Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

["insider" rumor] Heavier focus on JRPGs from Sony.

• 78 results
    Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Aegon

Around the net, It's being heavily implied and in some cases outright stated (mostly on NeoGAF, since that's where everything leaks) that there will be a much larger focus on Japanese games on PS4 than there was with the previous generation. Specifically in the realm of JRPGs.

Verendus over on NeoGAF has talked multiple times about a couple of games that SCEJ (Sony's internal studio) is working on together with Level 5 and Square. Earlier today, he added to this by saying there are 3 more in the pipeline that will be coming later on (one likely being announced in 2016). He also mentioned a ton of other 3rd party JRPGs (FF7 spin-off, FF6 remake, new Parasite Eve) and games in other genres, so take a look at this list if you're curious. This guy is fairly trusted as I understand. I think some of his previous "predictions" have come true, although I haven't followed that stuff super closely, so if anyone has direct examples, feel free to post them.

He's saying that we will see 2 of these JRPGs in a short while (E3 probably, TGS definitely, if he's telling the truth)

If this rumor ends up being true...well, it would be a nice surprise (depending on the quality of the end product). But for comparison, let's take a look at SCEJ's RPG output on the PS3:

• Co-developed - White Knight Chronicles and White Knight Chronicles 2 with Level 5, Demon's Souls with From Software (Hey, it's a Japanese RPG)
    • Internally developed - none

That's 3 games. Now take into account this "insider info". That's 5 JRPGs that SCEJ currently has their hands on and they already put out Bloodborne with From. Sony's returning to its roots and it's pretty exciting. It's great watching both Sony and these other Japanese companies trying to make a bigger impact than they did last time around.

So, do you think this is true? Do you hope this is true? Any guesses on what some of these mystery projects might be? Hopefully E3 has some answers.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I just take that as they will have any focus on JRPGs at all compared to practically none before. I'm still okay with that.

Legend of Dragoon 2/reboot please? Thanks Sony.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Well...yeah. Just take a look at the list above.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Zeik

@aegon: What I mean is that "heavier focus on JRPGs" is an exciting headline that kinda makes it sound like they're returning to the days of the playstation 1 and 2 when JRPGs were king, but it more likely just means they suddenly remembered that JRPGs existed at all. Which I'm still okay with, but I'm not going to expect to play new console JRPGs left and right like I did back then.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Verendus is known to troll a bit as well. I'm guessing a lot of it is true, but some is probably just bullshit or is so early in planning that there's still a big chsnce we never get it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I would love if, say, Vesperia would see a remastered PS4 version or something with all its PS3 port additions. Wanted to play that version for so long now. I guess that fan-patch is out now, but ehhhh, that would require more rejiggering with my PS3 than I'm comfortable with.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By chroipahtz

I doubt it's true, but I HOPE it's true, because I still love JRPGs. Still, it's a bit of a stretch to say there's been no focus on JRPGs -- they've just all gone to the Vita. That platform is a goldmine for niche JRPG stuff. Not big name stuff like from Square/Pokemon/Tales-level stuff, but lots of NIS/Gust/Atlus stuff and smaller companies, mainly.

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DMC5???

T_wester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it but I do agree with one thing the source said:

All sounds like bullshit, doesn't it?

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I doubt it's true, but I HOPE it's true, because I still love JRPGs. Still, it's a bit of a stretch to say there's been no focus on JRPGs -- they've just all gone to the Vita. That platform is a goldmine for niche JRPG stuff. Not big name stuff like from Square/Pokemon/Tales-level stuff, but lots of NIS/Gust/Atlus stuff and smaller companies, mainly.

This seems to be specifically about Sony developed JRPGs on PS4. They have minimal influence on what other companies are doing.

It seems like most of the stuff that ends up on Vita are ports though. Which can be nice for stuff like Disgaea, but the 3DS is where all the new exciting stuff seems to go.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just noticed a new Shadow Hearts on is on that list. As exciting as that would be, I'm officially way more skeptical now. That's not going to happen.

Avatar image for deactivated-629fb02f57a5a
    deactivated-629fb02f57a5a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

You know what they say about something that sounds too good to be true.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Aegon

@zeik said:

I just noticed a new Shadow Hearts on is on that list. As exciting as that would be, I'm officially way more skeptical now. That's not going to happen.

As someone mentioned, Verendus has mostly authentic info, but he likes to mix in some bullshit in there. That could be it.

