Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

PlayStation Vita

Platform »

PlayStation Vita is Sony's second handheld gaming device.

The future of Graphics.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By xpgamer7

The NGP is supposed to have PS3 quality graphics. After the PSP was supposed to have PS2 quality graphics I'm skeptical it'll be that good. 

But this does mean that Sony is probably working on a PS4 with super hi-res graphics. Otherwise the NGP will push the PS3 out of the market. 
    How high do you think the graphic quality will be?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By MooseyMcMan

IT'LL LOOK REALER THAN REAL LIFE!

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By KaosAngel

Next Gen for consoles  is going to be Crysis level on PC.   

PC gamers will smirk as the true next-generation graphics come on PC a few months later.

xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By MooseyMcMan
    @KaosAngel said:
    " Next Gen for consoles  is going to be Crysis level on PC.    PC gamers will smirk as the true next-generation graphics come on PC a few months later. "
    I'm going to be really disappointed if the leap is only up to Crysis. They can do better than that. 
    moelarrycurly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By moelarrycurly
    @MooseyMcMan said:
    " @KaosAngel said:
    " Next Gen for consoles  is going to be Crysis level on PC.    PC gamers will smirk as the true next-generation graphics come on PC a few months later. "
    I'm going to be really disappointed if the leap is only up to Crysis. They can do better than that.  "
    It's still astounding that Crysis came out in 2007.
    xpgamer7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xpgamer7

Crysis 4 - HHD on PS4 and PC.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#8  Edited By Icemael
    @MooseyMcMan said:

" @KaosAngel said:

I'm going to be really disappointed if the leap is only up to Crysis. They can do better than that.  "
    Same here. They should do much better than that.
    Avatar image for theworldbreaker
    Theworldbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Theworldbreaker

Eather by the PS4 or PS5 we will have graphics that are identical to real life and after that, their will be no improovments because you cant get better then Real life level Graphics i mean how can you? how is it possible?
    ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ryanwho
    @theworldbreaker said:
    " Eather by the PS4 or PS5 we will have graphics that are identical to real life and after that, their will be no improovments because you cant get better then Real life level Graphics i mean how can you? how is it possible? "
    lol
    mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By mattbosten

There's no way that the NGP is going to push the PS3 out of the market as there's a massive difference between a 720p-1080p on a 32"+ screen when compared to a lesser resolution on a 5" screen. As for the PS4's 'step up' in graphical quality. It will improve but I think the improvements are going to be far subtler than in previous new generations i.e. PS1 to PS2, PS2 to PS3

danimal_furry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By danimal_furry
    @theworldbreaker said:
    "Eather by the PS4 or PS5 we will have graphics that are identical to real life and after that, their will be no improovments because you cant get better then Real life level Graphics i mean how can you? how is it possible? "

Hahaha! They said that about the PS2. In actuality, I think photorealism is way off. But, they will integrate photo technology into the next wave so that pictures will be animated.... which sounds kind of crappy, now that I think about it. But they have been talking about it for 5 or 6 years.
    VirtuaXav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VirtuaXav

I think the NGP is going to be hardly comparable to the graphics of the PS3. Either way, I think it's awesome that they're trying to get the most out of their portable and I'm really interested to see how good it actually does look for myself.

I really hope the PS4 (and other next gen consoles) can push their graphics to be more comparable to PCs for a longer amount of time. But the fact is that PCs will always have better graphics then consoles, unless Sony and Microsoft somehow make their consoles upgradeable, which seems unlikely.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By Brendan

Graphical fidelity isn't the obstacle for games to overcome, even at this point.  Physics and interaction between objects are what makes games jarringly different than real life.  

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yinstarrunner
    @Xpgamer7 said:

" The NGP is supposed to have PS3 quality graphics.

It won't. It'll just look pretty decent because it's running at a much lower revolution.

But this does mean that Sony is probably working on a PS4 with super hi-res graphics.

I'm sure Nintendo, Microsoft, and Sony have all been working on the next iterations of their hardware for quite some time now. 

Otherwise the NGP will push the PS3 out of the market.

Will never happen.  Handhelds and consoles are completely different beasts.

How high do you think the graphic quality will be? "
    Wait for Crysis 2 on the PC with full DX11 settings.  That will probably be what most console games will look like in the next generation.
    miningguyx360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By miningguyx360

well its more like consoles get the current GPUs in PCs for like 5-10 years. Apparently the GPU in the PS3 is equivalent to a nVidia 7900GTX which was the shit when it came out only to have the 8800 come out like next year to obliterate everything seen before it. I believe Crysis came out right after that.

Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#17  Edited By Geno

I'm going to say this right here and you can quote back to me if I'm wrong: the PSP2 won't have PS3 level graphics. Maybe close, and the increase in pixel density will certainly help, but people will not be confused as to whether a game is PS3 or NGP if shown side to side screenshots.

From PS3 Fat to PS3 slim they were able to cut down the wattage by half, 200W to 100W. Assuming they have the same die shrink and efficiency gain, that means to maintain exactly PS3 level graphics they will need somewhere around 50W.  

NGP will be 544p, PS3 is 720p;  

544/720*50 = 37.77. Let's call it 35W after factoring in the Blu Ray drive. Maybe 30W after subtracting the fans. Somewhere around there. To put it in perspective, a Wii console uses 18W. The Nintendo 3DS's Pica GPU uses less than 1W, and an iPhone uses about 7W. 

There is no way that they will get true PS3 fidelity while staying under the power envelope. Not if they intend to have a battery life longer than 30 minutes anyway.  

Edit: Unlike the PS3, the PSP2 will need to take care of a screen too so there's another power cost, though it may be negligible.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By penguindust

This is what the NGP is rumored to look like.  Apparently, this is a tech demo engine running real-time on the NGP. 

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Akrid
    @PenguinDust: Hopefully that's just a really shitty tech demo. Otherwise I'm pretty disappointed.
    DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DrPockets000

I think the NGP is in danger of collapsing under the weight of all its features.  There's just too fucking much in that thing.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Kjellm87

At this point I think the industry should chill out with the graphics and save themselves some money, for both them and our sakes.
    Use new consoles to make deeper experiences than just making it look more pretty I say.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By captain_clayman

i think it'll look better than the 3ds.  and even if it's not ps3 quality (it wont be) it'll still look pretty damn good especially for a handheld

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By xyzygy

The NGP is looking like it'll go the same route as the PSP. Slightly lesser graphics than it's console counterpart yet tries to be a home console too much rather than an actual portable.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @PenguinDust said:

" This is what the NGP is rumored to look like.  Apparently, this is a tech demo engine running real-time on the NGP. 

"
    So DX8.1 class graphics then.  Basic shaders, no stencil buffers and so on.  More like fully featured PS2 standard and miles away from PS3.  Figures.
    SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @captain_clayman said:
    " i think it'll look better than the 3ds.  and even if it's not ps3 quality (it wont be) it'll still look pretty damn good especially for a handheld "
    Don't kid yourself.  The iphone3gs is just as capable.
    Darth Paul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#26  Edited By Darth Paul

The latest issue of Game Informer has a whole article on this subject about the new Unreal Engine 3 and what they've been able to accomplish now with graphics in terms of lighting, and water and smoke effects that is above and beyond what current computers and game systems can do, but they expect that in about three years time all the graphics cards will be able to handle all the new pretty bells and whistles. Plus there was another article about the future of gaming and it basically stated that all the next gen consoles will probably be out in another year or two anyway.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By yoctoyotta

I'm too lazy to source, but a lot of developers, and I believe even Sony themselves have stated the NGP is not as powerful as the PS3, not by a long shot. The NGP has a sophisticated enough GPU that PS3 games can be ported with most-if-not-all of the shaders and lighting effects intact, but the system cannot push nearly the same number of polygons or render the same quality of textures. PS3 games will be ported by reducing the complexity by several factors, something I think is just fine for a handheld system that's lower resolution, as others have pointed out here.

Also, for those comparing the NGP to other handhelds, particularly the iOS platform and Android, Sony has quite an advantage, as developers are able to write their code to the metal and take 100% advantage of the hardware, whereas iOS and Android requires developers to work within an abstracted framework that sits on top of the OS. Even once phone and tablet hardware reaches the same specs as the NGP in a year or two, the games still can't look nearly as potentially good as an NGP game can.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By OmegaPirate

Given how we've seen actual NGP games being played in real time (not just tech demos) that look a dozen times better than that trailer, i'd say that was just a shitty engine/demo

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jayjonesjunior
    @Xpgamer7 said:

" The NGP is supposed to have PS3 quality graphics. After the PSP was supposed to have PS2 quality graphics I'm skeptical it'll be that good.

that good? the PS3 is 4 years old.
    chips got smaller, they consume less power, therefore they generate less heat, if you can pull graphics like that in a 4 year old waffel maker why are you so skeptical about doing it now? 4 year later.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.