Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

Is there a definite launch line-up set yet?

• 57 results
    Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

All I've heard is what was on the recent Bombcast, a dubious Kotaku article, and a wiki page that doesn't have much except "launch window" stuff.

Here's what I know:

Watch Dogs

NBA 2k14

Madden 25

Knack

Assassin's Creed IV

Killzone

Is the new inFamous game day one?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Infamous is around feb

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By djou

In terms of disc based games you can check what Amazon and GameStop have up as bundles. Those are a sure thing for launch day. I bet there will be some downloadable games (a la the Witness) and maybe some F2P stuff but otherwise there are slim pickings. Most games are Q1 2014, like Infamous.

The big two you missed were CoD and BF4.

Avatar image for maskedarcstrike
    maskedarcstrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

BF4 is spose to be around launch.

zaccheus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By zaccheus
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

PS4 launch is looking really mediocre so far compared to Xbox One. Sony does have more exclusive developers overall though (20 compard to Microsoft's 15 I think) so expect more games in 2014.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

expect more announcements at gamescom, whether its 2014 games or downloadable 2013 games we'ill see.

the hot one being speculated on is that we'll see the media molecule game revealed at this event. and that we'ill see "deep down" at TGS,

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I believe Drive Club is also confirmed for launch.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

PS4 launch is looking really mediocre so far compared to Xbox One. Sony does have more exclusive developers overall though (20 compard to Microsoft's 15 I think) so expect more games in 2014.

I'm sorry but... no.

Forza might be better than Drive Club (or it might not be for all we know), but then what else is an exclusive launch title that's supposed to be awesome? Killer Instinct? HAH!

Killzone might be just another FPS, but at least it's a generally good one with great multiplayer.

Knack's hit or miss, might be the next Crash Bandicoot, might be completely worthless.

Also, PS+ gives us access to DriveClub, Don't Starve, Outlast, and Secret Ponchos on day one.

But both launches are going to be great due to third party stuff like Watch Dogs, AC IV, BF4, CoD, All of the sports stuff... there's a ton of stuff to pick up on day one.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I'm pretty sure The Order: 1886 is going to be a launch title, as there is a console bundle with that game already. Same with Killzone, Infamous, Knack, and Drive Club. I've heard Battlefield 4 will be launch as well, though I haven't seen any concrete evidence of that yet.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

Need for Speed: Rivals and COD:Ghosts

roland_d11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By roland_d11

@turboman: Didn't they say that Driveclub PS+ Edition would be on Day One and the other games are coming later?

And I think both first party launch-lineups are pretty weak. The major part of the launch games will be third party, most of them on both systems.

Sadly, the most impressive exclusives are coming early next year (Titanfall on Xbox, Infamous on PS4) or are way down the line. The Order for example looked very, very early, I expect that game holiday 2014 at the earliest. And Quantum Break, which looked interesting might be holiday 2014 as well.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

And I think both first party launch-lineups are pretty weak. The major part of the launch games will be third party, most of them on both systems.

I think that holds true for most of this current generation. Most of the games I love are multi-platform. A good exclusive is almost a bonus at this point, and I'm not really seeing anything on either side that screams out 'system seller'

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By djou

PS4 launch is looking really mediocre so far compared to Xbox One.

How so? The only game that MS has confirmed for launch that is not on the PS4 is Dead Rising 3. The rest are Q1 2014 or unannounced same as Sony. Titanfall the only game that would make me buy a launch Xbox isn't until Spring next year.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By strainedeyes
    • Battlefield 4
    • Driveclub
    • Need for Speed: Rivals
    • Call of Duty: Ghosts
    • DC Universe Online

Near launch: Planetside 2

Mnemoidian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Warframe is also a launch title for PS4. Seems a bit early for a "definite" list, though.

Definitely preliminary definite list? :P

Aquablak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Battlefield 4
    • Driveclub
    • DC Universe Online
    • Planetside 2

Is Planetside 2 a definite launch game?

That would be fantastic.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aquablak said:

@strainedeyes said:
    • Battlefield 4
    • Driveclub
    • DC Universe Online
    • Planetside 2

Is Planetside 2 a definite launch game?

That would be fantastic.

No I guess it's not official. Sounds like it will be close to Launch though.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Didn't they say that Driveclub PS+ Edition would be on Day One and the other games are coming later?

Sadly, the most impressive exclusives are coming early next year (Titanfall on Xbox, Infamous on PS4) or are way down the line. The Order for example looked very, very early, I expect that game holiday 2014 at the earliest. And Quantum Break, which looked interesting might be holiday 2014 as well.

Yeah, Driveclub PS+ edition is going to be the first PS+ update for PS4 (probably will be out on launch).

