Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 3

Platform »

The PlayStation 3 (often abbreviated PS3) is the third home video game console created and released by Sony Computer Entertainment Inc.

whats your take on the Sony's Welcome Back Package?

obanana1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By obanana1

its been a week or so after the PSN restoration was completed and i, like some people have more than on account which tempted me into downloading more games,and since im such a cheep bastard ive downloaded a total of 6 PS3 games and still waiting for 2(japan). 
    the reason i haven't owned them before was due to me living in a country where everything cool or new costs 400%than it does in the US/UK...and for now ive enjoyed every second.so what about you?

lebkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By lebkin

I think it was a win for both me and Sony. I just finished up Infamous and had a great time with it. A great game, especially for the price. It also left me ready to dive in for more, which means Sony will probably get another sale for Infamous 2 soon.

Twitchey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Twitchey

Pretty neat.

I would of liked Uncharted 1 but hey, whatever.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By benjaebe

I wanted to play inFamous and LittleBigPlanet and I got both for free. Good deal for me. Also enjoyed the free 30 days of PS+ so I could finish the Sam and Max season I started before my subscription lapsed.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Lunar_Aura

That is really nice of them to do and playing Wipeout HD is a blast with friends.

Burzmali

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Burzmali

Decent enough. I owned 3 of the 5 free games they gave out, and I had already sort of had my fill of 1 of the others after borrowing it from a friend. So I would have appreciated a larger selection, but I'm not about to complain about free stuff. Now maybe I'll finish Infamous. Wipeout will probably go unplayed, though.

obanana1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By obanana1

has any one used the psn+ for the spring offers? 
    i have downloaded every free game i could press on. 
    does anyone remember JAMES POND? horrifyingly addicting

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By crusader8463

I wasn't expecting anything so I guess it's better then nothing, but I was not a fan of he selection. LBP was the only one that even remotely interested me. Of course though, my PS3 YLOD on me a few weeks ago so I'm fucked out of getting any of that stuff anyway, but when it looked like I was going to get it it didn't blow my mind.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I've been playing LittleBigPlanet all day 

<3

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kishinfoulux

Not sure if I"m in the minority but I was underwhelmed. LittleBigPlanet instead of the sequel? No Uncharted 2? They offer Infamous and Wipeout but I already have those. Then they offer a free 30 day subscription to PSPlus, which isn't really that generous because they basically want you to use it and say "hey this is cool let me hop on full time".

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#11  Edited By Red

I have all the PS3 games on the welcome back deal, and I rarely use my PSP, but I never actually once wanted to use my PS3 during the shutdown (not a problem with the console, just was busy finishing up school and had bought most recent multiplatform games for 360), so loading up my PS3 to play InFamous 2 and getting free stuff felt pretty nice. That free welcome back dynamic 8-bit theme you get is pretty awesome.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#12  Edited By bibamatt

I'm really happy with what I got from the Welcome Back package. I got..

• Infamous
    • Ratchet & Clank Quest for Booty
    • Burnout Paradise
    • Little Big Planet PSP
    • Modnation Racers PSP
    • Streets of Rage 2

...all for free.

You can't really argue with that lot, if you don't already own them of course. I've been ABSOLUTELY hooked on Burnout Paradise since I got it and am thoroughly enjoying my time with Infamous. I think it's worked out pretty well for Sony in my case too, as I'll be subscribing to (at least) the 90 day PS+ program once mine has expired. Seriously, I'd pay almost £11.99 just to keep Burnout, never mind the three months of stuff that is still to come. Looking forward to seeing what comes in July's PS+ update.

I'm really happy. I'd completely fallen out of love with my PS3 for the past year or so. My Xbox was getting all my attention and I don't think I'd bought a PS game since Heavy Rain. Totally back in it to win it now, though.

obanana1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By obanana1

note: anything downloaded or bought using the PSN+ will expire in the end of the subscription. which disappointed me a bit...

Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Aus_azn

I didn't own any of the games, so I was happy. Why would I complain about free shit, even if I already had it?

