Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

PS4 voice commands can be used without PS Eye?

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I was not aware of this.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/394042908145229824

@Jefferson_Keane

Voice commands are avilable without PS eye ? I mean with the mic and the DS4 ?

Shuhei Yoshida ‏@yosp

yes

So then, it looks like the idea of being able to issue voice commands to your console right out of the box will not be a Microsoft exclusive.

Verendus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Verendus

And Sony doesn't 100 bucks extra with weaker console specs for it.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 OFF!

I don't think they have any voice commands for the XMB like Kinect/Dashboard but for in game stuff then sure i could see that.

Kidavenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 90

User Lists: 33

You'd have to turn the controller on, i.e. have the controller in your hands already, in which case, why would you ever use voice commands over the actual controller.

Yadilie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@kidavenger: And that's exactly what the Kinect 1.0 turned into. But you could order pizza on it.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

You'd have to turn the controller on, i.e. have the controller in your hands already, in which case, why would you ever use voice commands over the actual controller.

PS3, so probably PS4 too, asks you what microphone you have connected or want to use. [ Settings > Accessories Settings > Audio Device Settings ] On PS3 you can use your headset/tv/bluetooth/etc as the sound, and have the PS Eye/headset/etc act as your microphone because the output you want to use and input you want to use are independent choices. So yeah, you could just attach any old microphone, not just use the controller as the mic.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

While I agree with you for the most part, and while I think talking to your video game does seem a little stupid, there are some examples of voice commands that can actually be useful. One of the best examples for the original kinect is probably Skyrim, and being able to use any dragon shout without selecting it from a menu.

The good news is if a developer finds a good use for voice commands in an Xbox One game, PS4 users won't be left in the dark if the game also comes to their system.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Will you talk dirty to your controller?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.