Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

The PlayStation 4 Exists

Aegon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Why does the presentation have a picture of a brain for memory? That's not even the right type of memory!

Well a part of the brain is the right type of memory. It's called working memory.

Lava

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

It was a really great show. They did a fantastic job showing off what the system will be capable of. We actually saw UI stuff which I found really interesting and a good step from the XMB that I love so much. I really wanted to see what the hardware would look like, but I can understand them wanting to save that until E3. It'll be an interesting four or so months leading up to that, I hope they slowly start to give us more information before then.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I thought that was a very good press conference. I would've like some more games, but overall, I think their vision is very interesting.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@draxyle said:

A much better show than anyone could have expected. I have blind optimism right now. New damned hardware! Finally!

SE not giving me much hope for them though. They announced an announcement and showed a trailer we had all already seen. Definitely the one weak link of the conference.

Exactly, what I want from a FF game isn't great looking graphics, I want huge scope instead.

npa189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A little shocked by the lack of the box itself, but hey I figure they don't have one yet because dev kits have been in weird PC cases. I'm glad Sony got rid of all the crazy people in SCEI and it really seems like they listened, and know what the hell they are talking about. Lack of Kaz does make me sad, and Andrew house should be banned from these/set on fire.

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@weezel42 said:

Microsoft is gonna tear sony up, again

Nope. Microsoft are now screwed because everything they announce will likely be similar to the PS4 inviting a much more tame response.

Unless Microsoft innovate in some way, but it'll have to top the streaming/sharing stuff and instant on/off Sony have already unveiled.

I'm guessing GTA V, next Call of Duty and Fallout 4 all running on Xbox 3, and some first party games, probably Forza 5, Fable 4 and Halo 5

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By moonwalksa

This is probably the best major reveal/announcement event that Sony has ever done. They have a history of embarrassing themselves in these sorts of things, and while I wanted to see the guys on the couch riff on them, I was pleasantly surprised by what was shown.

Despite having disliked Sony since they entered the console market, I am now tentatively excited for the PS4. It'll be very interesting to see what Microsoft thinks they can do to top that show and to find out how both systems get priced.

bushlemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the GB commentary going to be archived?

beepmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah the PS4 sounds pretty nice, but the real highlight of the conference was this:

Jeans. Blazers.
    Jeans. Blazers.
    djou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sony, I don't know if you will read this article or comment, but you will have a pile of my money when you release all this stuff. I'm hyped!!

Seraphim84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I think they gave just enough away now to get in the news and keep people talking until E3 where they can divulge the rest (price, box, hopefully a couple of exclusives, etc.). I'm glad to see Sony do some smart business, especially given their complete lack of giving a hoot in any marketing for the past...ever.

DCam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can I write apps for it?

axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@weezel42 said:

Nope. Microsoft are now screwed because everything they announce will likely be similar to the PS4 inviting a much more tame response.

Unless Microsoft innovate in some way, but it'll have to top the streaming/sharing stuff and instant on/off Sony have already unveiled.

Awesome. That means we get to buy a "streamable" version of a game we possibly already own. Why is that a good feature MS needs to top? I mean who does Sony think they are making us repurchase games over and over again? Nintendo?

LucidDreams117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another point to people asking why we didn't see the actual console, as Shuhei Yoshida jokes: why do you care? This isn't a new phone that you use and see all the time. We saw the controller for those reasons. The console, much like a PC tower, it just sits there. It's what it does that matters. Sure it matters to what it looks like to some people as they like to display them but not enough to bitch about why we didn't see it tonight, at least 8 months from launch.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@weezel42 said:

I'm guessing GTA V, next Call of Duty and Fallout 4 all running on Xbox 3, and some first party games, probably Forza 5, Fable 4 and Halo 5

- Why would they show off GTA V for their new platform?

- Call of Duty isn't much of a surprise for any platform but yes I would expect them to possibly debut it.

- I doubt Fallout 4 will be shown at any capacity.