@kishinfoulux said:

Not sure if I"m in the minority but I was underwhelmed. LittleBigPlanet instead of the sequel? No Uncharted 2? They offer Infamous and Wipeout but I already have those. Then they offer a free 30 day subscription to PSPlus, which isn't really that generous because they basically want you to use it and say "hey this is cool let me hop on full time".
    I'm not sure if this is "facepalm" worthy or not... It's clear that they're using the program to drum up interest for the sequel, and there's no sense in them losing good sales for games that are still practically at full retail value (as LBP2 is and I'm pretty sure Uncharted 2 GOTY is)... Instead, they use GH games that aren't worth much money, because in doing so, it's basically nuked the used game market for those 5 games and they are now practically worthless.
    Avatar image for deactivated-643fcf03a370c
    deactivated-643fcf03a370c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Aus_azn said:
    I didn't own any of the games, so I was happy. Why would I complain about free shit, even if I already had it?

@kishinfoulux said:
    I'm not sure if this is "facepalm" worthy or not... It's clear that they're using the program to drum up interest for the sequel, and there's no sense in them losing good sales for games that are still practically at full retail value (as LBP2 is and I'm pretty sure Uncharted 2 GOTY is)... Instead, they use GH games that aren't worth much money, because in doing so, it's basically nuked the used game market for those 5 games and they are now practically worthless.
    That's the way I've been looking at it too, this is partly a marketing ploy. Getting people interested in some Sony franchises as well as PlayStation Plus. I think it's really smart what they've done, mainly because it's working on me (I want Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time badly).
    Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GunslingerPanda

I just started the downloads for Ratchet and inFamous. Pretty happy about that.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By copycatzen

@bibamatt: How did you get Burnout free, I looked at it and it was not. And yes I had the PSN+ offer activated already.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By kishinfoulux
    @Aus_azn said:

@kishinfoulux said:
    If they want to make me believe they are being sincere (which they aren't) then they should offer something better. Plain and simple.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By phish09

It took about an hour and a half to download Wipeout HD which is fucking ridiculous (it's a little over 1GB) and around forty minutes to download Fury, but whatever, it's free so I can't complain.  My one complaint is that I'm not interested in Dead Nation or Super Stardust HD and I already have LBP and inFamous...so which should I get SSHD or Dead Nation?

ConstantRa1n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ConstantRa1n

Cheap. Sony should have given us one NEW RELEASE for free.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By bibamatt

@copycatzen: Maybe it's not part of PS+ in your country? I'm in the UK and there's ads for it all over the PSN store, can't miss it.

PrivateIronTFU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By PrivateIronTFU

I downloaded inFamous 1, which took forever, but whatever. It's a decent game, and well worth the zero dollars. And I also got Dead Nation, which is hard, but a lot of fun. With the free PS Plus subscription I downloaded the Killzone 3 map packs for free, which are awesome. All in all, can't really complain.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#23  Edited By Siphillis

I still need a way to store all that content.  My 40GB SKU is far from up to the task.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Hector

I bought a PS3 about 3 months ago, never owned one before so I never had the chance to play any of those titles. So the Welcome Back package was great for me.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CaptainCody

Pretty shitty, I understand new releases is unfair to the developers but near-launch games? Nope.
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By PerryVandell

It's a pretty good deal, although I already owned Infamous and Little Big Planet. Sony being hacked wasn't their fault, and it's nice they gave some free games away as an apology.

copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By copycatzen

@bibamatt: Thanks for the info, it must be that. Im in the US

CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By CaptainCoke

Not bad, but I had Infamous and LBP already. Tried Ratchet and Clank but had to turn it off after 15 minutes, cause it sucked so bad... Maybe I can tradein LBP and Nfamous for like $3 and use towards something else...

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i didnt mind when the PSN outage happened because i was so consumed by Assassins Creed II and GTA IV so i didnt care whether i could play online or not.  the welcome back package is great considering i didnt feel angry about the outage.  i already own Infamous and im glad lots of people could play the game for free

teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By teekomeeko

Thankfully I had accounts from other parts of the world before the outage, so I got a better selection of freebies since. Sure, I already played most of the games available, but I didn't own them digitally, so that's the bigger bonus. I can now play LBP1 again, this time with my 8yo nephew who loves helping me in LBP2 (if he stops misbehaving long enough to get permission). Now if only I knew other people with PS3s that played something besides CoD so I get my Dead Nation co-op on... I gotta get a better friends list.

Edit: Apparently this is a super late reply. My bad.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.