Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Project X Zone

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Oct 11, 2012

Capcom, Sega, and Namco team up for this crossover strategy RPG for the 3DS using some of their most iconic characters. A spiritual sequel to Namco X Capcom.

Project X Zone is out this week. Are you getting it?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Poll Project X Zone is out this week. Are you getting it? (106 votes)

Yah, you bet'cha! 46%
    Nope. 30%
    Project Ecks Zone? What is video game? 24%

So Project X Zone, that crazy crossover strategy RPG that has Capcom, Namco, and Sega characters all teaming up and beating each other is finally coming out in North America this week. So who all is taking the plunge? My Amazon order has already shipped and should be arriving in the next couple of days, at which point it will need to fight it out with Animal Crossing: New Leaf for my 3DS time.

• 
    FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Not after playing the demo I won't. Gameplay, at first, seemed boring and I could tolerate it if the fanservice was worth it for me, but I don't know most of the cast.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

If I had a 3DS I guess? Seeing as I don't have a 3DS that would be a big negative.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know most of the cast.

I just use it as a reason to learn more about the cast that is present.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speaking of weird mash ups. I did play Cross Edge which was kind of weird and had Capcom Characters in it.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hailinel

Speaking of weird mash ups. I did play Cross Edge which was kind of weird and had Capcom Characters in it.

I've got that game. It's really interesting. Wish it played a bit better, but I really want to go back and finish it at some point despite the flaws it has.

I'm disappointed that Namco X Capcom was never released in the States, though.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

Eventually, but it won't be released here for another week or so. I'll probably end up reviewing it too. Honestly, it might not be fantastic, but I'll be darned if I'm going to miss out on another one of these crossover RPGs after the sadly untranslated Namco X Capcom.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm curious, but torn. I need to hear more real experiences of playing it before I'm sold.

Daneian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

I'm always interested in new Capcom mashups. Marvel vs Capcom and Card Fighters Clash are pretty awesome. Hope its good.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel: Yeah its an okay game. I've also got Trinity Universe which is another weird cross-over game. Haven't even bothered to pop it in my PS3.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I'm curious, but torn. I need to hear more real experiences of playing it before I'm sold.

I posted this on another GB thread, don't know if it will help. You should take a look through the Neogaf thread.

The consensus seems to be that it is a shallow sRPG made entirely for fanservice. If you're interested, though, Neogaf user perorist posted a good impromptu review:

The battle system is very similar to the endless frontier games and pxz's predecessor, namco x capcom with the simple real-time inputs and goal of breaking and juggling the opponent to maximize damage. If you've played either of those you'll know that the battle system is actually very fun.

The problem with this game is that the entire game relies on that battle system alone to carry it, and it only works for the first dozen or two dozen hours. Despite being a strategy rpg, it contains almost no meaningful srpg mechanics along the lines of weakness triangles, jobs, terrain mechanics, etc. Basically nothing that adds "strategy". It has map attacks, seishin-style abilities ala SRW, a few status elements and that's it. The maps could all be literal flat chessboards and the game wouldn't change.

The other problem is that in a 50-60 hour game, about 30 hours in you'll hit a "growth cap". You'll still level up and increase stats a little bit each time, but those stats are mostly meaningless in the first place. What I mean by growth cap is that you'll have unlocked every unit and move for each unit, so the feeling of character growth is gone. Moreover, by this point, because of the lack of game mechanics, each unit will essentially be indistinguishable from others. There's nothing unique between one unit and another other than their attack animations by endgame.

This is comparable, for example, to playing fire emblem or FFT and halfway through the game, all your units are suddenly one same job class, equipment and skills becomes meaningless, and your only attack option is the regular physical "attack" option, but you still have half the game left to play. For the latter part of the game you'll be doing the exact same thing with every unit - moving them up to the enemy and attacking with the same combo you've been using for the last 30 hours, no variation. It's made even worse by the terrible level design in later stages where maps can take an hour or two because they just throw hordes of high-hp enemies at you.

