Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

Should I buy a Vita or a 3DS?

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By fossas

Which one should I buy??

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MrKlorox

Not 3DS... so I guess that just leaves Vita.

yoshimitz707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By yoshimitz707

I love my 3DS and my Vita! I would go with the 3DS.

crunchmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By crunchmonkey

Which one do you want more? Get that one.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By Justin258

Wait until next year, when the (presumed) second iteration of the 3DS with the (hopefully) second analog stick built in, and when the Vita either has something else out or something else announced. Gravity Rush is about the only interesting thing coming out on it.

GooieGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By GooieGreen

Well this crowd might not be biased... but hey, you might be trollin'.

The Vita is an incredible device. I personally have no interest in Nintendo products anymore, but they certainly have their fans. What kind of games are you looking to play? Do you likes the Mario Twins? Can you has digital PSP game burgers? QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS! Solutions! Dots connected!

Sorry, I've fallen into madness. Thus is the way of the bomb.

Shun_Akiyama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Shun_Akiyama

vita all the way.

falconpunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By falconpunch

definitely the 3ds. not enough good games out on the Vita yet

elyk247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 25

#9  Edited By elyk247

3DS, most def. I would wait on getting the Vita. There are a lot of games, just no games worth paying $250 for a handheld.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I like both of mine as well..... At this moment there's more stuff that could satisfy you on the 3DS.... as for the future I guess it be best to look at the ds and psp lineup and decide which one you preferred.

at the same time Vita is gonna get a DJ PORTABLE MAX Game.... so ya Vita

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Spoonman671

I got a Vita.

You can expect some revisions to the 3DS hardware in the future that might turn it into a system of comparable quality, but at the moment I feel like it's kind of a sloppy first attempt.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By sopranosfan

I chose a Vita because every single time I have bought a Nintendo product first I regret it. Plus the second analog stick allows a lot more games to be made for it.

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kpaadet

@falconpunch said:

definitely the 3ds. not enough good games out on the Vita yet

I would say the same applies for the 3DS. My advice for OP, wait till after E3 for redesign/price drop announcement(s) and to see more upcoming games for both systems.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#14  Edited By LordAndrew
    You like games? Then pick the one with games you like. But since you posted this on the Vita forum, the correct answer is Vita. Have a nice day.
    BrockNRolla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BrockNRolla

I don't like the feel of the vita or the games. Then again, my hands literally hurt after long sessions with my 3DS. I like my 3DS, but it's not a perfect system.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#16  Edited By MooseyMcMan

That Neo Geo thing that was debunked and then re-bunked. Okay, that's not a word...yet.

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By grilledcheez

Neither!

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By BiG_Weasel

Well, consider this. The 3DS is adding a 2nd analog stick as a hideous add-on. I suspect they'll be redesigning it within the next year, so as to do away with the need for the peripheral. The Vita, however, probably won't have any such problems, and any redesign will probably be a "slim" version, as Sony is want to do.

Also, as mentioned above, find the games that most appeal to your tastes. Sony's got the developers lined up, and good titles either out or on the horizon. Nintendo will most undoubtedly be top-shelf first party titles (Mario, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Metroid), a smattering of so-so 3rd party titles, and a steaming pile of shovelware and kid-friendly titles. I'm basing this on the history of the 3DS/Wii and the PS2/PS3/PSP games catalogs.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19  Edited By Tofin

Neither because dedicated handhelds aren't long for this world.

@BiG_Weasel said:

Also, as mentioned above, find the games that most appeal to your tastes. Sony's got the developers lined up, and good titles either out or on the horizon. Nintendo will most undoubtedly be top-shelf first party titles (Mario, Zelda, Kid Icarus, Metroid), a smattering of so-so 3rd party titles, and a steaming pile of shovelware and kid-friendly titles. I'm basing this on the history of the 3DS/Wii and the PS2/PS3/PSP games catalogs.

Although if you must have one, consider this excellent point. Sony is a bit more well-rounded, but Nintendo is doing neat stuff with their first-party IPs. So I guess if you love Nintendo, get a 3DS. If not, get a Vita.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Karl_Boss

Since you posted this on the Vita forum I'll say Vita.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Contrarian

Why are you asking us? We are all idiots. Ask your mum.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By xyzygy

3DS. It tries to be more of a handheld rather than a portable console. You can get the same Vita experience on a home console, on a larger screen, with better controls.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Enigma777

Are you under or over 14 years of age?

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By Hector

As of right now I say 3DS their library has expanded a bit since launch and their are lots of games to choose from. PS Vita...not so much since it just launched. I'd sat wait to see what Vita has to offer later on...

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RE_Player1

Vita even though I do love my 3DS.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By BiG_Weasel

As I mentioned earlier about the thumbstick accessory for the 3DS, consider this- Kid Icarus requires both that add-on, AND a stand. A stand *on a portable gaming system*. Really? Do you want all that extraneous hardware? Me, I'm holding out till later this year for the PS Vita price drop (if it happens) and to see what games come out before I jump in and buy. For the 3DS, there's just no real reason I'd want it. First party stuff is always stellar, but I want more variety.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sopranosfan

@xyzygy said:

3DS. It tries to be more of a handheld rather than a portable console. You can get the same Vita experience on a home console, on a larger screen, with better controls.

I am so tired of this excuse. What great experience is available on the 3DS that isn't available on a console. Mario, Zelda, Resident Evil, or Metal Gear Solid? Nope all available on a home console. If anything I would argue the opposite with some of the downloadable games available on PSN available no where else like Mutant Blob, Escape Plan, and another just released that I can't remember the name of right now.

