Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Camera for PS4

Accessory »

The PlayStation Camera is the next generation of the PlayStation Eye featuring two cameras and a four-channel array of microphones.

Is the PlayStation Camera worth a purchase?

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By isomeri

I've been messing around with my brand new PS4 for a couple of weeks now and I'm mostly enjoying the general UI experience. However one way in which the PS4 does lag behind the Xbox One in my household at least is the lack of voice and camera inputs. I've grown so used to bossing my Xbox One around with voice that not having those inputs for my TV, PC and other consoles has started to feel really clumsy. The camera side on the Kinect hasn't maybe been as useful as the voice stuff, but signing in through face recognition, having the console automatically assign controllers to player accounts with the camera and things like that have been really handy.

So all this has left me considering a purchase of the PlayStation Camera. However I haven't heard many people talking about the benefits of owning the PS Camera and none of my friends have bought one so I haven't been able to test it out at all myself. I'm really irritated by the controller lights on the DualShock 4 because I have a glossy TV, but I'm hoping that the camera could somehow justify the existence of these lights. Are there any games outside of The Playroom which use the camera? How does the camera compare to the new Kinect? And most importantly, how well do the voice commands work on the PS4? Can I start up, shut down, switch between applications and so on with relative ease?

Hopefully some of you can share your experiences on the PlayStation Camera and I'm especially interested in hearing from people who have been using both the camera and Kinect for the Xbox One. Thanks in advance for your input duders!

EDIT: Dang, tharr be double threads flying about. A helpful mod might delete the other one?

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SomeJerk

The only camera implementations I've seen actually implemented in games outside of that dancing one have been Drive Club taking a picture of you and War Thunder (PS4 version currently poopy) using it for head tracking (mileage varies hard). Voice commands work very well (it does thick Engrish) though there aren't really enough of them, or a deep enough implementation of them to make it comparable to the Xbox One where.. how is editing video without voice commands there nowadays? The camera does a very good job at what it does, they'll be tracking our Project Morpheus VR headset movements at up to 240hz when it arrives, in 3D!

(I'm getting the camera to have a better excuse to set up a stream where I make music, and I'd like to make the most out of future Drive Club-like uses of it. Still willing to say that 90% of sales are due to the PlayRoom and generic craze about the PS4.)

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I got one with my original bundle, but outside of using it once to automatically log me in when it saw my face I've never actually used it. That's a nice enough feature for multiplayer games. It matches the colour bar and the face and autosigns the person in as long as they've set it up.

The voice commands are decent and the camera works as well as you'd expect. It's much smaller than I thought it'd be. I'm sure I'll use it a lot more when the VR headset comes out.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#4  Edited By isomeri

@somejerk said:

Voice commands work very well (it does thick Engrish) though there aren't really enough of them, or a deep enough implementation of them to make it comparable to the Xbox One where.. how is editing video without voice commands there nowadays?

Wait, you can do video editing with voice inputs on the Xbox One? I haven't really used the Upload Studio feature much at all and only with the controller.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.