Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation 4

Platform »

PlayStation 4 is Sony's fourth home video game console, released on November 15, 2013 in North America, and November 29, 2013 in Europe. On November 10 2016, Sony released the Playstation 4 Pro, an updated version of the console targeting 4K gaming.

What's the deal with the Blu-ray/DVD remote?

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AngeTheDude
    No Caption Provided

I remember buying my PS3 and also grabbing a remote for it while I was at the store because I knew I would be using it for Blu-rays. Why isn't there one for PS4? I currently have the PS3 and 4 in my living room and I want to move the PS3 into my room, but I know my mom or other relatives will have a tough time controlling a movie with the DualShock on the PS4.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'm sure it will come. Worst thing about the dual shock controls is that putting it down often makes the triggers move which skips chapters on the blu-ray.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

If you have one of those dumb Sony Smart TVs you can use the remote for that to control your PS3 and I would assume your PS4. That's a solution, right?

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

@alexw00d said:

If you have one of those dumb Sony Smart TVs you can use the remote for that to control your PS3 and I would assume your PS4. That's a solution, right?

That's probably not the case. I have the PS3 bluetooth remote and that doesn't work on the PS4 for some dumb reason.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AlexW00d

@alexw00d said:

That's probably not the case. I have the PS3 bluetooth remote and that doesn't work on the PS4 for some dumb reason.

I meant the solution was buying an expensive Sony smart TV :D

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'm sure it will come. Worst thing about the dual shock controls is that putting it down often makes the triggers move which skips chapters on the blu-ray.

This has been my nightmare for nearly a fucking decade with the PS3.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@fattony12000: There is a thing called "being gentle" that you can do when putting things down that will prevent triggers from being pressed in.

matt_f606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mooseymcman said:

@fattony12000: There is a thing called "being gentle" that you can do when putting things down that will prevent triggers from being pressed in.

To be fair it dose not take much to set the DS4 triggers off.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

Oh man, I have a Panasonic and that kind of a feature would be a godsend.

whur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

You don't need a dedicated controller anymore with hdmi-cec and you don't need the Sony tv to do it either. Although I haven't gotten the universal TWC remote to work, the one that comes with the tv does.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

You know, I don't think a dedicated remote is necessary, but I'll admit I hate using the Dualshock. The reason is, the battery ain't so great, so I obviously have it on power saving mode where it turns off after 10 minutes, but then that also means I have to turn it back on almost every time I need to pause or whatever. At the very least you don't have to log into your account every single time, they patched that out.

Avatar image for deactivated-62f93c42ce57b
    deactivated-62f93c42ce57b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

you dont have to have a sony smart tv. any device with Anynet+ can be controlled with a single remote. example: my ps3 can be controlled with my samsung tv remote.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I assumed that any random "smart" remote would work with the PS4 but after a quick search that dont look like the case. Kinda odd considering how open to random devices Sony has been with Playstation. Maybe they didnt want competitors remotes to easily work?

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By fattony12000

@mooseymcman said:

@matt_f606 said:

@mooseymcman said:

To be fair it dose not take much to set the DS4 triggers off.

I am talking about the DS3, mainly.

Even when put down on a flat, glass desk they would sometimes go off. And here's the thing, it's not just the putting the controller down bit; once a controller was safely laid to rest the SLIGHTEST forward movement would then activate the triggers. They made the edges and the lever actuation of those DS3 triggers bad.

The DS4 has seemed less bad to me so far.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

You might still be able to, we have a Panasonic home theatre sound system thingy and the tv can control that too. It's a specific hdmi cec thingy I think. Panasonic's version is Viera link.

AngeTheDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alexw00d said:

@angethedude said:

@alexw00d said:

You might still be able to, we have a Panasonic home theatre sound system thingy and the tv can control that too. It's a specific hdmi cec thingy I think. Panasonic's version is Viera link.

Mine is a Viera! I'll give it a try this weekend.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.