Killzone could be killer, but I think most people are going to choose Battlefield 4 or Call of Duty over it. I still haven't seen any gameplay from Driveclub, but those Motorstorm games (especially the second one) was a ton of fun (if Driveclub is a bust, a new NFS game from Criterion should be a winner). Knack's just a throwback to PSOne games.

Infamous is definitely the killer exclusive (as well as Titanfall for XBONE) for the PS4. Sony's already said that they're holding back on announcing their first party games, and will announce some more and Gamescom and TGS.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

But.. Titanfall isn't exclusive.

RobDaFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@mooshu said:

Its not coming to PS4................atleast not for a long while.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Transistor supposed to be available day one?

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@sathingtonwaltz said:

I'm sorry but... no.

Forza might be better than Drive Club (or it might not be for all we know), but then what else is an exclusive launch title that's supposed to be awesome? Killer Instinct? HAH!

Killzone might be just another FPS, but at least it's a generally good one with great multiplayer.

Knack's hit or miss, might be the next Crash Bandicoot, might be completely worthless.

Also, PS+ gives us access to DriveClub, Don't Starve, Outlast, and Secret Ponchos on day one.

But both launches are going to be great due to third party stuff like Watch Dogs, AC IV, BF4, CoD, All of the sports stuff... there's a ton of stuff to pick up on day one.

I'd put money on Forza being better than Driveclub, since the Forza guys have been doing this for years and MS knows it's an important franchise. Driveclub comes across as something Sony thought they quickly needed for launch since the GT guys take forever. Personally, I'm not that interested in either game since Burnout is the only driving game I like.

Killzone has always been sub-par at best and I don't think this will change things. BF4 will destroy it and as someone who plans to get both systems I don't want to spend money on XBL and now PSN, so I'll probably just do singleplayer on PS4 for awhile. DR3 looks like the best exclusive launch title for either system right now. BF4, DR3, and Watch Dogs are the only ones I would buy even if I had both systems in front of me. If Infamous was a launch title then it would be a different story.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Drive Club is being developed by Evolution, the dudes that did the Motorstorm series. If you look at footage of the original Motorstorm at the E3 before PS3's launch and the final product, it's like night and day graphically and performance wise. Evolution has said the E3 showing was only a 35% done product, so I'd expect once they have final system specs in place, Drive Club is going to get a lot better looking. Whether it will match or exceed Forza, I can't say, but seeing that Motorstorm:PR sits as probably my favorite arcade racer of all time, I have faith they will release a top class product, launch day or not.

Krakn3Dfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Pretty sure Warframe, Planetside 2, and Retribution have all been confirmed as launch titles.

I've played both Warframe and PS2 on the PC, and man, for those who haven't, you are in for a treat.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By phantomzxro

Well sort of, first i feel you are selling killzone short they are fine shooters just never made it to that gears fandom and the story was never all that interesting for me. This one is looking promising and trying to be different than the past killzones. I agree it would surpass cod or BF4 but that does not make it any less good. Also we still need to see more of DR3. It looks nice but without the goofy charm will it deliver on story or anything else besides the combat which i would think will be locked down and fun.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

I'd put money on Forza being better than Driveclub, since the Forza guys have been doing this for years and MS knows it's an important franchise. Driveclub comes across as something Sony thought they quickly needed for launch since the GT guys take forever.

Did you even listen to this guys spiel during the PlayStation meeting?

Loading Video...

TEN YEARS! If nothing else Evolution has passion. While I agree that Sony probably told Evolution to make a racing game for the launch of their new console, I'm pretty sure Microsoft told Turn 10 the same thing. Everybody wants a racing game for their new console. Dan Greenawalt looked kinda dead in the eyes (maybe he was tired?) and seemed like he was saying something that he memorized in his mind rather than his heart during his presentation.

Loading Video...

Can you imagine what the DriveClub guy (what is his name?) would have done if he had a McLaren on stage with him? Also Evolution has been making racing games for a lot more years than Turn 10.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killzone has always been sub-par at best and I don't think this will change things.

No Caption Provided

I'm guessing you've never played Killzone.

djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By djou

@nintendork666: No Transistor is next year. Probably Q1, I wouldn't be surprised if it came out just before Pax.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Actually, Outlast, Secret Poncho's and Don't Starve will be available free for PS+ on the months following when they release. It's going to be one free PS4 game every month. Forgot where I read this but I read it. Also in a Polygon interview with the Secret Poncho's guy, he said it'll be free for PS+ when it comes out.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman: Actually, Outlast, Secret Poncho's and Don't Starve will be available free for PS+ on the months following when they release. It's going to be one free PS4 game every month. Forgot where I read this but I read it. Also in a Polygon interview with the Secret Poncho's guy, he said it'll be free for PS+ when it comes out.

They said it during the E3 press conference.

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Vrikk

@turboman said:

@deathstriker said:

Killzone has always been sub-par at best and I don't think this will change things.