- Forza could be interesting.

- The Fable series has taken a nose dive.

- More Halo is the equivalent to the guy's disdain for a new Killzone in the sense of "Who cares?"

I'm not trying to say your wrong that's just my take. I expect Microsoft will lean into the new Kinect hardware and, hopefully, some advancements in the online space equivalent to the streaming and instant on tech Sony has shown. Being much closer to E3 than this I also wouldn't be surprised if they show an actual box, unlike Sony.

axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By axlvandamme

Ugh. I was really hoping they would fix the controller. i.e. Put the sticks in the correct spots. And fix the bumpers. And make it a little bigger.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty said:

@weezel42 said:

Awesome. That means we get to buy a "streamable" version of a game we possibly already own. Why is that a good feature MS needs to top? I mean who does Sony think they are making us repurchase games over and over again? Nintendo?

I think he was referring to the aspect of sharing and showing your game when discussing the streaming and sharing aspect, not backwards compatibility.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

Overall, I thought the Sony presentation was very ambitious on their behalf. Instead of just mentioning the PS4 in passing, which many people thought would happen, they actually talked mostly about the next-gen console and showed some interesting demos. My favorite was Watch Dogs, which might have convinced me to buy a PS4 just to play, if its an exclusive title. Overall, Sony accomplished its task. They made me excited about their E3 showing, which should show us the finished product ready for the holiday season. And this is coming from someone who didn't buy a PS3 during the decade long current generation of consoles. Microsoft will have to follow up soon. It would be a mistake for them to wait until E3.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I'm concerned. I'm not a gamer who wants or needs social integration in her games. I like going to GameStop for my disc, going home and playing an epic story by my God damned self! It really felt like Sony was going out of their way to say the system wasn't for me.

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By graf1k

@branthog said:

@johnnybombazini said:

impressed. microsoft ain't got shit !!

Or they might.

After two weeks of everyone (including me) doubting Sony and expecting the absolute least from this meeting, they came prepared with great presentations, enthusiastic presenters, a huge library of stuff to show, and great details about the hardware and features of the console. For two damn hours!

To be fair, after 45 minutes they had shown exactly one game (Knack). They spent a lot of time on bullshit talk and marketing speak. In fact, at one point I texted my friend "I'm just surprised no one has said 'Synergy' yet" and lo and behold like 10 minutes later it's a bunch of bullshit about synergy.

While Sony definitely had a good showing, nothing they showed really connected with me. Knack did nothing for me and honestly didn't "look" great either. The tech demo or whatever it was from Media Molecule was interesting until it turned into claymation Rock Band, but an admirable use of the Motion finally at the very least. I have zero interest in the Killzone franchise and would have rather just seen those guys start fresh with a new IP (their tech does look pretty amazing though). Drive Club could be interesting but honestly between Forza and Gran Turismo, my racing sim needs are already pretty well covered. Sony is beginning to come off as creatively bankrupt as Microsoft. Well, maybe not quite that bad...

Really the two things shown that had me excited were Watch Dogs which we've seen before but it was nice to see something new on it, and Deep Down which looked amazing graphically. Better than Killzone and so good to where I still kind of wonder if that wasn't just a target video or render or something. Both of those will undoubtedly be multiplatform so even though they looked good, it's really not swaying me one way or another on which system to get, but is getting me excited for the next gen finally. I want Sony to give me a reason to want to buy a PS4 and so far they really haven't yet.

Tech side, if you have a Vita that streaming stuff sounds nice and the ability to watch what your friends are playing live is pretty sweet, but it's all window dressing. Also, I wonder if your friend has to be 'streaming' what he's playing for that to work. The hibernate thing is kind of interesting but honestly turning my system on and booting a game has never been an issue. Constant system and game updates that take forever are the issue.

Also where was The Last Guardian? Does that game even exist anymore?

Slither_Maggot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 16

#121  Edited By Slither_Maggot

I was unimpressed. I honestly thought a lot of what they showed could graphically be done with the PS3. But, I will wait to see more in the months to come.

