Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Here's the PlayStation 4, Taken Apart and Dissected.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Wired have an Article up showing the the Insides of a PS4.

“Things have gotten a little more standard, in layman’s terms. The Sony hardware, historically, has been very quirky. If you were willing to put the effort in to take advantage of those quirks, you could do some incredible things, but there was a lot of effort involved to just get to the point of getting everything running. That’s less the case with this [console] generation.”

That said, the PS4 still goes beyond the average PC, combining a CPU, the central brain of any computer, with a GPU, which is typically used to render graphics. The result is a processor that can juggle those two roles with unusual efficiency, as it taps into 8GB of GDDR5 memory — 16 times what you got with the PS3. What this ultimately gives you, Cerny explains, are “richer” game worlds. In other words, if you enter a virtual city during a PS4 game, “everyone looks different — finally.”

Zimmermann says much the same thing. “There is more fine detail on everything on the screen, but for us, the real changes are more qualitative,” he explains, explaining that the console has allowed games to offer, among other things, a more realistic lighting model. “Things we couldn’t do before — like wet streets — we can now do an exceptional job on.”

It should be noted that many high-end PC gaming rigs provide much the same horsepower as the PS4, but the console certainly exceeds what you get in the new world of mobile games, and it offers one thing you don’t get from a PC: the enormous game machine that is Sony, which owns a wide array of well-known game design houses, including Sucker Punch. It’s these design houses that will ultimately show the worth of the PS4. “It’s not the box that counts as much as the games,” says Harold Goldberg.

Wired

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

Every time i see the PS4 it looks smaller and smaller in comparison to the 1st PS3 Model.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Looks good. I heard that the layout will make heat almost a non-issue.

zero_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Also from that promo, a fantastic article on the creation of the PS4 with Cerny, Yoshida and House: http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/11/playstation-4/

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I don't know anything about electronics but it looks at least %50 faster than the XBO.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm holding out for a video where one is smashed apart with a blunt instrument.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Sessler is screaming that he doesn't have one to dismantle himself.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By MariachiMacabre

Yeah okay but can I order pizza with it?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

The PS4 - it's more powerful than a mobile phone!

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

Thermal design looks good

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

I don't know anything about electronics but it looks at least %50 faster than the XBO.

this is what we know regarding the specs including the newest Nintendo specs

No Caption Provided

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“It’s not the box that counts as much as the games,” says Harold Goldberg.

Good to see that as this has been proven over and over again as Indie games have made one hell of an impact, in recent years.

rethla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@budwyzer said:

“It’s not the box that counts as much as the games,” says Harold Goldberg.

Good to see that as this has been proven over and over again as Indie games have made one hell of an impact, in recent years.

Becouse they are cheap and easy to develop and distribute on modern gaming hardware so what is really proven here?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@humanity said:

this is what we know regarding the specs including the newest Nintendo specs

No Caption Provided

That's surprisingly accurate base on the types of GPU/cpu that's been confirmed to be in these consoles and also a little surprising at the disparity in this generation.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@shinjin977: is it weird that I laughed pretty hard seeing where the Win U sits when compared to the other consoles? I'm also sad I bought one and it's sitting unused under my TV. At least I got Wind Waker.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjin977: is it weird that I laughed pretty hard seeing where the Win U sits when compared to the other consoles? I'm also sad I bought one and it's sitting unused under my TV. At least I got Wind Waker.

its kind of funny yes but the games coming out for that thing are more promising than anything on both the new consoles (this holiday at least). I will promptly pick up a Wiiu as soon as X/Bayonetta 2 comes out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.