If money doesn't come into play then it comes down to would you rather have Sony exclusives or Nintendo exclusives. If you prefer Mario, Luigi, and Zelda get a 3DS and if you prefer Uncharted, Resistance, Killzone, God of War, and Ratchet then get a Vita.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait until E3 is the only thing I have to say.

Vita is without a doubt better hardware, though.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By DeF

@GooieGreen said:

Well this crowd might not be bias... but hey, you might be trollin'.

biasED. why do people hate the ~ed at the end of this word so much?

on topic: wait for E3, then look at the game announcements. which interests you more? buy that!

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By bemusedchunk

@DoctorSage said:

Please elaborate on this.

I'm on the fence about purchasing a hand held. My last handheld was a PSP 2000 and it was mostly used for playing in bed before sleepy time. Now I have a Kindle, which helps - but I need an outside light source, which sucks.

I may be inferring your comment as smartphones/tablets will rule this world (to which I have to agree).

Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By unsolvedparadox

I was really disappointed in the 3DS, and barely touch it anymore. While the Vita software lineup isn't very impressive, it looks and feels great.

Check out the Vita, the software it does have looks gorgeous and the apps are pretty good as well.

freewilly5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By freewilly5

Vita has better hardware, but does that matter much on a handheld. Just look at the games and pick the console that best suits you.

The circle pad pro is not required for Kid Icarus, neither is the stand.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Hosstile17

@DanHammett: I like my 3DS a lot. It has some great ports of classics and some decent new software. Although, despite being on the market a year now, it is still lacking in software. The Vita is an impressive piece of game hardware and technology in general. It has a decidedly smaller library of games because it just launched. But, Unit 13, Uncharted, and Wipeout are all pretty solid.

The thing I would keep in mind is that if money is a serious concern, you can get a 3DS and a couple of games for the cost of the Wi-Fi Vita. Bear in mind you will still have to buy a memory stick and a game for that Vita. But, if money is not your primary concern, I would think about the styles of games that you enjoy playing and know what each console manufacturer tends to bring to the table.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By Tofin

@bemusedchunk said:

@DoctorSage said:

Please elaborate on this.

I'm on the fence about purchasing a hand held. My last handheld was a PSP 2000 and it was mostly used for playing in bed before sleepy time. Now I have a Kindle, which helps - but I need an outside light source, which sucks.

I may be inferring your comment as smartphones/tablets will rule this world (to which I have to agree).

Yeah, the smartphones are definitely taking over. Most people have them already and games are extremely affordable. The 3DS is $160 with games at around $40 a pop. The current generation of handhelds isn't cheap enough or enticing enough to casual gamers, which means they can't really compete with tablets/smartphones.

Just wait until either Nintendo or Sony realizes this (or hell, even Microsoft) and comes out with a handheld that does other things besides videogames.

bemusedchunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By bemusedchunk

can anyone compare the eshop to the vita psn?

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By Winternet

3DS. You can play good games there.

Avatar image for gunslingerpanda
    GunslingerPanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By GunslingerPanda

@BiG_Weasel said:

As I mentioned earlier about the thumbstick accessory for the 3DS, consider this- Kid Icarus requires both that add-on, AND a stand. A stand *on a portable gaming system*. Really? Do you want all that extraneous hardware? Me, I'm holding out till later this year for the PS Vita price drop (if it happens) and to see what games come out before I jump in and buy. For the 3DS, there's just no real reason I'd want it. First party stuff is always stellar, but I want more variety.

Welp, that's not true at all. Do some research. Circle Pad Pro isn't even compatible with Kid Icarus unless you're a lefty and want to use it for movement. The stand isn't required, I barely use it.

Anyway, get a 3DS and a PS3. Vita has NOGAEMS

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Morrow

I have a 3DS and don't find it very special.

I plan to get a Vita as soon as it drops the price, so my vote goes to the Vita. Plus it has trophies :]

fossas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fossas
    @Contrarian Because i'm not 4 years old
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#40  Edited By Addfwyn

I'd say Vita, I have both and I get way more use out of my Vita. Could stand to get some of the great RPGs that made the PSP so awesome, but hopefully that will come. It does have Tales of Innocence right now, which is pretty solid if you like the Tales games.

The 3DS...I dunno, I liked the DS, but it just seems like DS + 3D gimmick that I don't care about. Vita has a ton of power, and can do some really cool stuff outside just the games too, everything ties in together really nicely and it just seems like an overall well thought out device.

@DoctorSage: I can't disagree more, I think it may depend on the market a bit, because I'd say portables are by far the MOST successful platform right now. I know nobody with a 360, a handful of people with PS3s, and very few people who DON'T own at least one portable system. I don't think I go a day without seeing a ton of portable game devices (PSPs, Vitas, 3DS, and classic DSs) on the train, in the hands of everybody from high school kids to grandparents. Obviously, I'm gonna see more portables than people lugging their console around with them, but I don't think portable gaming is nearly dead. For those of us with long commutes, they really are a blessing. iOS-type games are a good 'I am in line for five minutes and want something to do with my hands' type games, but don't [often] have the staying power of more solid portable consoles.

Contrarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Contrarian

@DanHammett said:

@Contrarian Because i'm not 4 years old

Well clearly, unless you are a seriously smart 4 year old. If you want random views on what you should do, then I say get a 3DS, as you will get a somewhat unique experience with games properly designed as handheld games, as opposed to mostly ports that you can just do on your PS3. You also can't get Nintendo games on a Vita (well d'uh) and that is why you buy a Nintendo system.

Me, I have a 3DS and I will eventually get a Vita, but I will wait for a good price reduction (inevitable sooner than later) and a good selection of JRPG that will actually make the Vita worth playing. Of course, that is an entirely personal and subjective view.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#42  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I have both and have used them for a combined two hours maybe? So neither.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.