The story is also pretty bad and you'll get tired of the antagonists' dialogue/motivations fast, but a deep story isn't something you should expect from this type of game in the first place I suppose. Like I said, the game is pretty fun for the first couple dozen hours and the cross-series character convos are great. The sprite animation in this game is some of the best out there as well, as you would expect from banpresto. There are things to like here (like megaman X's last real appearance in a game LOL) and an incredible soundtrack, but just don't expect much from the gameplay side when all is said and done.

rebgav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

I've got that game. It's really interesting. Wish it played a bit better, but I really want to go back and finish it at some point despite the flaws it has.

As a pre-Neptunia Compile Heart game, is Cross Edge fucking terrible? I almost buy it every few months but I tend to think better of it because the word-of-mouth is toxic, the reviews were mostly really harsh and because I still haven't finished the first HyperNep game because it's bad.

Does Cross Edge take hours and hours to introduce all of the systems and then hours and hours of grinding to get the full roster of characters? And is the gameplay just bad besides all that?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rebgav said:

@hailinel said:

@demoskinos said:

As a pre-Neptunia Compile Heart game, is Cross Edge fucking terrible? I almost buy it every few months but I tend to think better of it because the word-of-mouth is toxic, the reviews were mostly really harsh and because I still haven't finished the first HyperNep game because it's bad.

Does Cross Edge take hours and hours to introduce all of the systems and then hours and hours of grinding to get the full roster of characters? And is the gameplay just bad besides all that?

Having not played the Neptunia games, I can't really say how good Cross Edge is in comparison. It's also been several years since I've played it, so I can't really remember how grindy it was, though it does have multiple difficulty levels that affect that. I do recall that characters did join at a fairly even clip, all things considered, but I wasn't going to judge that part too much since they gave Morrigan to you right off the bat. :P

Though, regardless of how long it's been since I played, I do think it's safe to say that if the systems in Neptunia drove you mad, you probably won't like Cross Edge.

ESREVER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#13  Edited By ESREVER

I will support anything with Kite and Blackrose. This game is the reason why I got a 3ds to begin with. SO HYPED.

Avatar image for killroycantkill
    killroycantkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#14  Edited By killroycantkill

I want to, but I'm just so bad at anything grid-based that isn't Disgaea.

Avatar image for superwristbands
    SuperWristBands

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SuperWristBands

I pre-ordered it after playing the demo. I wasn't too into it before (just generally ignoring it) but the fan service grabbed me. I'm pretty excited about some of the characters in that game, especially the Xenosaga ones.

@rebgav:Cross Edge is pretty bad. I don't remember having to grind because I played it years ago. I do remember the game play being not good at all.

@demoskinos said:

@hailinel: Yeah its an okay game. I've also got Trinity Universe which is another weird cross-over game. Haven't even bothered to pop it in my PS3.

Trinity Universe is considerably better than Cross Edge but it's still not all that hot. It's got my biggest pet peeve of RPGs which is that it has two protagonists who, of course, have the same gameplay and their own perspective on the story but you are required to go through both to get the True Ending.

morkaithewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I wanted to but the last couple times I've checked Amazon it says it's unavailable. T_T

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By musubi

@superwristbands: *shrug* I dunno I enjoyed what I played of it. The battle system they had of linking characters moves in chains to get bigger moves was sort of interesting.

SocietySays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The title sounds like some sort of Xbox emulation project.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captaintightpants: Yeah, I read those impressions earlier. I mean experiences from people I know(like around here). I don't really trust reviews from people I'm not familiar with.

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Not sure. I'll wait on some reviews before I make up my mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Not right away. Kinda bummed I'll probably miss out on the limited edition but whatevs. Probably going to buy it on the eShop anyway.

Also I heard the game was like 40 hours long, which really surprised me.