Actually have to agree with you there.

Faltru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#122  Edited By Faltru

Looked good to me. Can't wait to get my hands on it!

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Traditionally, I'm a Nintendo hardware first kinda guy, but the Wii U has just been totally fucking underwhelming so far. This conference was the first time the new generation has genuinely excited me with possibilities beyond "ah, yeah, better graphics seem cool," and with my complete distaste of how Microsoft has conducted their business I have a feeling the PS4 is where my dollars are heading in the near future. Generic-looking Killzone and all.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#124  Edited By skrutop

Though it would hurt the Dualshock brand a bit, it's about time that Sony swapped out the position of the d-pad and left analog stick. I swap between the 360 and PS3 controllers, and it's just better to have the analog stick in the top left position. Also, who gives a flying fuck about Sixaxis controls? I can't remember the last game that used them.

I would expect the PS Eye to be a separate item from the new system. The Eye is a peripheral that would appeal to a certain subset of users, but not everyone. To me, it would make more sense for the Eye to be an upcharge in order to keep the price of the console down for the majority who are looking for sub-$400 to $450 price tag at launch.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I'm so fucking ready.

arcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought they made the right choice with PS4, its simple, self explanatory, and it helps them avoid the whole Wii/Wii U naming nightmare. I also don't see why some people are bitching about the social and streaming features, they're somewhat interesting and are actually meaningful to the games that you're playing. At least it isn't some asshole giving a 15 minute presentation about how to use Facebook on a browser in my video game console..

graf1k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By graf1k

@skrutop said:

Though it would hurt the Dualshock brand a bit, it's about time that Sony swapped out the position of the d-pad and left analog stick. I swap between the 360 and PS3 controllers, and it's just better to have the analog stick in the top left position.

I completely agree. I was really disappointed to see they left the left stick where it was, but I kind of understand it. For whatever reason, a LOT of people love the DualShock layout and Sony would piss off quite a few people by moving it.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm probably going to buy this. What can I say my name is blue. BUT what the heck are they thinking not having backwards compatiblilty! All I want to do is play PS2 games!

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Giant Bomb crew during the stream said that Capcom had confirmed that Deep Down was set in the Dragon's Dogma world; does anyone have a link to them saying that? Thanks!

fargofallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went into this pretty skeptical, but I must admit, they almost have me sold on one, pending a little more information*. If they stick to what they showed here and don't throw any sliders, and Microsoft comes out swinging with Kinect, then I would almost definitely choose PS4 over the next Xbox.

*Pending information being whether everything is available digitally, whether they understand the concept of sales and how goods lose their value over time, and whether it's possible to swap in an SSD for the HDD. Those are concerns that I suspect neither of the two will get entirely right, though.

On a related note, am I crazy for thinking that this makes the WiiU look almost silly? I don't know what the price on this will be, but the WiiU definitely won't be running the same games as this thing (not that there was any question of that prior to the unveiling). Nintendo needs to get their first party games going soon (preferably yesterday) in order for anyone to give a shit that it exists.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

Same tiny ass controller. They have already ripped off enough things from MS so might as well do the controller.

RudeCubes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By RudeCubes
    pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By pandashake

Good conference. They showed more than what I was expecting. Besides a price and a look at the machine, this was almost like a big e3 conference.

@devil240z: Then all you need is a ps2. Still cheap and available especially a used one.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watchdog was running on a pc instead of a PS4, seems weird to me...

http://www.gamepur.com/news/10450-new-watch-dogs-demo-was-running-pc-and-not-ps4-ubisoft.html

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

No Caption Provided

pandashake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bushlemon: It's archived on twitch like most things that gets streamed through it.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

@truthtellah said:

The Giant Bomb crew during the stream said that Capcom had confirmed that Deep Down was set in the Dragon's Dogma world; does anyone have a link to them saying that? Thanks!

