Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Pokémon

Franchise »

The Pokémon franchise has spawned numerous titles and spin-offs, spanning several generations of games and has an animated series that spans many seasons.

Console Pokemon RPG

benitobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By benitobb

I'm 23 and used to play Red/Blue and Sapphire/Ruby like crazy, and even though I haven't touched a Pokemon game in over 5 years I am still waiting for a real console RPG. I'm talking like Fallout 3 1st person style game with Pokemon. I wouldn't care how fucking stupid or immature I would look, but I would go ape-shit if I heard Bethesda was making a Pokemon game, even if it had to be on a Wii. I mean, Bioware did a Sonic RPG so maybe I'm not totally crazy for wanting this.

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Coltonio7

Mind blown.

Zajtalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Zajtalan

are you serious? why dont you play those games on the gamecube

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By apathylad

This reminds me of how many fans say a Pokemon MMORPG would be awesome...even though it would never happen.

Aska

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Aska
    @Zajtalan said:

" are you serious? why dont you play those games on the gamecube "

Because they aren't the same thing. You know this.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By JJOR64

Stick with the Pokemon games on handhelds, they are better that way.

demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7  Edited By demontium

Pokemon MMO anyone?  

yeah lets listen to demontium...

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
    mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mano521

i was just talking about this hahaha this is crazy. 
    i think if you could have the same kind of game, only 3d, i would totally buy it.  
    but they would definitely have to have every pokemon in it. they really just need a huge game that covers all regions and allows you to get all pokemon. 

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

I can't see a first person Pokemon RPG working very well, but I'd love a full 3D pokemon RPG on console

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#12  Edited By Meowayne
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @Apathylad said:
    " This reminds me of how many fans say a Pokemon MMORPG would be awesome...even though it would never happen. "
    Actually, it kinda already did... "
    Wait, what? Need more info.
    mutha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mutha3

Eh.

Pokemon games are best of not existing anymore. Unless Nintendo finally pulls Pokemon out of 1996 JRPG mechanics.

Which I doubt, because they release the same shit every year(Pokemon of course, not their good stuff).

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I've always felt the Pokemon games work much, much better on the handhelds with the overhead perspective but maybe that's just my sense of nostalgia talking.

dbz1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By dbz1995

New Super Pokemon Wii?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#16  Edited By Icemael

A Bethesda-developed first-person Pokemon game would be awful. And let's face it, so would an MMO; it might sound great in theory, but in practice, it would be an absolute mess.

therabidfrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By therabidfrog

Pokemonsters is a fools gambit

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By rallier
    @Meowayne said:

" @JJWeatherman said:

" @Apathylad said:
    " This reminds me of how many fans say a Pokemon MMORPG would be awesome...even though it would never happen. "
    Actually, it kinda already did... "
    Wait, what? Need more info. "
    Its an unofficial game. Quite surprising that Nintendo did not close it down already.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Meowayne

No, its obvious that it is a fanmade project, but the question is: How does it play? Judging from some screenshots, you can talk to and battle other players, but don't actually see them on the world map?
    Neither the official site nor goodle make it really  transparent what it is you do and can do in this game.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @Icemael said:
    " A Bethesda-developed first-person Pokemon game would be awful. And let's face it, so would an MMO; it might sound great in theory, but in practice, it would be an absolute mess. "
    I think if it were actually developed by Bethesda it would indeed suck, but a Pokemon game along the same line of thinking has the ability to be amazing.  

A MMO though, yeah I agree it's a terrible idea. The central focus point of most Pokemon games is combat and guess what, all that is online now if you want, even in 3D. Pokemon doesn't have any of the stuff most MMOs have, you don't go questing, you don't team up to go into dungeons and beat hard bosses to get phat loot, you don't PVP in real time to play CTF, you just find dudes and fight them. A Pokemon MMO would be far far different than what the GBA or 3d console series provided and at that point most fans would probably be shitting on it and why make an MMO? Why not put those resources on developing the current online stuff and making it more refined.  