No Caption Provided

He was probably talking from personal experience. I've never liked the series, but honestly I've only played the second one. The campaign was good, but short. Multiplayer has never been a selling point for me except in the NHL series.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

If you mean 1st party developers Microsoft has 9 - Turn 10, 343, Rare, Lionhead, Black Tusk, Big Park, Good Science, Press Play and Twisted Pixel. Good Science and Big Park exclusively develop Kinect games while Press Play and Twisted Pixel develop XBLA games. There are several other studios listed on Microsoft's Wikipedia page but none of them have actually released or announced a game, have their own page, or are mentioned on Microsoft's official site so I'll believe they exist when there is some sort of proof.

Sony meanwhile has 11 - Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, San Diego, Evolution, Japan, Polyphony Digital, Sucker Punch, Bend, Guerrilla, Media Molecule, and London. Bend exclusively makes Vita games.

For comparison Nintendo has 9 - EAD, SPD, 1-Up, Creatures, HAL, Intelligent Systems, Monolith, Nd Cube, and Retro.

The difference between many of these studios is their size. Sony Japan for example consists of at least 5 or 6 teams and works on a half dozen or more games at any one time. The same is true for Nintendo EAD. Other studios like Sucker Punch or Turn 10 work on a single game at a time. At Microsoft none of those studios work on more than two games at once. At Sony most of the studios work on at least two games at once with some working on many more. At Nintendo I believe the only studios with only one team are Retro and Monolith. EAD works on a dozen or more games at any one time. So Studio count is not really indicative of overall game output.

Avatar image for deactivated-6281db536cb1d
    deactivated-6281db536cb1d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based on what we know already, here are very likely/confirmed list of PS4 Launch Titles:

Bolded items are exclusive to PS4 at the time of launch.

• Drive Club
    • Just Dance 2014
    • Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    • Watch_Dogs
    • NBA 2k14
    • Wolfenstein: The new order (Launch window holiday season.)
    • Oddworld: New and Tasty
    • Battlefield 4
    • Madden NFL 25 (launch window for next gen this holiday season.)
    • Knack (slated for holiday season, no definite answer yet.)
    • NBA Live 14
    • Need For Speed: Rivals
    • Planetside 2 (launch window 2013 holiday season, likely launching networkside with the console.)
    • Killzone: Shadow Fall
    • DC Universe Online (Day one on PS network.)
    • Skylanders: Swap Force (Holiday season, closer to end of November. Literally the most important PS4 game. )
    • Lego Marvel: Super Heroes (closer to end of November.)
    • Walking Dead: Season 2 (rumored but unlikely.)

All of the non-exclusive games should be coming to the XBONE at roughly the same time. In addition to them, the XBONEs exclusives slated for the launch window are:

• Dead Rising 3 (likely to be bumped to Feb release.)
    • Forza Motorsport 5
    • Ryse: Son of Rome.

Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Mooshu

@mooshu said:

Its not coming to PS4................atleast not for a long while.

No, but it is coming to the PC day and date with the Xbox One version. Therefore it is not exclusive.

And don't tell me that it doesn't matter. It means I don't have to buy an Xbone for that game which equates to a lost console sale.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

Sony meanwhile has 11 - Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, San Diego, Evolution, Japan, Polyphony Digital, Sucker Punch, Bend, Guerrilla, Media Molecule, and London. Bend exclusively makes Vita games.

You forgot Guerrilla Cambridge; I'm pretty sure it counts as its own studio.

I really hope Bend is making something for PS4 (not Syphon Filter). I would love for them to get their own new IP after proving themselves masters of all things portable like Ready at Dawn.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

• Knack (slated for holiday season, no definite answer yet.)

From Cerny when he was on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon:

"Knack is out with the hardware."

• Dead Rising 3 (likely to be bumped to Feb release.)

Do you have a source on that or is that just your own speculation? It would be a pretty big deal if they don't have Dead Rising for the launch. It is what most people are looking forward to. And it has a "Day One edition" announced.

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven10 said:

I really hope Bend is making something for PS4 (not Syphon Filter). I would love for them to get their own new IP after proving themselves masters of all things portable like Ready at Dawn.

I didn't forget. They are now considered a subsidiary of Guerrilla and no longer count as a separate studio. I debated including them but I felt like at that point I would have to include the dozen different sub-studios at Ninteno EAD or Sony Japan. If you want to include them then the total number would be 12. You could break things a lot of ways. I tried to do it the best I could. Wikipedia claims Microsoft has more than 20 studios but it includes support and tech studios among those. Likewise Sony has things like the ICE Studio and Nintendo has various teams dedicated to tech and support.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Seppli

All I know, Battlefield 4 and Need for Speed Rivals will be there, and they will in all likelihood look and run spectacularly. That accounts for a couple of months, if not years of my gaming life right there.

