Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Black/White

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Mar 06, 2011

Pokémon Black and White are the fifth generation of Pokémon games for the Nintendo DS. Both introduce several new game play innovations to the series including a more complex battle system, fully-animated 3D models and environments, extensive online integration, and a refresh of the entire selection of Pokémon.

Pokeman conspiracy theories =)

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By chickdigger802

Started played pokeman white and I noticed how Team Magma's goal sounded fairly noble and could go pretty deeply with animal rights/ species profiling (Think star trek) or what not (90% sure it won't). This got me thinking. Pokemon is targeted at a fairly young and impressionable audience. What are nintendo really trying to teach the kids? Here are a list of 'notable' things I picked up over the years. 

- Meat. It seems all pokemon can eat berries at the very least. But the people are seen eating "cartoon meat" in the anime a fair bit. Back in the day you'd just assume there were pokeman AND animals. But now they pretty much covered there bases with pokeman based on about anything. And I remember they did sell slowpoke tails for consumption before. But who knows. This leads to...

- Fishermen. If no one eats meat, aren't the fishermen really no different from poachers? 

- I'm 90% sure Team Plasma's end goal will involve some world changing bs with the box cover pokeman, but their main argument is notable. Based on how pokeballs work it's highly likely it induces some kind of nerve toxin or some form of brainwashing to get the critters on your side. On a different note....

- Houses. No house has bedrooms for parents. Sure pokemon has classic 'jrpg towns' but most of those get the bed count to equal the npc count of the house. What does this mean? Does it represent the hard life of parenting (no time for sleep) or something else? 

- World scope. Somethings really odd how the tech level in pokeman is someways way ahead of ours yet it seems the world is still pretty much unexplored. You see some airplanes in the anime, but I don't recall any in the games. And you can't 'fly' to places you haven't been before. 

This should cover most of the aspects that aren't just jrpg tropes. What are YOUR opinions? Now with some info, what are your theories? What nonsenses you noticed that I've missed?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By MikkaQ

There are cats and dogs in the pokemon universe, I believe they've been in the anime, so... I'm assuming normal animals exist. 

Though yeah playing through B/W, I've noticed this team's brought up a heavier issue than the others have in the past. They're more like eco-terrorists than normal thieves. Though they're pretty bad at it. And a terrorist is still a terrorist, I'll pokebattle anyone if it solves the world's problems hah. 

I kinda like how they're actually introducing issues like pokemon being servants to humans and such, those are the sorts of random things I think about video game world, and it's cool to see them addressed, especially in a kid's series where I though they would never go into the specifics of pokemon fighting politics and such.  

Though it's all a moot point, the shows and games have all gone far to express how much pokemon seem to enjoy the fights as well, so it's strange that it's an issue at all. Unless Unova really is far far away from the other pokemon regions, and has different issues like that. 

raviolisumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By raviolisumo

The real animals were fazed out in the anime. The real fish in the Cerulean Gym are now magikarps. 

Ash is in a coma, spoilers. lol.

neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By neoepoch

You said team magma? The ones who are not in the game? And had a stupid ass goal, just like aqua?
    Anyway plasma's true goal is insidious, but the true tragedy is how many people fall for it.

chickdigger802

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By chickdigger802

I do wish they didn't wear bonnets. Kinda lowers the seriousness lol. 

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By MikkaQ
    @Wes899 said:
    " The real animals were fazed out in the anime. The real fish in the Cerulean Gym are now magikarps.  Ash is in a coma, spoilers. lol. "
    I'm actually surprised to hear Ash is still the main character, I mean really, after like 13 years you'd think something would change about that. He must have a whole whack of pokemon now... his PC box must be getting full.  