While PBR does indeed have online battles they are very basic unless you fight someone you have traded FCs with. Random battles are either 3v3 or 4v4 (depending if you do double battles or not) and there are no custom battle phrases/nicknames/etc. All that stuff is for friend battles only, they should be working on expanding the world of random battles instead of wasting time on stuff like an MMO, add new game modes and the like.
    wolfman95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By wolfman95

Hello everyone ive been thinking about the exact samething as you when it comes to a console pokemon game. Ever since ive played skyrim and other elder scrolls games ive realized that a pokemon game wouldn't be impossible with the current gaming software. I realize this post hasn't been commented on in like 3 years but i would like to know if anyone thinks its possable for them to come out with a pokemon game where you actually have to have skill as a trainer to catch pokemon instead of the results being randomly generated at the push of a button? I personally like the idea of playing as the pokemon in battle situations.

Jdiggity88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jdiggity88

@benitobb: Don't know if someone mentioned this already but there is actually a fall out 3 mod that turns the game play into a pokemon type battle system. By that I mean you throw pokeballs and death claws as well as other monsters fight for you.

Jdiggity88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jdiggity88
    AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By AndrewB

I don't think you're the first person to suggest a Pokemon RPG developed by Bethesda, believe it or not. Oh man, would NIntendo have a money-printing machine of epic proportions if they allowed that and Bethesda agreed.

I used to be crazy for the idea of a console Pokemon game in the same vein as the Gameboy games, but honestly, I prefer those games to be portable. I spent the majority of my hours upon hours of Pokemon idling through the tedious levelling while doing other things like watching TV.

All I really want is a Pokemon game that does away with the grid-based system of world traversal, and adopts a streamlined interface and game mechanics. One example: running from battle should not take a wait time of 30 seconds for initial animations, it should be an option before battle and then if you fail to run, the enemy gets a free round against your Pokemon as usual. Also, you've been on a system with a touchscreen for 3 games now and haven't once deeply integrated touch into the way you play the game, even though it could make things a whole lot simpler. Pokemon is only a notch above Madden in terms of lazy handling of their sure-sellers. I'd also like to see a mature storyline. Go ahead and laugh, but the Pokemon games have some pretty deep mechanics that I'm sure more adults would appreciate if they didn't feel embarrassed playing a kids game. There's a lot of potential.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By imhungry

What a weird thread revival.

Anyway, forget RPGs. Pokemon Survival-Horror where you play AS a Pokemon trying to survive in the wild, evading vicious wild Pokemon and trainers looking to capture you.

wolfman95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By wolfman95

I really wanna play a pokemon game thats like the anime series.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AndrewB

@ImHungry said:

Man, then I feel weird replying to such a thread without realizing it's a necro.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By BBAlpert

@ImHungry said:

Anyway, forget RPGs. Pokemon Survival-Horror where you play AS a Pokemon trying to survive in the wild, evading vicious wild Pokemon and trainers looking to capture you.

Pewter City Jungle

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By imhungry

@BBAlpert said:

@ImHungry said:

Pewter City Jungle

I would totally buy Pokemon-themed Tokyo Jungle DLC.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By MikkaQ

I just want a Pokemon game I can play on a big screen even if it's through some kind of insane Game Boy Player (but for DS) accessory for the WiiU or whatever.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Barrock

The fact that after all these years they still haven't released a full blown console Pokemon game is mind bottling to me.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AlexW00d

What about a Pokémon kinect game game where you bellow commands at Pokémon and then watch them do something completely different.

CaveFlag0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaveFlag0

There is a internet game called Pokemon 3D,it's Pokemon Gold/Silver( it's Fan-Made btw) In First Person View! Check it out Here:http://www.indiedb.com/games/pokmon-3d

FrankieSpankie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By FrankieSpankie

I wouldn't want it to be first person, I would think something similar to Final Fantasy style gameplay. I would definitely get it though, even if it meant buying a Wii U in order to play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.