Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands

Game » consists of 25 releases. Released May 18, 2010

Ubisoft returns to the Sands of Time universe for a fourth time in this May 2010 release, set in between the first two games in the trilogy and coinciding with the release of the Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time movie.

I really hope that this game doesn't suck as much as the last one

• 51 results
    papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By papuccino1

The last Prince game was absolutely HORRID. For one, you couldn't even die; not once. My 4 year old brother beat the game in two days, that says a lot about the games difficulty and depth.

Also, the dialogue was atrocious. "Farrahhhh hurrrrr farrahhhhhhh?????" Jesus Christ, the Prince sounded like a cross between a dumb jock and a lobotomy patient. 

I pray to ODIN that this games tries to emulate a bit of the first game of the PS2 era. Great writing, great platforming sequences that demand skill and timing, and great combat. Not this Disney hand-holding BS.

BrittonPeele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By BrittonPeele

I loved the 360/PS3 "Prince of Persia" and personally can't wait for a sequel. Don't get me wrong, the "Sands of TIme" saga is also brilliant (and better in some ways, storytelling probably included), but "Prince of Persia" was still fantastic.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#3  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Sargus said:
    " I loved the 360/PS3 "Prince of Persia" and personally can't wait for a sequel. Don't get me wrong, the "Sands of TIme" saga is also brilliant (and better in some ways, storytelling probably included), but "Prince of Persia" was still fantastic. "
    Agreed.

@papuccino1:
    So you like dying in video games? Strange.
    Avatar image for randominternetuser
    RandomInternetUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I liked PoP 2008 a lot, and it was quite a unique experience, but maybe not one that I want to experience more to be honest...  So yeah, I'm hoping this one is like the old games except better combat.

eskimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By eskimo

I seriously doubt a 4 year old could have finished this by themselves.

emkeighcameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By emkeighcameron

I liked the atmosphere, platforming, and characters of the 2008 game. I fucking HATED the "combat", and that almost ruined the whole thing for me. If they hadn't been so damn lazy on the combat side of things, it would've been a great game. 

So yeah, I hope they don't fuck up as badly this time.

loldetaerleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By loldetaerleo

PoP08 was awesome.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I think the last Prince of Persia was the best one yet. I'm kind of bummed the new one isn't a direct sequel. Sure, the gameplay was simplified, but I don't think it hurt the experience much. 

While I did enjoy The Sands of Time, I've always felt it was overrated and throughout the majority of it, The Prince ranked as one of the most annoying characters ever created. Plus a lot of the platforming in that one was kind of annoying and really just not that much fun at times. Not that it was too challenging, just... not that interesting a lot of the time. Oh, and the rewind feature was a neat idea, but I think the new Prince of Persia showed that things are better off without it.

spaceturtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By spaceturtle

I really liked the last one! It was a different game than anything else I've played. More artistic in a way. Also, the combat isn't all that good, the devs took a big risk when choosed to go for that style of  combat and overall I think they pulled it off. Characters were pretty decent too!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LiquidPrince

Why was everyone so pissed off that you couldn't die? Honestly what the fuck is up with that...? Do people want to see a reload screen? It was a clever way to expedite the process of reloading, or retrying.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " Why was everyone so pissed off that you couldn't die? Honestly what the fuck is up with that...? Do people want to see a reload screen? It was a clever way to expedite the process of reloading, or retrying. "
    Yeah, I don't get it either.

This thread is making me really want to play more Prince of Persia.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mazik765
    @papuccino1 said:
    " The last Prince game was absolutely HORRID. For one, you couldn't even die; not once. My 4 year old brother beat the game in two days, that says a lot about the games difficulty and depth.

Also, the dialogue was atrocious. "Farrahhhh hurrrrr farrahhhhhhh?????" Jesus Christ, the Prince sounded like a cross between a dumb jock and a lobotomy patient. 
    Wow...so many things wrong with this. First off, just going to get it out of the way PoP08 was awesome.

Secondly the 'no dying thing'. Yeah I can see how getting moved back to the last safe location whenever you fail could be annoying...so you better stop playing video games because it's called a checkpoint and just about every game in the last decade has had them. The fact that PoP08 was able to give a story based reason as to why you kept randomly reappearing at the last safe location was well done, I thought.

And the dialogue? I thought it was perfectly fine. I don't know if you were drunk or high at the time of playing, but I have no idea what you might be talking about. Overall the new Prince was about a million times more tolerable than the SoT prince...that guy needs to lighten the hell up.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13  Edited By apathylad

I wasn't that big of fan of the last one. It was okay, but I didn't like collecting those white orbs to progress the story, and the combat wasn't all that involved.

sjupp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By sjupp

I didn't like the last one as a PoP-game but I still enjoyed it. Also looking forward to the next one.

Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15  Edited By Cube

PoP was gorgeous. 