Brad said it was on the capcom facebook page.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theht said:
    No Caption Provided

That is one awkward photo, and you just know that they were coached to pose like that.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really like the new controller, on theory. Find it hard to believe Microsoft could top this. They had me at "customisation of the UI".

CouldbeRolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Impressive conference. Alot more shown than I would expect so far ahead of release.

Glad they didn't change the basic layout of the controller. I'm using a 360 controller on my pc, and the ps3 controller is, to me, so much more comfortable in every aspect (except the L2/R2 vs trigger buttons situation) for long game sessions.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Same tiny ass controller. They have already ripped off enough things from MS so might as well do the controller.

What?

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very pumped for the PS4. I buy every console, but this is the most excited I've been for a launch since the Wii, and while that ended up not going so great for me, the PS4 looks awesome.

I was bummed to tune into Giant Bomb's stream though. I was watching IGN and it started going flaky around the car game dude. I tuned into Giant Bomb, and the snark was out in full force. When the Infamous guy came out I couldn't take it anymore and went back to IGN. I NEVER go to IGN. Giant Bomb is my main gaming website. You guys are just too cynical now. Nothing impresses you. You make people feel bad for being excited about a console launch.

You trolled and made fun of every speaker that came on the stage (admittedly while I was watching anyways). I felt embarrassed for you. As if Brad's shit doesn't stick too. It made me honestly wonder for the first time, why are you guys covering games anymore, if the launch of a powerful new system, with lots of new ideas, doesn't turn you on anymore? It's the PS freaking 4, and you guys sounded bored, too cool for it all, and above getting excited about the sauce that makes games better.

I heard you guys saying, well, it looks better, but that's not enough, blah blah blah. REALLY?! A nice jump in graphics has ALWAYS been good enough for me. Did you not see the sand demo? The demo of the old guy's face? WTF, that doesn't excite you? I pity you. And again, I love Giant Bomb. I'm a premium member. I buy every console that comes out. I love games. I'm 36 years old. I am not a fanboy of any one system. I just love games, so to listen to your DEPRESSING, live stream, just sucked.

Take a sabbatical, come back in 6 months. If you aren't excited about a new console, hang it up...

Aarny91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I missed the show, but I'm caught up on the console at least. Looking really good.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'm excited, but it's tempered excitement. This gen all I had was a 360, with limited access to my friends PS3 for some exclusives. I'm gonna wait until E3, and whatever Microsoft has hidden secret becomes public knowledge. At this point I feel like I'll lean towards Sony for the next gen, just to keep it level lol.

Residentrevil2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like all the info on the PS4 was leaked early again. Still, the PS4 stuff looked good. Now, I want to see what the new Xbox brings.

ICantBeStopped

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for redcricketchase
    RedCricketChase

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish Alex wasn't so snarky and awkward. I love him to death, but he gives in to his faux-anarchic side way too often and just sounds like he's reaching for shock value. More than a little drunk at this point, tho. Merp.

He sounds a lot like my ex boyfriend.

drakesfortune

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I too think Microsoft is going to have a tough time topping this. The network stuff on PS4 is really impressive. I really hope 720 isn't Kinnect centric, and I hope they go toe to toe with Sony on system performance. I would LOVE it if they came out with even higher specs, but I just doubt it. I was actually very surprised that PS4 will have 8 gigs of RAM. I didn't think they'd push it that high. I'm really hoping that all games are 1080P now.

DevourerOfTime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

I have zero reason to be disappointed by the conference, due to the amount of content being shown far exceeding expectations, but I wasn't impressed by anything either. All of the games shown ranged from only slightly promising (Dragon's Dogm- err... Deep Down and Knack) to boring (Witness, Destiny) to laughable (Killzone, Infamous, and Diablo 3).

The hardware promises impressed me, but I'll wait until launch day to believe the hype.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drakesfortune: they were excited, some of those presenters were amusingly overacting, and isn't the phrase "shit don't stink"?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.