Also - the launch window might be the perfect opportunity to try and get into Planetside 2 in earnest. On top of that Drive Club is free for PS+ members. And that's like everyone really.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well sort of, first i feel you are selling killzone short they are fine shooters just never made it to that gears fandom and the story was never all that interesting for me. This one is looking promising and trying to be different than the past killzones. I agree it would surpass cod or BF4 but that does not make it any less good. Also we still need to see more of DR3. It looks nice but without the goofy charm will it deliver on story or anything else besides the combat which i would think will be locked down and fun.

Killzone has never done anything for me, I think it's decent at best. I'd much rather have Darkness 3 at launch or some other beyond sub-par shooter. DR3 with those graphics, open world, zombie count, and supposed online co-op already makes it worth checking out for me. BF4 will already be filling my FPS need, so I see no reason to play Killzone and that lame E3 trailer made it look boring as hell; it did demo fairly well back in February though.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@deathstriker said:

No Caption Provided

What does that have anything to do with what I said? Review scores are just opinions... this is a subjective matter and review scores aren't fact. Man of Steel reviewed worse than Superman Returns, Amazing Spiderman, and Transformers, so going by your logic it MUST be a worse movie than them, SMH.

Benny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@deathstriker said:

What does that have anything to do with what I said? Review scores are just opinions... this is a subjective matter and review scores aren't fact. Man of Steel reviewed worse than Superman Returns, Amazing Spiderman, and Transformers, so going by your logic it MUST be a worse movie than them, SMH.

I think Deathstriker's right about Killzone in the past in that if you consider BF3 and COD4/ MW2 'par' for the console FPS genre I think most would agree that Killzone isn't quite as good.

If you look at Killzone Shadowfall however the game only seems graphically superior to COD:Ghosts. In terms of gameplay though I don't see much differentiation between the other offerings and I can hardly see it having better multiplayer than BF4.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By turboman

@deathstriker: No, my logic says that the general consensus was very positive about Killzone's two main console releases (Killzone 1 was trash). The definition of sub-par isn't "mostly every was very pleased with it".

@benny said:

I think Deathstriker's right about Killzone in the past in that if you consider BF3 and COD4/ MW2 'par' for the console FPS genre I think most would agree that Killzone isn't quite as good.

I guess I enjoy the world Killzone brings and the pacing of the movement compared to your modern military shooter. I'll probably buy either BF4 or Killzone on launch, but I don't think the existence of Battlefield should cancel out the existence of Killzone. Killzone is a good franchise with typically ok single-player and a great multiplayer, which is the exact same way I feel about Battlefield.

kaos_cracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By DarthOrange

@raven10 said:

@darthorange said:

@raven10 said:

I didn't forget. They are now considered a subsidiary of Guerrilla and no longer count as a separate studio. I debated including them but I felt like at that point I would have to include the dozen different sub-studios at Ninteno EAD or Sony Japan. If you want to include them then the total number would be 12. You could break things a lot of ways. I tried to do it the best I could. Wikipedia claims Microsoft has more than 20 studios but it includes support and tech studios among those. Likewise Sony has things like the ICE Studio and Nintendo has various teams dedicated to tech and support.

You're right, my bad. Do you have any idea why they ended up putting Cambridge under Guerrilla? They are all under Sony at the end of the day so why was this even done?

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange: The official line was that the studio was going to be supporting Guerrilla exclusively going forward so they decided to simply make the studio part of Guerrilla. I think in the end it comes down to brand management. Guerrilla is associated with a certain level of quality and is a known entity. If you call it Guerrilla then people will associate it with Guerrilla even though the companies share nothing but a name. It's the reason Take Two calls a dozen different studios Rockstar. The name Rockstar has come to mean something. EA is king of doing this. Visceral is just a bunch of EA studios previously named after the cities they were located in. EA thought that associating all of their action game lineup with a single brand would improve customer loyalty. They did the same thing with Bioware and RPG's and they tried to do it with Danger Close and Medal of Honor. The games didn't do well so now what is the studio that was initially born from Westwood and called EA LA known as? DICE LA. Why? Because DICE, like Bioware or Rockstar or Guerrilla has a level of quality associated with it. Brand management. People make millions coming up with these things.

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@turboman said:

@deathstriker: No, my logic says that the general consensus was very positive about Killzone's two main console releases (Killzone 1 was trash). The definition of sub-par isn't "mostly every was very pleased with it".

Sub-par, crappy, just okay, meh, etc are all personal/subjective decisions... the general public/critics liking it doesn't change their meaning. I'd choose BF, Halo, Half-Life, Darkness, COD, Rainbow Six, Far Cry, Crysis, and many other shooter franchises over another Killzone, which is why the PS4 exclusive launch titles are weak to me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.