any different from Netflix then?  You don't own the Netflix movies you stream, and some movies are locked out after a month.  O_o
    rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By rjaylee
    @KaosAngel said:
    "Netflix is just 10 bucks a month for me, and I get "free" unlimited viewing of movies.  I pay the 10 bucks for the Blu-Ray I get every time I swap."

Haha, that Netflix example strikes with the exact same amount of confusion with and shady/misguiding usage of the term for marketing reasons (even for a person like me that works in marketing). 

The only reasonable and scat-free way to use the term "free" in either of those cases is if the 4 games (or unlimited viewing for Netflix) is a value-added feature or 'bonus' to the original proposition of service, which I'm not sure is the way this is being seen as considering it's the only thing people care about when talking about the subscription service.
    super_machine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By super_machine

However, the "free game" license is only valid as long as you remain a subscriber. If you let the subscription laps, you can't play those games.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KaosAngel
    @super_machine said:
    " However, the "free game" license is only valid as long as you remain a subscriber. If you let the subscription laps, you can't play those games. "
    ...which is the same as Netflix.  PS+ is only 50 a year, Netflix costs me 120 a year.  I don't get what the problem is, my only dislike for it thus far is that I own most PSN games so it's looking to be a waste for me.  >.>
    Rokkaku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#31  Edited By Rokkaku

Have Sony announced any pricing for it yet? 

kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By kishan6

xbox live needs to adopt something like this if they want to stay in the running

tearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tearhead
    @KaosAngel said:

" @super_machine said:

" However, the "free game" license is only valid as long as you remain a subscriber. If you let the subscription laps, you can't play those games. "
    ...which is the same as Netflix.  PS+ is only 50 a year, Netflix costs me 120 a year.  I don't get what the problem is, my only dislike for it thus far is that I own most PSN games so it's looking to be a waste for me.  >.> "
    Yeah, and I own all the PSN games that I care about. I'm also wondering the kinds of games they're gonna give to the subscribers. They are many crappy PSN titles out there, whose to say that they will give us the quality ones? In the end though, it all comes down to dollars and cents for me, I'm gonna have to see the quality of the content when the service rolls out. I don't really care about the free avatars or themes, it all comes down to the games, and if I can get PSN games that I was kinda interested in but not enough for the asking price (Joe Danger for example) at a discounted cost, then I'm in.

@Rokkaku said:
    " Have Sony announced any pricing for it yet?  "

$50 for a 12 month subscription, $18 for a 3 month subscription.
    subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By subject2change

Seems good if I can get a PS1 classic over to my PSP every month, when the 4 months ends still be able to play will be another story. Not sure how they plan to prevent me from doing that as my PSP is rarely connected to WiFi.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By iam3green

sounds alright. i hope they give a free month to try it out. microsoft does it when people make a new account.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By RobotHamster

This is a really great deal because if you don't count the minis its a psn game and a ps1 game.  On average their about $10 each so if you were to get one of each each month thats $240 a year.  And even if you don't get to keep them if you don't renew it's ok because by then you'd probably have stopped playing that game by then and if not buy just that game.  And then theres also cross game chat, early access to demos, betas and other stuff so consider me sold.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#37  Edited By metal_mills

I still hate the idea of losing everything you get after the subscription ends.

LordLemmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By LordLemmy

Paying money to play PS1 games that you can't keep outside of the subscription is fucking stupid.

Avatar image for deactivated-59a5cc20e5213
    deactivated-59a5cc20e5213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice to see Sony putting some pressure on MS, competition is always good...

Don't know if it's been mentioned but it doesn't work retro actively, so the only way to get Wipeout HD free is to sign up the first month.... etc.

And if this takes off? I'm betting the next PS will require subscription fee to play online!

rapid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#40  Edited By rapid

Sounds like a good deal but.....
    Does this mean : say you download 4 free games, then after a month, you no longer can download the same free games. In other words you need to download a new set of 4 games every month.

Just looking for potential loopholes =P

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nasar7

They will cycle the free games available each month but as long as you are a subscriber whatever you download will always be yours. So I imagine you'd want to download everything, just in case.

Avatar image for a_faceless_name
    A_Faceless_Name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By A_Faceless_Name

I signed up today, here is the free stuff.

Wipeout HD (14.99)
    Rally Cross (5.99)
    Age of Zombies (4.99)
    3 Magic Orbs expansions (2.99 each)
    2 Cuboid Expansions (2.99 and 3.99)
    1 Majong Tales expansion (4.99)
    Smash Cars expansion (2.99)
    A free theme
    2 free exclusive Fat Princess skins
    Warhawk Fall Star Expansion (4.99)

Midway games for $2.50 each.
    Most Creat and Tik games for 2 bucks off.

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#43  Edited By chililili

Has this number been confirmed anywhere else?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ravensword

You know, I totaly didnt realzie theyre going to keep adding stuff for the weeks leading up to the month. I thought it was just what you got with the first week of the month is what you get for the whole month. But nope, they added more stuff this week and most likely more stuff next week.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By RE_Player1

Ya but they pick the games for you...

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Is there a place where I can check what they're having that month? I mean, do you ever think they'll be giving away good game like Warhawk and Battlefield 1943, or are we just going to get a bunch of shit I wouldn't buy anyway?

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By teekomeeko
    @AlwaysAngry said:

" Is there a place where I can check what they're having that month? I mean, do you ever think they'll be giving away good game like Warhawk and Battlefield 1943, or are we just going to get a bunch of shit I wouldn't buy anyway? "

What a "good game" is subjective. A lot of people are really going to enjoy Wipeout HD and/or Age of Zombies, not to mention all the DLC discounts. PS+ seems to be aimed at the heavy PSN buyer that may be able to save a ton over the year they subscribe since they would have bought some of the products anyway, and now they will be discounted or free. If you don't buy anything on PSN or only have interest in one or two particular games out of a vast catalog, then stay away from PS+ and just buy what you want - it's probably cheaper than hoping the games they give away aren't  "shit."
    audiosnag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By audiosnag

I don't really see this as being competition for MS they're kinda two different things. They're still not adding any cross game chat or improving any of the online interface or functionality for PSN, which is what you pay for on Live. It's more like buying a Costco or Sams Club membership, you're paying a subscription fee to get some perks. 
    I guess it's cool if you're lookin for somethin extra but doesn't seem like something i'd be into. And not being able to keep these games you get for "free" is bullshit.  
    You're basically paying to rent them as long as you're a member. 

Damien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Damien
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " You know, I totaly didnt realzie theyre going to keep adding stuff for the weeks leading up to the month. I thought it was just what you got with the first week of the month is what you get for the whole month. But nope, they added more stuff this week and most likely more stuff next week. "
    What did they add?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.