In any case, if the two JRPGs that SCEJ is involved with show up at E3, that'll be a confirmation of what he's saying. If not, then there are other conferences in the year. I think E3 is the one though.

chroipahtz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weirder things have happened. Langrisser was revived for fuck's sake.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#15  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

They could certainly use some games for that platform. Has there been a single PS4 exclusive release this year beyond The Order and Bloodborne that wasn't just a HD remake of a less than two years old PS3 title?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

*fingers crossed* Come on, new Valkyria Chronicles on the PS4. Come on, Dragon Quest XI. Come on, Dark Cloud 3.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FF6 remake, huh? I dunno if I would be more excited about that or scared if it turned out to be true.

maginnovision

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A new parasite eve would be cool, but I'd rather a new legend of legaia.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Unless I'm crazy I remember a few months ago Square mentioned that they were working on an unannounced console RPG. JRPG's really were a shame last generation, so it'd be nice if that changed this time around, but it seems unlikely based on developer track records and the realities of modern asset generation.

slickdasani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait for Square to port all the remakes of old Final Fantasy games they've made through out the years to the PS4.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maginnovision: I'd love a new good Legend of Legaia, but Legaia 2 was just so bad it's hard too hyped for that idea.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bane122

@cmblasko: The thing about it is I don't think 6 is much smaller, if smaller at all, than 7. Why would either company devote resources to that before a 7 remake?

I'd be really interested in seeing it happen, but that's a part of all this that doesn't make much sense to me.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I always feel funny when people call Dark Souls and RPG. It's a third person action adventure with some rpg leveling mechanics and gear in my book.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also you guys should keep in mind that most of this list will not be at E3. Only thing he's specific on with dates is the two SCEJ JRPGs which are supposed to show up this year. So those would be the easiest to keep track of once they're announced.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Zeik

@korwin: Dark Souls is definitely an RPG to me. Whether it's a "JRPG" or not is up for debate, but I would definitely classify it as an action-RPG.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Given the state of JRPG dev houses and the state of the Japanese console market I definitely don't believe this, but extra especially when reading the source.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag: Then the only way to settle this, is wait. An exciting game. It helps if you have a life.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@aegon: fwiw I didn't mean you, I meant your source (some dude on GAF) I consider to be shaky. Sorry if there was confusion there

I'd love for it to be true, but it sounds too much like every other E3 fan wish fulfillment rumor I've heard.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

I always feel funny when people call Dark Souls and RPG. It's a third person action adventure with some rpg leveling mechanics and gear in my book.

Not sure if it's still the case but I remember back when Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past was commonly referred to as a RPG. That one REALLY confused me.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
    ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If even a quarter of that list is true I'll be a happy camper.

PS4 Monster Hunter just might destroy my life though...

TN04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee: Ahhh that game is so good. It has styyyyyyyyle for sure that couldn't really get out of the other tales games.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

All those big budget JRPGs being made these days.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

That's a good thing, I would love to play some good JRPGs on the PS4. Who am I kidding, all I want is Persona 5!

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Aegon

@slag: No, I know you meant the NeoGAF source. Honestly I'm not dying for this to be true. There are already so many promising JRPGs on the horizon. I just want more output from the Japanese devs in general. Games like Splatoon, Wonderful 101, and Persona 5 speak to me more than most critically acclaimed Western games. Having said that, I'm still looking forward to playing stuff like Witcher 3 and Arkham Knight.

babblerock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ctrl f "wild arms"

no results. idgaf about this initiative I guess

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This seems really fishy to me.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Aegon

Some interesting stuff this guy is writing again. The way he's talking, it seems like he's implying he's on the Japanese side of Sony or he's somehow clued in on the deal making that happens.

Back in 2013, SCEJ/A approached a lot of developers/publishers like Square Enix, CC2, Level-5, BN, Sega etc.

The idea was to provide funding, or incentives, and help mitigate risk, in an effort to build a solid foundation. Some were obviously more welcoming, and others had a little bit of their own ideas. The issue here is that some of these approaches would've been better made a little earlier, because there's only so much resource, and it's taken a while to get going, because no one is sitting on their hands. The companies have their plans, and you have to work together to get things going. On a more positive note, the Dragon Quest discussions back then turned into something really meaningful, so that's going to be a series of titles that should help a good amount. Beyond that, because developers like CC2 and Level-5 are pretty eager to get notable projects done on current gen, it's been a case of fitting things in with them at the appropriate time. They could end up as pretty key players, depending on how things go. Level-5 is soon to announce the first of its projects, which should hopefully do well in Japan, but also worldwide. Then when we have CC2, Sega, and the others slowly coming through, so we should be able to build some consistency. Obviously, there's Japan Studio, Sony's own, who are pretty ready to show off their next games soon. PS4's price cut, and positioning with all these titles should help too.

The larger problem here is that you can't really fight against the market changing over there. The most you can do is build something worthwhile for yourself. And to build the necessary momentum has taken longer than expected, since bigger titles means longer time, which also means positioning can be difficult.

I think the worst is behind us now in that market. Moving forward, there should be a good few titles that will be coming consistently to help make more of a difference, but I don't expect fortune to change a great deal. Nonetheless, it'll be a lot better than now. It's kind of a struggle, but it's early days. We've a long way to go yet. I think of 2014/2015 as transitional years in Japan. 2016, we start hopefully reaping the rewards, and things start looking more positive than before since a lot of projects will start getting announced and released.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CC2 has been talking about doing a current gen .hack for quite awhile, and level 5 is one of the few that did console JRPGs last gen, so that part is more or less believable. But he could also just be cobbling together common rumors and vague facts to make it all seem more valid.