And if they replaced all the real animals then... I'm slightly disturbed. Which pokemon are they eating.... I mean they can actually say their own name, if I heard a cow try to express itself to me by saying "Cow! Cow, cow. Cow, COW cow cow cow." I'd be a little more hesitant to eat them. 
    Catolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Catolf
    @XII_Sniper:  I hear Miltanks are delicious if you like them boil in thier own moo moo milk ^^ XD
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Romination
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " @Wes899 said:
    " The real animals were fazed out in the anime. The real fish in the Cerulean Gym are now magikarps.  Ash is in a coma, spoilers. lol. "
    I'm actually surprised to hear Ash is still the main character, I mean really, after like 13 years you'd think something would change about that. He must have a whole whack of pokemon now... his PC box must be getting full.   And if they replaced all the real animals then... I'm slightly disturbed. Which pokemon are they eating.... I mean they can actually say their own name, if I heard a cow try to express itself to me by saying "Cow! Cow, cow. Cow, COW cow cow cow." I'd be a little more hesitant to eat them.  "
    This is mostly explainable in that they wanted to keep regular animals around as comparisons. That's why you see things like "Cow Pokemon" and "Angry Pig Pokemon" in the Pokedex- they needed a parallel to draw, and once Pokemon were firmly set in place, they didn't need the regular animals and replaced them all with Pokemon. It's one of those things that they probably didn't think too much about and ends up making questions like this. 
    Truthfully, just like all of your questions.
    Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Afroman269

I can hear the foundation that the pokemon logic was built on crumbling at your inspections.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By Example1013

On the issue of no beds for NPCs...do you really want them to waste cartridge space putting in a third floor just so your mom has a bedroom? There are also plenty of kid characters who don't have bedrooms either. In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, where does Wally sleep in his parents' house? There's one floor, and on it you have a table, a stove, a TV, and probably a bookshelf. 

I agree that they could change this point, but...why bother by now?

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ViciousReiven

I wish they'd go deeper into the genetic experiments that were going on (creation of Mewtwo), and more stuff like that, I'd love to see some failed experiments, physical deformaties, biological mutations, etc. 
    what about the government? are you telling me there's no military? sure there's the police, but what about something like pokemon swat teams? no issues between different continents of the pokemon world?  
    Sure it's getting into teh less child friendly territory, but that's what would really get me into Pokemon again.  

This one reason I watched Digimon in conjunction with Pokemon as a kid, it was darker, you had dudes forecfully slaving them, you had outright cruelty, hell you even had the digital equivalent of Satan summoned into the real world destroying shit.... man I need to rewatch that someday.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By DarkShaper

One of the gym leaders in Black/White talks about airplanes so those exist in the games.

Simplexity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By Simplexity
    @Wes899:
      Holy fuck, the pokemon anime is STILL going? I remember watching that every sunday like 12 years ago, is it still the exact same show as then or have they introduced new characters or something?
    Belonpopo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Belonpopo
    @chickdigger802: Team Magma?
    jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#15  Edited By jacksukeru

They all sleep on fold away futons. 

Duh.

raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By raiz265
    @RockmanBionics said:
    " They all sleep on fold away futons.  Duh. "
    They don't sleep, they do coke to stay on top of things.
    Romination

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Romination
    @example1013 said:
    " On the issue of no beds for NPCs...do you really want them to waste cartridge space putting in a third floor just so your mom has a bedroom? There are also plenty of kid characters who don't have bedrooms either. In Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, where does Wally sleep in his parents' house? There's one floor, and on it you have a table, a stove, a TV, and probably a bookshelf.  I agree that they could change this point, but...why bother by now? "
    This is a similar question to "why does the character never sleep" and "where is the bathroom" for most games. The answer: because who cares.
    imsh_pl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By imsh_pl
    @ViciousReiven said:

" I wish they'd go deeper into the genetic experiments that were going on (creation of Mewtwo), and more stuff like that, I'd love to see some failed experiments, physical deformaties, biological mutations, etc. "

A crossover between a Pokemon and a man...

The Pokemon Centipede.

INCEPTION
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By AndrewB

I think the plot with team Plasma could have been interesting, and I'm not anywhere near the end of the game yet, but I can already see where things are heading because the writers for the Pokemon series don't exactly use subtlety in storytelling, and if I'm right then it will ultimately be just another tale of evil people doing clearly evil things, rather than the shades of black and white (har har) that could have made this the first Pokemon game with a meaningful story element. I get that the game is for kids, but making it brain-dead stupid isn't necessary. After all, I remember being a kid and not giving a crap about anything in Pokemon Red besides what my next Pokemon would be, so why not include at least a little nod of intelligence for the adult crowd that is, for whatever reason, still interested in Pokemon games (though after my experiences with Black, I'm starting to question if this is the end of the line for me). 

In case my point got lost in the mini rant, there's no conspiracy theory to the story of Pokemon B/W because it seems like just another Pokemon nonsense "story" wrapped around an okay fighting mechanic. I'll have to see if my opinion changes once I'm finished.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.