Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

Washington times diss PS3

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By drakesfortune

Well, I kind of agree with the guy.  I love my PS3 as much as anyone, but I feel Sony has totally dropped the ball this holiday season.  I can't even begin to fathom why they've let Microsoft and Wii just have this holiday.  It's like they are not even trying to compete anymore, which scares me a bit for the future of the platform. 

noiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#3  Edited By noiz

I agree as well. How they came to the conclusion that making a 160gb bundle with Uncharted that costs $100 more was a good idea rather than packing LBP in with the 80gb I can't figure out. They really seem clueless in the current market. They have some good exclusives and some more good ones to come out in 2009 but until they get the price right it won't matter much.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Manachild

I also love my ps3 but completely agree with what that guy had to say, i thought it was a very good article that really told it how it was. I bet a buncha people wont even read that article and go all "nah uh" and defensive cause of the topics title.

SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By SgtReznor
    noiz said:
    "I agree as well. How they came to the conclusion that making a 160gb bundle with Uncharted that costs $100 more was a good idea rather than packing LBP in with the 80gb I can't figure out.
    Let's not also forget that the new PS3 model no longer has any backwards capability with PS2 games.

I problem with Sony is that they think they've already won the format war. They seem to be getting complacent, and all this while, the 'format' of streamable HD movies is making it's mark - and doing very big things
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By LiquidPrince

Meh, what can you do. I'm personally happy with my system.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By get2sammyb

While I agree with the article and am in no way going to defend Sony's dreadful marketing and pricing decisions I have to admit, this slew of negative American press can't be helping the systems image in any way, shape or form.

The Playstation 3 has essentially become the media's pinata and while, I 100% agree Sony have made some mega stupid decisions I think you can put a positive spin on the sales.

Sony have sold more PS3's in it's first two years than Microsoft did 360's in their first two years. Microsoft were at 17.7 million after two years whereas Sony sit at 18.5 (I have links for those that need them). That's hardly unsuccessful. Also, the 360 is currently the absolute cheapest system on the market worldwide yet gets absolutely obliterated by the (now) more expensive Wii.

I think it's moderately positive that Sony are staying in touch with a system that's so expensive. You'd expect (Pachter style) that if the system ever did get a price drop it would gain a lot of ground.

Also, there was a reason Microsoft dropped their price so sharply in recent months, they have a real bomb-like attitude to business... Sony will continue to plod along with consistent growth, that will please them. Did anybody really expect Sony to come out closer to the XBOX in Novemeber when it's essentially half the price in an economic recession? I mean really?

What's good for Sony is that sales grew over the year of 2007 and while I entirely agree Microsoft are raping them in marketing terms I don't think it's game over for Sony.

Granted though, I'll say again, they should have done something to keep closer to the 360 this year. A budget sku perhaps with a 20gb HDD and no WiFi (but an ethernet cable instead) would be a good way to know $100 or so off the price. Of course it has to come with the right marketing strategy too, which Sony, sadly, seem very poor at these days.

Of course all this talk of sales is not stopping any of us from enjoying our games and, quite honestly, I'm getting bored of the business side of games. I just want to see God Of War 3 dammit.

atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By atejas
    hidys said:
    sabataging
    oh wow

He seems to be addressing the article from the viewpoint of a Blu-Ray player over a gaming console- They talk more about 1080p and Netflix, and only once mention the other consoles at all.

Honestly, I think this year has been better for Sony, but they seriously need to drop their price.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By get2sammyb
    atejas said:
    "hidys said:
    sabataging
    oh wow

He seems to be addressing the article from the viewpoint of a Blu-Ray player over a gaming console- They talk more about 1080p and Netflix, and only once mention the other consoles at all.

Honestly, I think this year has been better for Sony, but they seriously need to drop their price."
    They will next year. And they have an even better software lineup (if this years wasn't good enough). They have everything in place, let's just hope they have the marketing set up accordingly.

They could do with some positive news behind them aswell. Hopefully the God Of War III and Uncharted 2 unveilings will at least give everyone something positive to talk about.

Of course, when Microsoft start giving away 360's with Happy Meals, then even the Wii is fucked ;)
    atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By atejas
    get2sammyb said:
    They will next year. 
    Has this been confirmed or is this a rumour or speculation?
    Because I'd love to buy a PS3 after I go to college, and it would be nice if it was cheaper.

And had backward compatibility. Seriously, Sony....
    MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

He isn't dissing the PS3, he quite clearly says how much he loves the PS3. He is dissing Sony's marketing strategy.

Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Manachild
    MattyFTM said:
    "He isn't dissing the PS3, he quite clearly says how much he loves the PS3. He is dissing Sony's marketing strategy."
    Precisely.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By get2sammyb
    atejas said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    They will next year. 
    Because I'd love to buy a PS3 after I go to college, and it would be nice if it was cheaper.