Still gonna take it with a grain of salt, but I'm still going to hope there's some truth in there.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mean if we get any JRPG's then that'd be better than what we've been getting... which is mostly nothing. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with all those Atlus games, Atelier, Disgaea, and so on. But most of them seem to be the same game, and much as I like anime, I don't like EVERY JRPG to be anime.

My hope is that we get more JRPG's, which should have a higher chance of giving us some that are actually good. I remember being inundated with them in the PS1/2 era, but the ones that were good were really fucking good.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ArtisanBreads

He brings up SEGA coming through with PS4 support? We're talking JRPGs?

I don't see what this guy is saying. He's saying the Japanese market is transitioning to what? From console to mobile... back to console? JRPGs and consoles just back on top? Not saying it isn't possible but just reads like a real "my uncle works at Nintendo" 'Insider'.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you count Atlus as "SEGA" they technically have one of the most high profile JRPGs confirmed to be coming out.

If it's actual SEGA that's a bit harder to swallow.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Aegon

@zeik said:
    @artisanbreads said:

If you count Atlus as "SEGA" they technically have one of the most high profile JRPGs confirmed to be coming out.

If it's actual SEGA that's a bit harder to swallow.

In his list that I posted a link to in the OP, he mentioned a Sega action/adventure game. So no, not an RPG as far as I know.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And i bet they will come out the same day as The Last Guardian and #jrpgvita.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon said:

In his list that I posted a link to in the OP, he mentioned a Sega action/adventure game. So no, not an RPG as far as I know.

SEGA who just recently said they are basically done with anything but mobile and western aimed PC games? They're making their own game? I don't buy it.

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ni No Kuni was my last GOOD jrpg I played. Really looking forward to some new IPs.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Level-5 said they would be announcing their PS4 exclusive game at E3 sometime at the end of last year.

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Aegon

@awesomeusername said:

Level-5 said they would be announcing their PS4 exclusive game at E3 sometime at the end of last year.

Yeah, and I believe Verendus posted about that a while before Level-5 mentioned it. Adding to his credibility. I also think he teased Bloodborne. Again, if I'm getting any of this wrong and a NeoGAF poster that's more knowledgeable about this is lurking, feel free to clarify. I've only recently started paying attention to this.

Seauton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aegon: FF6 remake. What are we talking here...an up-res, a remake? The potential for this has me going off the walls.

hollitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

@yummylee said:

I would love if, say, Vesperia would see a remastered PS4 version or something with all its PS3 port additions. Wanted to play that version for so long now. I guess that fan-patch is out now, but ehhhh, that would require more rejiggering with my PS3 than I'm comfortable with.

That would be fantastic.

I suppose we'll be seeing Star Ocean at the Sony press conference.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By BananasFoster

@aegon said:

Around the net, It's being heavily implied and in some cases outright stated (mostly on NeoGAF, since that's where everything leaks) that there will be a much larger focus on Japanese games on PS4 than there was with the previous generation. Specifically in the realm of JRPGs.

Verendus over on NeoGAF has talked multiple times about a couple of games that SCEJ (Sony's internal studio) is working on together with Level 5 and Square. Earlier today, he added to this by saying there are 3 more in the pipeline that will be coming later on (one likely being announced in 2016). He also mentioned a ton of other 3rd party JRPGs (FF7 spin-off, FF6 remake, new Parasite Eve) and games in other genres, so take a look at this list if you're curious. This guy is fairly trusted as I understand. I think some of his previous "predictions" have come true, although I haven't followed that stuff super closely, so if anyone has direct examples, feel free to post them.

He's saying that we will see 2 of these JRPGs in a short while (E3 probably, TGS definitely, if he's telling the truth)

If this rumor ends up being true...well, it would be a nice surprise (depending on the quality of the end product). But for comparison, let's take a look at SCEJ's RPG output on the PS3:

• Co-developed - White Knight Chronicles and White Knight Chronicles 2 with Level 5, Demon's Souls with From Software (Hey, it's a Japanese RPG)
    • Internally developed - none

That's 3 games. Now take into account this "insider info". That's 5 JRPGs that SCEJ currently has their hands on and they already put out Bloodborne with From. Sony's returning to its roots and it's pretty exciting. It's great watching both Sony and these other Japanese companies trying to make a bigger impact than they did last time around.

So, do you think this is true? Do you hope this is true? Any guesses on what some of these mystery projects might be? Hopefully E3 has some answers.

I feel like this is somewhat irrelevant because... what is a JRPG anymore? Japan doesn't know how to make them any longer. They almost confess that. Basically anything post Kingdom Hearts has adopted a wide action influence and emphasized exploration and typical JRPG elements. It works for kingdom hearts, apparently for people, but it rarely works in other franchises.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.