Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prey

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 05, 2017

The second game released with the Prey title, the player assumes the role of Morgan Yu as they attempt to escape the space station Talos-1 after a catastrophic alien outbreak.

Prey Let's talk Spoilers

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By soulcake

So i have just finished Prey. the ending was a real mindfuck with it all being a simulation / dream kinda spoiled myself after trying to escape talos in the escape pod and Yu yelling stop the simulation ( was neat that they put it in there ) all by all the game was pretty fun to bad they force you to play stealthy and fuck trying to search a robot for 3 HOURS outside the station. Would like to hear your experience feel free to post down below.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2  Edited By LawGamer

@soulcake said:

So i have just finished Prey. the ending was a real mindfuck with it all being a simulation / dream kinda spoiled myself after trying to escape talos in the escape pod and Yu yelling stop the simulation ( was neat that they put it in there ) all by all the game was pretty fun to bad they force you to play stealthy and fuck trying to search a robot for 3 HOURS outside the station. Would like to hear your experience feel free to post down below.

I haven't finished the game and I have not read your spoiler tag, but think I have a pretty good idea where this is headed, so you can just tell me how close I am to being right or wrong. I hope I'm wrong, but I feel like the game has been pretty obvious with what the "twist" is going to end up being.

* The entire game is actually a Matrix-style simulation.

* The simulation is being run because you are actually an alien the whole time.

* The simulation is designed to try to teach the aliens empathy.

* You will be presented with three choices at the end of the game, which will parallel the train track question you got on the psych-test at the beginning of the game. You can (a) blow up the station and yourself, which will mean the simulation succeeds, and is equivalent to throwing yourself in front of the train, (b) kill your brother, which is the equivalent of throwing the fat man in front of the train or (c) do nothing, which is the equivalent of letting the aliens escape the station.

Also, is it bad that I've been playing for about 10 hours and still can't decide if I like the game or not? The design is cool, but good gravy does the combat feel bad. It's so awkward. And not awkward in a "think strategically" kind of way, but more in a "flail around randomly and hope for the best" kind of way.

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the more appropriate movie reference is Dark City, obviously.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By soulcake

@lawgamer: You're spot on ! Did you write this game :P

PS. combat wise i felt pure combat users got a bad experience where in a "new" deus ex game such builds are viable while this game almost forces stealth gameplay on you especially if your playing above the normal difficulty.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By chrispaul92

@soulcakeDo you know if getting alien powers negatively affects the ending. I stumbled into spoilers and I at least want the choice of being able to kill or join the group at the end. I haven't gotten any yet because I'm crippled with indecision that using the fun powers could hurt my ending.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Efesell

@lawgamer: Yeah kinda with you, that's definitely where this all seems to be going.

Which.. I'm okay with? I've still been very interested in digging deep into emails and notes and what have you to fill in all the gaps.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chrispaul92: they just change one line of dialogue in the end it's not worth it to be honest.

Nardak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well dunno..if you invest into the slow motion skill chain...you can forget stealth at least when the skill isnt on cooldown. At tier 2 that skill gets pretty good combined with weapon upgrades. Was able to kill most mobs with the exception of nightmares during slow motion (on hard difficulty). Sometimes i softened the mobs up with the gloo gun or a nullwave bomb.

Also i definately recommend playing this game on pc if possible. Tried the demo on ps4 and the movement felt sluggish.

Just wondering why are we using spoiler tags in a thread marked as spoilers?

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw the twist of you being a mimic coming, but I thought that the game really stuck the landing with the way it explained it all. Very well done ending to a great game. I did find the option for a "verify your decisions or completely go against them" at the very very end to be a little silly, although I don't know if you get the option to even shake Alex's hand if you go the no empathy route. I saved everyone and blew up the station, myself.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By handlas

@sethmode said:

I saw the twist of you being a mimic coming, but I thought that the game really stuck the landing with the way it explained it all. Very well done ending to a great game. I did find the option for a "verify your decisions or completely go against them" at the very very end to be a little silly, although I don't know if you get the option to even shake Alex's hand if you go the no empathy route. I saved everyone and blew up the station, myself.

Save everyone but blow up station? I guess that equates to the BEST GOOD ending? Does it matter if u escape with the other people in the shuttle or use Alex's pod?

I thought the game was quite good. Took 20 hours for me to reach the end. I saved everyone, knocked out Dahl so they could use his shuttle, saved Alex but chose to use the device to kill the aliens instead of blowing up the station. They seemed to question that decision at the final cutscene even though I thought that was the "good" way to go. And I didn't put any upgrades into the alien powers either which they noticed.

The only thing I didn't do was kill the imposter chef guy because I never knew where he was.

Also, I thought the game was way too hard at the beginning but I was waaay overpowered at the end. Felt great. I wish I had dumped neromods into the stamina stuff earlier because being super fast with a high jump really made things easier.

HotPie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont think i am comfortable with any mario 2 style ending. It was great without that last scene tacked on.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Gotta say I was really worried there for a second when I went through the side quest that gives you the side ending (the escape pod one). Because of the obvious mega hint that sidequest drops in how it ends the game my fear instantly became that if they just went ahead with the whole "you're in VR" concept then that would make the rest of your actions and decisions in the game meaningless, this is a trap many bad videogame narratives can fall into.

But to the games credit they leaned into that concept and took on my fear of how will they work around the meaningless actions paradox and just fucking tackled it very directly and made it a very important linchpin of the story. It felt like the writers knew exactly what they were doing. So much respect for that. They had their cake and ate it too. Gotta give props for that.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ivdamke

I very much enjoyed the game, and I really like how it delivered the ending and the lead-up to it. After the initial intro the game did fall into a lull narratively but it really picked up once you get to the crews quarters.

Just curious of the people who have big issues with the combat were you on console? I feel like the controller just would hamper console players just too much especially with certain enemies like the Etheric Phantoms. On PC I mostly found the game to be of similar difficulty levels to other FPS games of present.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gerrid

I just finished it, went for the ending with the nullwave and then shook Alex's hand at the end for a nice happy harmony ending . then of course went back and tried the other ending, which is actually identical. so that's kind of a bummer.

I really liked the game overall. the world building was wonderful, the gameplay and environments fun and challenging, and I loved being able to go outside so much.

but for sure I had a problem with the combat for most of the early and middle part of the game. later on it got fun.

I think the way they handled the psi powers was really disappointing. they openly punish you for choosing them, even though they seem way more fun than going straight human. in the end I just used 3 powers - the disable, the mimic and the telekinesis.

once I had the disable it made fights much easier tbh. as did the time slowing power and fast sprint. so if I was to play again I'd go for those as quickly as possible.

stealth was a waste of time, every time I tried it I ended up just repeatedly quick loading until I through, which is boring.

also I should add the loading times on ps4 were abysmal and killed the pacing of the final act completely.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Just finished it. I guess I'm late to the party. I waited until a few patches before playing through it.

I'm a little torn on the ending. It's a "...then you woke up and it was all a dream" kind of ending, but finishing the game in the "most empathetic way possible" did give me the fuzzies.

The game has a who swath of glitches, quirks, and annoyances (even after several patches). But in this game, more than most others, it doesn't matter. After all, it's just a simulation, so any issues can just be explained away by it being a simulation...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.