And had backward compatibility. Seriously, Sony...."
    It's more of an educated guess based upon rumour really. Word is it's going to drop price in March. Of course Sony aren't going to admit that because they'd shoot any Christmas sales they could have had in the foot.

Here's an interesting graph which shows sales in the US and Japan.

Anyway, I fear I'm going to turn this into a flame thread, I just wanted to cement that Sony aren't actually doing that badly at all.

Having said that, I'll reiterate once again so as not to make myself look like a complete twonk -- Sony's marketing has been piss poor and they really need to get it spot on next year to compete with a system that's effectively half price.
    Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By Kazona
    get2sammyb said:
    "atejas said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    They will next year. 

It's more of an educated guess based upon rumour really. Word is it's going to drop price in March. Of course Sony aren't going to admit that because they'd shoot any Christmas sales they could have had in the foot.
    I actually think they have confirmed the price drop. I think I remember reading something about it on gamespot. Too lazy to find a link right now though.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By get2sammyb
    Kazona said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "atejas said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    They will next year. 

I actually think they have confirmed the price drop. I think I remember reading something about it on gamespot. Too lazy to find a link right now though."
    Maybe they have. It'll be worth holding out until March anyway because you'll be able to pick up a copy of Killzone 2 with your system.
    tirminyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tirminyl
    get2sammyb said:
    "Granted though, I'll say again, they should have done something to keep closer to the 360 this year. A budget sku perhaps with a 20gb HDD and no WiFi (but an ethernet cable instead) would be a good way to know $100 or so off the price. Of course it has to come with the right marketing strategy too, which Sony, sadly, seem very poor at these days."
    I don't think a budget sku will be in Sony's best interest.  For HDD, it doesn't matter what the size is as it costs them the same price no matter what. I believe I read somewhere that smaller HDD were more expensive to pack in than larger HDD, which is why you see Sony and Microsoft packing in larger HDD.  Also, they aren't going to want to seperate their user base by including no wifi, or even no HDD.  They want everyone to have the choice of wired or wireless connection and they want to continue the PSP to PS3 support.  People wanted the price dropped so they cut usb ports, memory card readers, and bc.
    I expect a price drop in March or April for the start of their new fiscal year.
    noiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By noiz
    get2sammyb said:

Good point they have had a good year overall considering the difference in price.  I guess software sales are really more of a concern than hardware sales. Let's hope they get the marketing right for Killzone 2.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By coakroach

Sony cant sell its console for shit
    Too bad, because its got some damn fine games

PufferFiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By PufferFiz
    coakroach said:
    "Sony cant sell its console for shit
    Too bad, because its got some damn fine games"
    get2sammyb said:

SgtReznor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#20  Edited By SgtReznor
    get2sammyb said:
    "atejas said:

Anyway, I fear I'm going to turn this into a flame thread, I just wanted to cement that Sony aren't actually doing that badly at all.

Having said that, I'll reiterate once again so as not to make myself look like a complete twonk -- Sony's marketing has been piss poor and they really need to get it spot on next year to compete with a system that's effectively half price."

I do wonder how though how the Japan stats bring down those in the US - I mean, for example the 360 sells fuck all in Japan - they're all mad for Nintendo anything, and MS have never been really able to break that market
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I wouldn't call that a diss to the PS3. He was just talking about how Sony is completely disconnected from the consumer en masse.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TwoOneFive
    i swear sometimes i feel these articles are bought and paid for by microsoft man. 

PS3 1st 2 years > 360's first 2 years

i totally agree that sony's marketing and pricing is hurting its mega potential though. 
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By daniel_beck_90

I have read that issue 2 days ago, as I said before Sony lost 2008 but I hope  2009 would bring some changes with great exclusive titles .

CrimsonAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By CrimsonAngel

Its all a matter of view point really.

SONY's marketing have more or less fucked up at the holidays and Microsoft had more less screwed them self over the other 3/4 of the year, but you have to remember the press always Considered the PS3 dead and 9/10 times it is going to be negative no matter what.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    CrimsonAngel said:
    "Its all a matter of view point really.

SONY's marketing have more or less fucked up at the holidays and Microsoft had more less screwed them self over the other 3/4 of the year, but you have to remember the press always Considered the PS3 dead and 9/10 times it is going to be negative no matter what."
    A lot of analysts up until recently have placed the PS3 as coming from behind to first, which has always been ridiculous. Now, they're saying they're gonna lose horribly or something.
    They haven't always been anti-PS3. It's a more recent thing for people to say it's done.
    CrimsonAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CrimsonAngel

Actually the Positive streak was more of a Anomaly.

Before that it was all Doom and gloom then there came a few small articles about the PS3 maybe not sucking and now they are back to the doom and gloom.

