Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

How often do you rebuild the database on your PS4?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

I've only done it once: back in August when Hellblade was out. I'm not sure it was necessary, but I thought I'd do it because the system was running somewhat loud (as it does with many games that are using the system to its fullest, like Uncharted 4). I was just wondering if it's a necessity and should be done often, or just when you run into issues. I remember thinking I might do it yearly, but I don't know. I've read that it's a defragger for the system more or less, and that seems like a good thing. How often do you do it, and when should you do it?

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Every time the fucking power goes out.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal: Hmm. Yeah, I haven't had a power outage in a while. I just did it for the heck of it. Still, I am curious and the question still stands.

BallsLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@retrometal: Ditto, they refuse to bury powerlines or trim trees around here.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@retrometal:Ha, same.

@ntm: My PS4's hella loud when I run FFXIV, might try the database thing... not sure it'll help, but maybe worth a shot.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@someoneproud: Already did. I'm not sure if the fan running harder is relieved due to the database. I did, however, turn the systems off for a while as I cleaned my room and then I vacuumed out the systems. I went back to Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus and it was kind of running loud. It isn't so much now actually. I also just preordered (and I never preorder) Shadow of the Colossus since I knew I was going to play it regardless, so it was a good time to clean the systems out.

Edit - Oh, I just noticed you meant you might try it. Yeah, maybe. Maybe turn the system off and vacuum it out too. I think it's also just up to the game.

@ballsleon: Yeah, the power lines here are below ground (at least in my neighborhood). That said, while we don't get many power outages, it's not unheard of even with them underground. I just read that undergrounding can cost five to ten times more than having them above ground, so that's probably the reason they're not widely used.

MattGiersoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I've never done it, though my PS4 slim is only 1 year old. It runs fine, never had any problems, it's just as fast as it was day of purchase. Sometimes the fans get loud in some games, but well, they're fans and they do their job. I don't expect my system to be whisper quiet during a demanding game, plus it's like 0,5m from where I sit. Seems like you should rebuild the database if your run into problems since that's what often the support might tell you.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattgiersoni: I got my PS4 at the very end of 2013. I haven't had any real issue with it, though ever since I've had it, sometimes (though not too often) some games crash and I get the CE-34878-0 error. I sit 5.6 feet away from my TV and systems, so the system can sometimes sound louder than I want it. I'm not really concerned about the correlation between fan and defragging the system though. I'd rather just get the dust out a potentially dust ridden system than rebuild the database for that. I'm just curious if there really is any reason to do it every so often, like cleaning a PC, or just when there's an issue.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:
    @retrometal said:

You guys don't... uh... use UPSes?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#11  Edited By isomeri

I've never done this nor known it's something I should do.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How long does this usually take? I’ve never done it on my PS4 of about 3 years.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I mean, I have in the past.

But they are expensive and once your UPS battery gives it up and the entire house smells like rotten eggs for a week, you get over them.

@ev77 said:
    @nodima said:
    @retrometal said:

You guys don't... uh... use UPSes?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever something goes fucky with rest mode. Tends to happen when you have a PSVR attached... VR does not like rest mode, apparently, and it can finagle your calibrations. Oftentimes a simple reboot works, but sometimes that database needs rebuildin'.

And, of course, power outages.

Quipido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Quipido

I do it manualy around every quarter or so.

maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@shagge said:

Whenever something goes fucky with rest mode. Tends to happen when you have a PSVR attached... VR does not like rest mode, apparently, and it can finagle your calibrations. Oftentimes a simple reboot works, but sometimes that database needs rebuildin'.

And, of course, power outages.

The rest mode thing. I don't have a PSVR but my rest mode still sometimes goes weird and I come back and it says "your PS4 shut down improperly" or whatever. No idea why, as it was just sitting in rest mode. Other than that though (and power outages of course) I don't ever both rebuilding the database. Seems fine.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Can someone explain to me what "rebuilding the database" does on a PS4? Why should I do this?

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By bybeach

I'm here in this thread to learn something rather than say I do or don't(I actually do remember rebuilding the data base once on my first PS4) But I have had one hell of a concern about my fans running so loud on my PS4 pro.

So, it's not unusual...

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ntm: Yeah, I suspect cleaning out the dust is more likely to help. I'll try that first I think.

@colonel_pockets: I believe it's akin to defragging a drive on PC. Organizes the data on the drive to potentially free up the memory between the bits being used and also make accessing the data quicker. Takes all the used chunks of memory and puts them directly next to each other instead of being spread out with wasted space between (probably an oversimplification).

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

@someoneproud: Thanks! I guess I'll give it a shot when I get the chance.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@re_player1: The site says it depends, but for me, it only takes about a minute and a half.

ev77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ev77

@retrometal: That's unfortunate, sounds like you got a lemon. I've had a few die over the years and they've never had a smell. The battery ports just stop working (but the non-battery backed up ports still work).

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I lose power far more than I should where I live (I'd estimate 15+ times in 3 or 4 years).

The PS4 gets really cross and beeps angrily at me as if it was my fault.

Not great when I forget and go to boot up the PS4 at night when kids are asleep.

I wish the Beeping sound could be turned off.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.