Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

PSP 3000 screen issue? (NOT interlacing/scanlines)

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ViciousReiven

I noticed this strange light border on the PSP image, I am personally convinced it's a defect, but the GameStop dude says it's due to the backlight. 

Being an owner of a PSP already (1000 model) and having many backlit devices I can personally say I haven't seen anything like this. 

Basically from the absolute edge of the screen to about a half-inch in there's what appears to be an translucent white overlay, making that area of the screen appear visibly (and annoyingly if you have OCD like me) brighter than usual. 
    It's like vignetting but 'harder', if it were just the backlight the light would gradually get darker as you get closer to the center, but instead there's a very obvious line at which one side is brighter and the other is normal.  

Using quick mediocre photoshop skills I'll demonstrate this with an XMB screengrab. 

What the XMB would look like if you used a screencapture plugin on CFW or a video-out cord:      

No Caption Provided
          What I believe it 'should' look like IRL when seeing the screen with you're own eyes thanks to the backlight: 
    No Caption Provided

What my PSP 3000 looks like*.... 

No Caption Provided

*Note it's isn't THAT noticeble on bright screens like that blue screen grab, but it's basically that noticble on dark backgrounds or high contrast colors. 

Is this REALLY a fault of the 3000 model, or is this an actual defect, any comparison shots of your PSP 3000s would be much appreciated, to make I really good comparison set your background color to black or another dark color, the save/load screen in Crisis Core (well actually the whole game, sinc eit's colors and contrast are very nice) is another oppritune comparison shot.
    Kato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Kato

Mine has almost the exact same issue. I bought it used and it has a screen protector so I thought it might simply be an uneven screen protector application. 

Sony's never been quite right with these screens. Years ago when I had a 1000, it came with loads of dead pixels and I did a hand-replacement with an off-brand screen. You'd never see a dead pixel or uneven backlight on a DS or an iPod. Why can't Sony get it right?

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

Silly question but is the PSP 3000 related to Andre 3000 ?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.