Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Thinking of buying a second- locked saves and other concerns

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jasonofindy

I am toying with purchasing a 2nd PS3 as a "Bluray player plus" for the downstairs living room.  My current plan is to wait until after E3 to see if there will be any good console bundles announced.  I know that most PSN games can be on both systems at once.  However, I have heard there are some problems with game saves on many disk games.  Some are open, some are locked to your profile, and some are locked to your actual machine.  Do a large number actually fall into this restrictive 3rd category?   

How well does using your account work across multiple machines?  If I try to sign in downstairs while the upstairs machine is on does it disconnect my profile on the upstairs machine or just deny the PSN log in on the downstairs machine?   

Are there any other multi-machine issues that I need to know about or look out for?   

Thanks

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

I find it easier just to buy an extra hdmi cable and just unplug my ps3 and move it to another tv if i want to use it for playing movies on my bigscreen.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By trophyhunter

well you can take the hard drive out of your old on and put in your new one. then you uncopyible save will come with you

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By timay

Almost all PSN games can be used on up to 5 ps3s. There are only a few that dont and the one that comes to mind is warhawk.  I haven't tried logging into the same account on two machine but i assume its the same as with the xbox 360.

UncleDisco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By UncleDisco
    @trophyhunter: That won't work.. if you put an harddrive from another ps3 in a new one, you'll be asked to format it first before using it.
    Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Jasonofindy
    @Marz said:

" I find it easier just to buy an extra hdmi cable and just unplug my ps3 and move it to another tv if i want to use it for playing movies on my bigscreen. "

If it were just me in the house, I wouldn't be picking up a second machine.  I would watch everything upstairs.  The one downstairs would be for my use when the wife is using the upstairs room or for my kids use while I am using the one upstairs.  

@trophyhunter
    said:

" well you can take the hard drive out of your old on and put in your know one. then you uncopyible save will come with you "

I am not replacing my old machine with a slim.  I am buying a second machine for use in another part of the house.   Additionally, for those who ARE replacing their PS3, my understanding is that this will not work as your old PS3's HD will not work in your new machine without your new machine first reformatting it.  The new "tranfer utility" they added in a recent firmware is supposed to move over locked saves but my understanding is that it is designed for use when permanently switching machines.  (i.e. it makes a Ghost image of your old drive to transfer its contents to your new drive) 

I am just trying to get a sense for how many games would simply allow me to move saves conveniently back and forth using a USB Stick. 

EDIT- removed mention of SD card since the newer PS3s don'r support them.
    zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By zero_
    @Jasonofindy: Check your save files in your current PS3, press Triangle on them and check out their Lock Status, if there is none you can easily just copy them onto USB and copy them over to the other PS3. The ones that are locked, you're out of luck. I moved from a PS3 to another and lost my Rock Band save because for whatever reason they're locked to the machine. :S

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.