Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

I'm experiencing Rage after downloading DLC

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By darkjohnny47

After downloading The Scorchers DLC, I tried to load my previous save game and the game hard locked on me. So, I tried starting a new game, clearing the system cache (on xbox, btw), uninstalling and playing it off the disk, reinstalling it; nothing. Same thing happens every time I try to do anything, a black screen with the wingstick frozen on it. I tried using twitter to talk to id, but no response. This is super annoying and was looking forward to an excuse to play Rage again. Hopes shattered.

EddieBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EddieBear

I'm having exactly the same problem... very disappointing, but it's good to hear I'm not alone.

Doesn't let me load any saved games, and I'm left staring at the frozen wingstick loading screen. Then I need to unplug Xbox from power source to reset.

EddieBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EddieBear

@darkjohnny47: You made any progress yet?

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By darkjohnny47

nope. I'm trying to reinstall it now. I will post later if it gets fixed. The hard freeze thing is real weird too.

Glad to hear it's not just me too.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By fox01313

@darkjohnny47: Maybe instead of going through twitter, try the official website for id Software. They might know of a way of fixing it or will add it to the list of needed fixes.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By darkjohnny47

its definitely the dlc that's the problem. i deleted the dlc from my harddrive and I was able to load a game save.

I checked on the rage website and nobody had anything to say about this. I'll try id's site though.

EddieBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By EddieBear

@darkjohnny47:

Still nothing. I see others are having similar problems. An acknowledge from the company would at least be something.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By napalm

OH MY GOD. HOW DID I NOT KNOW THAT DLC WAS OUT FOR THIS GAME?! What weapons were added?! OH MY GOD, I NEED THIS NOW.

sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By sins_of_mosin

Yeah, I don't think anyone knew or cared that Rage had DLC come out for it. But, to have it break the damn game.. thats a stinker.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Snail

I wonder what sort of thing causes this type of issue that it actually gets through Q&A. Or maybe they didn't even Q&A test it, or ever even played it on non-debug platforms.

Weird.

gstaffBethesda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By gstaffBethesda

@EddieBear said:

@darkjohnny47:

Still nothing. I see others are having similar problems. An acknowledge from the company would at least be something.

We have folks at Bethesda and id looking at it. Are you guys hard freezing at a particular point in the game? At start up?

Something to note from our FAQ (although I'm not sure it would apply in this case)

http://support.bethsoft.com/?i=4595&l=en

Why does my game show the same slideshow for switching discs after progressing past the Start Screen from Launch?
    If you are not into a profile when starting RAGE, the system will not be able to execute the downloaded content until the profile is signed in. This process requires a launch restart which can take some time, so the loading slideshow is displayed during the process. This can be bypassed by signing-into your Xbox LIVE profile prior to starting RAGE.
    Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By awesomeusername

@gstaffBethesda: I don't believe you work for Bethesda.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By darkjohnny47

It freezes after a few seconds of trying to load after selecting to start a new game or load a save game. It freezes with a wingstick and a black screen. Thanks for checking this out.

Also, I posted on the Bethesda forums about this.

darkjohnny47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By darkjohnny47

This is from the Official Rage Forums:

"UPDATE 3: I think I have found a solution, this was posted on another thread on a different board. I just tried this for myself and it worked!

After hours of trying to get my game to start and begin enjoying RAGE again because of the game freezing after starting a new game at the end of the intro sequence, I believe I may have found a possible fix.

What I believe is happening is the game fails to 'initialize' the DLC somehow. Reason being is what I just tried and what just worked, and what finally allowed me to begin a new game on ultra nightmare.

Once again, just a POSSIBLE fix, it just so happened that this worked for me and it may actually be completely unrelated but felt I should post anyway.

Basically, what I did was restart my Xbox. Once I was restarted, I DID NOT sign in to Xbox Live. I already had the 18 MB update from before. Then after restarting, I launched the game from disc one (both disc one and two installed to HDD).

I pressed start and at that point had to sign in. I did, then when loading into the main menu, the game gave me a pop-up screen which said that the DLC would now be initialized. This had not shown up before. Once it was done, I was thrilled.

Began a new game on ultra nightmare, allowed the beginning intro to play, then voila! Enter first area inside the Ark chamber! PLAYABLE!

Hopefully this works and I didn't just happen to get lucky. To those affected, let me ask, did it ever show you that the DLC would be initialized? It never did for me until I launched the game without being signed in to XBL."

This works for me to be able to play the game, but you have to do this every time you want to play the game.

(thanks Nevander)

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By daiphyer

@awesomeusername said:

@gstaffBethesda: I don't believe you work for Bethesda.

Of course, his uncle works for Bethesda.

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By Christoffer

I didn't know about the DLC but I'm just at the end of my first playthrough of the original content, spooky.

I wonder if the PC version have the same problem. Might aswell see through the DLC while I'm playing it.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By shiftymagician

Just for any people curious, I played at least the Hagar Cave mission from the new DLC on the PC version of RAGE and it works perfectly so far. Bear in mind I started a fresh new game so unsure if loading an existing one causes a similar issue.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By BisonHero
    @ShiftyMagician

Just for any people curious, I played at least the Hagar Cave mission from the new DLC on the PC version of RAGE and it works perfectly so far. Bear in mind I started a fresh new game so unsure if loading an existing one causes a similar issue.

It's sounds like this issue is related 360 and how the new DLC interacts with Xbox Live's profile sign-in or something of that nature. But good to hear it works on PC.
    superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By superfriend

Is that really Matt Grandstaff from Bethesda? Well, I don´t know- seems like an un-Bethesda thing to do, you know creating an account on a different forum just to respond to one dude?!

I´m confused. Let´s run a little field test: Hey Matt, fix mah Skyrim Dragonborn framerate on 360! Yeah, guess he won´t be coming back after that one.

BTW: That Rage DLC sounds pretty cool. Nailguns are a fan favorite. The problems sound fucked though.

gstaffBethesda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By gstaffBethesda

@Superfriend said:

Is that really Matt Grandstaff from Bethesda? Well, I don´t know- seems like an un-Bethesda thing to do, you know creating an account on a different forum just to respond to one dude?!

I´m confused. Let´s run a little field test: Hey Matt, fix mah Skyrim Dragonborn framerate on 360! Yeah, guess he won´t be coming back after that one.

BTW: That Rage DLC sounds pretty cool. Nailguns are a fan favorite. The problems sound fucked though.

You might want to try deleting the Dragonborn content and doing a cache clear. That tends to help.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By awesomeusername

@gstaffBethesda said:

@Superfriend said:

You might want to try deleting the Dragonborn content and doing a cache clear. That tends to help.

Oh ho ho. Sounds like a dare!

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By superfriend

Challenge accepted! :P

Glad the guys in this thread seem to have found a workaround for the Rage DLC.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.