Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Portable

Platform »

PlayStation Portable (PSP) is Sony's first entry into the handheld gaming market. The PSP also sports multimedia features including music and video playback, a photo viewer, and an online store. Several model revisions have been released: the PSP-2000, 3000, PSPgo and the PSP-E1000.

UMD on psp go?

s0liddante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By s0liddante

Has there been any word on what one can do with their UMD games if they get a PSP GO?  I mean can u like convert them to the digital downlaods?  I have been thinking abnout it and i have no clue how this can be done with out a lot of people stealing games.

JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JakJ
    @s0liddante said:
    "

Has there been any word on what one can do with their UMD games if they get a PSP GO?  I mean can u like convert them to the digital downlaods?  I have been thinking abnout it and i have no clue how this can be done with out a lot of people stealing games.

"
    No word yet. I'd bet they won't do anything like that, considering how much it would cost for them to implement a fool-proof UMD -> digital download program and how much money Sony as a whole is still losing.
    It seems like if you buy a PSP Go you're gonna be starting fresh.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By EpicSteve

I highly doubt it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

@JakJ said:
    "
    @s0liddante said:
    "

"
    No word yet. I'd bet they won't do anything like that, considering how much it would cost for them to implement a fool-proof UMD -> digital download program and how much money Sony as a whole is still losing. It seems like if you buy a PSP Go you're gonna be starting fresh."
    Yeah thats my best guess, but some program will probably pop up somewhere so you can convert it, but since Sony already messed up on the pirating with the PSP 1000,2000 and 3000, this would be a huge loss, so security will be a must on this new handheld.
    JakJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By JakJ
    @Bucketdeth said:
    Yeah thats my best guess, but some program will probably pop up somewhere so you can convert it, but since Sony already messed up on the pirating with the PSP 1000,2000 and 3000, this would be a huge loss, so security will be a must on this new handheld. "
    No doubt. I'm sure the homebrew community will have it cracked in under a month. Considering PSP piracy is pretty rampant, chances are the games you own are already out on mininova or someplace.
    I don't think theres a problem at all if you download them for your PSP Go if you've already bought the UMD. Sure, it's illegal, but unlike regular piracy I don't think it's immoral.
    Sniipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Sniipe

Do you know if games like Peace Walker and LBP that are supposedly for the Go! will also be released on UMD?  Because if not, I think my brief ride with the Sony handheld is over.

Feanor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By Feanor

Sony does have a nack for completely ditching hardware.  Just look at the PS2 HDD.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Ineedaname
    @Sniipe: During the conference they said they'd carried on supporting the PSP and carry on releasing UMDs so I'd say yes, and with not many people having them if they weren't the sales of them games would not be high.
    ahriman22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ahriman22
    @JakJ said:
    "
    @Bucketdeth said:
    Yeah thats my best guess, but some program will probably pop up somewhere so you can convert it, but since Sony already messed up on the pirating with the PSP 1000,2000 and 3000, this would be a huge loss, so security will be a must on this new handheld. "
    No doubt. I'm sure the homebrew community will have it cracked in under a month. Considering PSP piracy is pretty rampant, chances are the games you own are already out on mininova or someplace.I don't think theres a problem at all if you download them for your PSP Go if you've already bought the UMD. Sure, it's illegal, but unlike regular piracy I don't think it's immoral. "
    I don't know how your time estimate or if it'll even happen. It took quite a long time to get cracked, and even the first mod for it was nowhere near great. If Sony really wants to keep the PSP Go "Unhackable" then they better upgrade the motherboard (Yet again) and provide major hardware and software improvements.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.