DavidNTLB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DavidNTLB

I guess sony thinks everyone is made of money

600$ was pushing it in the first place
    crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crunchUK
    DavidNTLB said:
    "I guess sony thinks everyone is made of money
    600$ was pushing it in the first place
    "
    Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Hexpane

I've owned every Sony console except for the pocketstation.   Any rational minded soul can see that the PS3 while technically their most feature rich console, is actually their worst overall product.  It's the most expensive, has the fewest games, the fewest good games, and the 3rd party games look worse on the PS3 than they do on the XBOX.

ALso if you've tried HOME, then you know what an epic PHAIL that service is.  HOME is so bad it's almost funny.  The best part is seeing people running around aimlessly in the lobby complaining about how "this is kinda boring"...
    KINDA?  Standing in a virtual plaza with NO GAMEPLAY is "kinda boring" ROFL

shorap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By shorap
    dcpc10 said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "I've owned every Sony console except for the pocketstation.   Any rational minded soul can see that the PS3 while technically their most feature rich console, is actually their worst overall product.  It's the most expensive, has the fewest games, the fewest good games, and the 3rd party games look worse on the PS3 than they do on the XBOX.

ALso if you've tried HOME, then you know what an epic PHAIL that service is.  HOME is so bad it's almost funny.  The best part is seeing people running around aimlessly in the lobby complaining about how "this is kinda boring"...
    KINDA?  Standing in a virtual plaza with NO GAMEPLAY is "kinda boring" ROFL"
    Why complain about HOME when its still in...

1.beta
    2.and its free"

While your points are correct, Sony has spent a lot of time, effort, and money developing Home over the years.  All that time, effort, and money could have instead been used in different (and maybe better) ways.
    Vacancy009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Vacancy009

Sony's marketing strategy really needs to improve.  Right now both Microsoft and Sony need to be making key alliances with the cable companies so they can offer streaming content for either no additional cost or the same cost cable providers are charging.  Right now I don't need to pay for half the movies on XBL or PSN because it comes with the monthly fee I pay through my cable provider.  Microsoft looks to be heading that way with IPTV but still has a long way to go, however Sony looks to be taking steps back by protecting Blu-Ray.  A good example is of course Netflix, and I'm not talking about what is streamable to the Xbox but the actual HD content that you can stream period.  None of it is Sony.  Anything you can stream from Sony or one of its affiliates is all in standard definition, including Spider Man 3.  The only place you can get HD Sony content is on Blu Ray or on the PSN.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#32  Edited By Chummy8

It can't be a diss if the article is based off of research and publicized facts.. 

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Hexpane
    shorap said:
    "dcpc10 said:
    "Hexpane said:
    "I've owned every Sony console except for the pocketstation.   Any rational minded soul can see that the PS3 while technically their most feature rich console, is actually their worst overall product.  It's the most expensive, has the fewest games, the fewest good games, and the 3rd party games look worse on the PS3 than they do on the XBOX.

KINDA?  Standing in a virtual plaza with NO GAMEPLAY is "kinda boring" ROFL"
    Why complain about HOME when its still in...

1.beta
    2.and its free"

While your points are correct, Sony has spent a lot of time, effort, and money developing Home over the years.  All that time, effort, and money could have instead been used in different (and maybe better) ways.
    "
    Stop using logic and rational thought!  The SDF will constantly say  "Its free, why complain?" .   Herpes is also free, but does that make it good?  As you pointed out 3-4 years of heavy development was spent on HOME, yet we don't even have a real RPG on the system made by Sony or a MMORPG on the system.  The best RPG on the PS3 is ValChron and it's a SEGA game that no one even bought.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By get2sammyb
    SgtReznor said:
    "get2sammyb said:
    "atejas said:

Having said that, I'll reiterate once again so as not to make myself look like a complete twonk -- Sony's marketing has been piss poor and they really need to get it spot on next year to compete with a system that's effectively half price."

I do wonder how though how the Japan stats bring down those in the US - I mean, for example the 360 sells fuck all in Japan - they're all mad for Nintendo anything, and MS have never been really able to break that market"
    That shouldn't really make a difference though should it? I mean really?

People want to talk sales, I bring that up and then people want to talk just American sales? That's not fair really is it? Sony is native in Japan, Microsoft are native in America.

Everyones too busy shitting all over Sony's holiday sales to look at the big picture and see that the PS3 was an ok mover. I'm not saying it sold brilliantly, or anywhere near predictions but it did ok.

Look at that graph one more time and you'll see why Microsoft dropped the 360's price. They were forced into it. If Microsoft didn't do that huge price cut Sony would have taken the year. Even the PS2 was outselling the 360.

I'm not trying to flame the 360, more trying to show that Sony's year wasn't as bad as people have made it out to be. It wasn't great, but it was ok.

Currently the PS3 sits just a million units behind the 360 in the key five European regions: not bad for a system that's been on the market for 16 months less and is currently double the price.

Yes Sony had a very poor holiday season but, on the whole, an ok year. That's all I'm trying to say.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.