Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon Sun/Moon

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Nov 18, 2016

Pokémon's 20th anniversary game invites players to the tropical, Hawai'i-styled Alola region.

The freedom of HMless Pokemon

jordarx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jordarx

I haven't done a lot of digging, even still, I feel like the major headlines reviewing this game should exalt the decision to do away with HMs. As someone who largely plays only the single player aspects of pokemon games, being able to navigate the game without wasting four or five move slots is relief. Why are not more people excited about this?

Error52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Most people are, I think. Almost every review I've seen praises the removal.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jordarx: A couple of them were alright (Surf, Waterfall, Fly and Strength all did pretty good damage, though fly being two-turns wasn't the greatest) but not having to deal with all of the rest is extremely nice. Rock climb / smash, dive, cut, etc. No more HM slaves (losing an entire pokemon slot was terrible). And yeah it's kind of surprising nobody else seems to be excited about it.

If they had to get rid of them, I'm really happy they chose to replace it with riding pokemon instead of something else. Aside from being awesome in general, it's a really good way to show the relationship between people and 'mon. Also Lapras is baller.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Oh wow. I haven't finished the game and am on the second island and have been wondering if the HM's were ever going to surface but yeah this makes total sense because that's what those poke dudes you summon are for.

I do miss having strength, surf, and fly as battle moves though

RipTheVeins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By RipTheVeins

I wonder what they're gonna do about pokemon from previous generations that have the hm stuff as battle moves. I imagine that's one of the reasons previous generations aren't transferable yet.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@riptheveins: They forced you before to see a move deleter before being to transfer Pokemon to another version that doesn't have a specific HM

Milijango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@riptheveins: All of the HM moves are still in the game, so probably nothing. They'll just be useful inside battle and nowhere else.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They made those old HMs into TMs for battle purposes. I've gotten Fly, but haven't finished the game yet, I'm sure there are others.

OMGFather

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah it's incredible. That and EXP share are so good.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Pretty much everyone agrees it's a good change, the only reason I think it isn't worth making that big of a deal about is because it's so obvious they should have ditched that design choice a long time ago.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Interesting thing to know if I care enough to get the Switch version.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redyoshi said:

They made those old HMs into TMs for battle purposes. I've gotten Fly, but haven't finished the game yet, I'm sure there are others.

Oh cool, was worried that they were gone completely

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#13 sweep  Moderator

I haven't purchased this game but fuck, that's a great move. I always hated having to waste those HM slots, and every game iteration there seemed to be more and more of them.

probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Holy shit I might've actually bought the new Pokemon just for this, if only the game wasn't set in a tropical setting.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went through the whole game without a water pokemon on my team. It was really weird. I do wish they'd given you the old HM moves as TMs sooner; some of them had decent battle utility.

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad they made TMs reusable. Was that new to Sun/Moon or was that introduced in another generation? I always ended up saving TMs until I get what would be my "final" team set-up and then never used them.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

@burncoat: I think it was Gen 5 that made TMs reusable. That or 6.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jjor64: @burncoat: Yeah, that was Gen V; although, they had obtuse breeding mechanics that let you pass down TM moves from male pokemon ever since they introduced breeding in Gen II.

xGumby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing that annoys me about riding pokemon is that it changes the music. It's nit picky, but I like to hear the different music of the places I go. Way better than HMs though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.