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By papuccino1

ITT: 15 year olds that just bought a console.

flaminghobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By flaminghobo

Prince of Persia was a decent game. The problem the game suffered from was that it "held my hand" too much and I felt like I was being guided rather than playing the game. The Forgotten Sands should be interesting but I doubt it'll be better than any of the the original Sands of Time trilogy.

ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18  Edited By ZenaxPure
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " I think the last Prince of Persia was the best one yet. I'm kind of bummed the new one isn't a direct sequel. "
    Almost exactly how I feel about the new PoP. I have literally no interest in the new game. After beating the PoP 2008 epilogue I feel invested in the story now. After that all the cliche/boring story stuff was out of the way and I really want to know where the plot will/would of moved from there... Bah I hope they at least tie up the plot somehow.
    Onigenko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Onigenko

People nowadays hate the checkpoint system? I mean, that "save you from death" thing was just that, would it be better if there was a death screen which has a "Restart from Checkpoint" -button?

papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By papuccino1
    @Onigenko said:
    " People nowadays hate the checkpoint system? I mean, that "save you from death" thing was just that, would it be better if there was a death screen which has a "Restart from Checkpoint" -button? "
    The didn't have a checkpoint systme. It had a "if you die don't worry hurrr; I'll place you safely EXACTLY where you were" system. 

A checkpoint is something in a game that is set after certain events happen or when a player passes an area. This game just saved your ass anytime anywhere.

Sucks.
    Elazul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Elazul

Speaking as someone who isn't fourteen years old and fucking HATES Godsmack, the last Prince of Persia was by far the best in my opinion. Sure, Sands of time was great but it was also like 6 hours long.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#22  Edited By KowalskiManDown

PoP '08 was my favourite of the entire series... sounds like you were playing a completely different game.

carlthenimrod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By carlthenimrod
    @papuccino1 said:
    " The last Prince game was absolutely HORRID. For one, you couldn't even die; not once. My 4 year old brother beat the game in two days, that says a lot about the games difficulty and depth.  "
    You couldn't die in Bioshock either. It was just a way to quickly restart you without having to go through a death sequence and checkpoint reload every time you fell off.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By OmegaPirate

I believe the OP is a lobotomy patient

tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By tebbit
    @JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:
    " Why was everyone so pissed off that you couldn't die? Honestly what the fuck is up with that...? Do people want to see a reload screen? It was a clever way to expedite the process of reloading, or retrying. "

This thread is making me really want to play more Prince of Persia. "
    I did exactly this. Go play some more PoP, you won't regret it.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Tebbit said:
    " @JJWeatherman said:
    " @LiquidPrince said:

This thread is making me really want to play more Prince of Persia. "
    I did exactly this. Go play some more PoP, you won't regret it. "
    I would, but sadly I rented it when I played it. I'm gonna buy it though, it's just a matter of time. It's one of my favorite games to come out the past couple years.

@creamypies:
    You stole a picture of my cat and used it as your avatar pic!  :P

I have a really fat cat.
     Fuuuuuuji!
     Fuuuuuuji!
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#27  Edited By KowalskiManDown
    @JJWeatherman: Haha! Fat cats are awesome! Be proud of your cat!
    lead_farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By lead_farmer

I liked the last POP. Also enjoyed the earlier trilogy.  I thought the 2008 one was a nice change of pace.  Just because you can't die doesn't make it awful.  Plus, there was an achievement to beat it without having to be saved, so if you think you are so damn badass you could try to do that.

Or you could be 12 years old and type "hurr" into your discussion, because it REALLY gets the point across.

mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By mazik765
    @papuccino1:  Actually that is the textbook defenition of a checkpoint. When you die, it moves you back to the last checkpoint location which in this game was the last platform you were on. The fact they did this without having to sit through a load screen everytime I feel off was done perfectly. 
    wickedsc3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By wickedsc3

Did anyone else find the last POP to be really repeative???  I think that is what i didnt like about it i mean u just climbed and got all the orbs then fought the boss guy then did it again??  Just wondering if it was just me or did anyone else notice it?
    CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CptBedlam

I got bored of the last POP not because it was easy but because it was so ridiculously on rails. There was always one exact route and the connections between the levels felt like the player is stuck in traffic with left lane and right lane. Also, the fighting was bs.

It appears though that the next POP will suck on a different level. The animations are stiff as hell and moving or fighting just doesn't look fun.

My guess is that they have lost a few key people since Sands of Time and are just not able to recreate what made that game great: the dreamlike oriental mood, the well designed levels and the incredibly fluid movement.

Cwaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By Cwaff

The new Prince of Persia wasn't one of my favourites... I actually got bored of it and stopped playing and ended up giving it back to my friend before I completed it, something I rarely do... But it didn't stop me ordering it off Play.com for £5 in the sale!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Brendan

I liked PoP 2008.  The restart system was just a component of the level design, since almost any mistake made the player fall to his/her death.  The PS2 era game's level design was such that alot of the puzzle solving traversal had floors for the player to land on if he/she messed up.  I also don't see how it is much different than the time rewind feature, since that was in such abundance that it almost never ran out anyway.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#34  Edited By Rhaknar

the last PoP was fucking awesome

arkkazeal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By arkkazeal

Personally I preferred the Sands of Time trilogy and enjoyed how the third game ended. It wrapped the series up for me and I kinda wish they just left it alone, but I guess I can just go on imagining the other games don`t exist.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ghostiet

I don't think the whole "can't die" dispute was the biggest of PoP's problems. No. I think that the game's main problems were its HORRIBLE writing (hey, let's make out-of-place jokes about ass and fuck the whole plot outright with our dumb ending), way too much backtracking and a dumb fighting system without which the game could fare quite nicely.

I'm happy for a return to the SoT storyline, but I'm still cautious - I can't trust a prequel where you get new powers.

mikeeegeee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mikeeegeee

My only problem with PoP 2008 was that the platforming was too "paint by numbers." It was almost just a series of quick time events. Other than that, and the repetition, it was awesome. Definitely some of my favorite art direction of this generation. Good christ was that game pretty.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#38  Edited By ProfessorEss

I don't know if I use the term LOVE, but I really liked the last PoP.
    I find the franchise as a while has had enough hits and misses that I take each release as it comes.

I do really hope they replace Nolan North tho, as much as I love his voice work he really didn't work as the prince for me.

Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#39  Edited By MachoFantastico

I thought the previous Prince of Persia game had some great ideas and looks beautiful, I'm sort of angry that Ubisoft have gone for a movie tie-in instead of a new installment of that series.  

And from what I've seen, this new Prince of Persia looks pretty awful.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By haggis

The Sands of Time was great. The sequels ... not so much. The 2008 Prince of Persia was a decent game that didn't live up to expectations. It was by no means a lousy game. My expectations for The Forgotten Sands are pretty low. Ubi is using the Assassin's Creed engine, which I have to admit looks pretty good, and provides a strong foundation for the new game. Honestly, I always saw Assassin's Creed as a kind of spiritual heir to the Prince of Persia games, despite the lack of wall running and the lack of puzzle-based platforming (which did feature--a little--in AC2). I'm hoping for the best, but it's certainly on the "wait-and-see" list. If it's getting a metacritic score over 80 after release, I'll probably pick it up used this summer when the price drops. I've been too disappointed in recent games to pick up anything but a sure thing on release day.

As for the save system: there is a happy medium between checkpoints and saves that I think the last game didn't hit. If you save too often, the game is too easy. I think the game was a little too easy. Still, there was a lot of opportunity for quick death, given that the controls were a touch wonky. Of course, if you don't have sufficient checkpoints, then people complain about the game making you go back and repeat difficult sections too often. So they get hit both ways. I still don't think it was the best decision on their part, but I can completely understand it.

@TrueEnglishGent: I'm pretty sure The Forgotten Sands isn't a movie tie-in. The movie is based on the Sands of Time trilogy, and the new game is based within that story, but the two aren't the same. I don't think.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41  Edited By Shadow

You're a bad person
    HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HandsomeDead

I'll never understand why people like the 2008 Prince of Persia. Barely even a game.

Deusoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43  Edited By Deusoma
    @papuccino1 said:

"A checkpoint is something in a game that is set after certain events happen or when a player passes an area. This game just saved your ass anytime anywhere."

I know, wasn't it awesome? :D
    papuccino1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By papuccino1
    @Deusoma said:
    " @papuccino1 said:

"A checkpoint is something in a game that is set after certain events happen or when a player passes an area. This game just saved your ass anytime anywhere."

I know, wasn't it awesome? :D "
    Quite the opposite.
    Dustpan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Dustpan

Are you making fun of Nolan North?!

Edit: Prince of Persia 08 was fun as hell.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
    Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Organicalistic_
    @papuccino1: I thought I would be burned at the stake for making one of these, Yes it absolutely sucked. My favorite POP game was the two thrones, or the sands of time
    warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By warxsnake

pop08 was not profitable, so it should be no surprise that the higher ups do not want to revisit that variant of the franchise.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#48  Edited By InfiniteGeass

I hope they make a sequel to the last Prince of Persia game. I really enjoyed the characters, story, and gameplay in the game. This game on the other hand I have no interest in.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By beforet

I liked the last PoP. Especially the atmosphere of the cleared areas. Really calming.

Avatar image for deactivated-57aaaa9329732
    deactivated-57aaaa9329732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind the not dying thing.  
    What irked me is that the game had nothing to do with Prince of Persia.  

"Princess of Gravity doesn't apply world" may have been a more app title.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.