Joeyoe31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Joeyoe31

I haven't heard good things from reviewers/people who imported the game, but I enjoyed the demo so I'm probably going to get it.

mcbonjon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By mcbonjon

I've been anticipating this release for a while now. I did enjoy the demo, but wish it was a little longer. When I heard this was coming, this pushed me to buy a 3DS System.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Not after playing the demo I won't. Gameplay, at first, seemed boring and I could tolerate it if the fanservice was worth it for me, but I don't know most of the cast.

Same here. I was extremely underwhelmed by the combat system. Maybe I had misplaced my expectations, but before playing the demo I thought that the gameplay would be a mix of Final Fantasy Tactics/Fire Emble-styled Turn-Based Combat with the real-time 2D battles of the Tales of... series. Needless to say, it's more like a "chain these few buttons combinations a couple of times trying to maximize your damage", something I really don't like.

And, yeah, there's also the fact that I know very few characters of the cast. Sure, I could learn about them, but that would be the same as forcing me to care for some characters I've never heard of just to try and enjoy the game. I'll pass.

Spitznock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I most likely would if I owned the system, but I do not.
    Cross-overs are always fun, and I'm always happy to see them, so even if mechanically or by terms of narrative the game ends up being lackluster, it isn't a huge deal, as I suppose that isn't necessarily the goal.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Nay. I played the demo and while it was fun to see Kite and Black Rose the gameplay was unengaging.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#27  Edited By StarvingGamer

Nope, gonna get Muramasa Rebirth instead.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It could be one of the games that gets me to buy a 3DS.

nintendork666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nintendork666

Absolutely, mine's pre-ordered. This is the sort of title I'd be longing for had it been a Japan-only release, so I'm putting my money where my mouth is. Can't wait to pick it up tomorrow.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks too weird for me. I don't know any of the Namco or Sega characters really and the Capcom ones I can get everywhere else.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Eventually.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

@mento said:

the sadly untranslated Namco X Capcom.

I think it actually has a fan translation, so there's always that.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You guys expecting a Quick Look for this? It's not slated for the week, as of now. I imagine Jeff or Brad will take a look at it eventually out of curiosity.

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Is this that fucking weird thing I saw with .hack// characters in it.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

No. While the concept if awesome, not a big Strategy guy.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 BisonHero  Online

Having looked at the cast, it turns out I really don't have that much of an attachment to Capcom, Sega, and Namco Bandai characters, so I'm not very interested in getting it. I guess I like the inclusion of X and Zero from Mega Man X, but that's about it.

But I know you kids are into Street Fighter and Tales of Vesperia and the rap music and baggy pants, so go have your fun playing it.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nah.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By Flappy

I canceled my preorder on the 23rd. I was a big fan of SRT: Endless Frontier, but there was much more meat and potatoes in that game. PXZ, on the other hand, is 60 hours of fan-service that I'm not willing to shell out $40~ for. Besides, I'll have SMT IV to sink my teeth into in a couple of weeks.

wadtomaton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By wadtomaton

I will pick this up when I get a 3DS, which will be when LTTP 2 comes out.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#40  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I already have this game and I think it is pretty fun. One thing I will say is that I have no clue what's going on with the story...

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SLIGHTLY OLD THREAD BUMP!

I played through all the prologue chapters last night, and it seemed pretty great. It all depends whether you enjoyed the combat from SRT: Endless Frontier, since it's the same thing with a couple added systems to make it slightly deeper. The story so far is the kind of nonsense that you'd expect, but it's a fun nonsense that's not afraid to have the guy from Die Hard: Arcade show up to help you fight zombies.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll add I'm also having a blast. On Chapter 4 or something and there's just so much fan service and references I'm constantly grinning or chuckling. Battle system is super fun and it's awesome seeing all these characters interact. I can definitely see how it gets old well into the game, but for now I'm really liking it.

MithrilMojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I checked out the demo and even though I don't recognize most of the characters, I really enjoyed my time with it. It seems absolutely crazy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.