Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rage

Game » consists of 18 releases. Released Oct 04, 2011

id Software's Rage combines first-person shooting, vehicular action, and "open but directed" exploration to tell the story of Earth's wretched civilization after a cataclysmic meteor strike. Militaristic authority figures, freedom-fighting rebels, criminal raiders, and twisted mutants battle each other for control of the barren wasteland Earth has become.

Will you buy any future id software games on the PC?

• 68 results
    AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 13

#1  Edited By AV_Gamer

It's clear now that Rage for the PC was really an after thought.

They didn't even properly test it before release, because they simply didn't care.

The console market was what they were aiming for.

And as anyone whose been paying attention knows, John Carmack admitted that PC gaming no longer matters compared to console gaming.

There is still talk of Doom 4 among other games being developed.

Will PC gamers here still give the developers support, or did this PC debacle cause enough Rage, that id software no longer carries the image of PC gaming excellence it once had?

Antikythera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Antikythera

Sure will! I just hope they release a patch earlier next time. I am enjoying the hell out of RAGE since the patch came out.

SLUSHiNaToR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By SLUSHiNaToR

Totally. Its an awesome game. I don't care which platform it was designed for as long as its good. And Rage is good. I don't see what the problem is.
    ericdrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By ericdrum

Yep, every single one. I love id's games. I love RAGE. Bring on Doom 4.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By MikkaQ

Sure, Rage is pretty good.

tingham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6  Edited By tingham

Rage is a fantastic game, PC gamers know that driver issues happen constantly and it is a fact of gaming-life under Windows. Imagine that you're in charge of a project the scope of Rage; then imagine that you're an intellectual giant. How do you respond to allegations like the one above (not caring about quality, not testing) when you know you put someone on your team in charge of those things?

Update your drivers and play the game, I guarantee you'll enjoy it; and that's all that really matters at the end of the day. While I'm playing Rage I keep finding myself thinking, "Imagine what someone could do with this engine to make an RPG?"

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By gamb1t

"On August 1, 2008, John Carmack, the co-founder and technical director of id Software said that Doom 4 will look three times better than Rage does, as it runs at 30 frames per second, on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, rather than 60 that Rage targets. In Windows, Doom 4 will run at 60 frames per second with state-of-the-art hardware."

pc baby its the only way! the ID WAY!

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By AlexW00d

Rage doesn't look like my cup of tea, that is why I've not bought it, not because it looks pretty shit graphically. Whether or not I buy their next game depends on whether or not it looks like a game I'd enjoy.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By toowalrus

My buddies at work have nothing but good things to say about Rage on the PC- and if I had a PC that could handle it, I'd definitly buy it there. Maybe by the time Doom 4 comes out in twenty-oh-never, I'll have bought a new computer.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By MrKlorox

Probably not. Id hasn't made a game worth buying on ANY platform since Quake 2. Some could argue about Quake 3, but it just wasn't my style of multiplayer, and it certainly wasn't a Quake game. Doom 3 was just terrible. And even though I haven't played Rage yet, it doesn't seem like it would be the type of game I enjoy, regardless of how much I usually enjoy open world games.

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SomeJerk

I'm the only one thinking there won't be any future id soft games. Part of me hopes it stays just a thought, and that they shape up.

Also get Romero back for making the game part of it rather than Willitz.

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By captain_clayman

if it's good then yeah.

Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Sticky_Pennies

I'm never going to pre-order any future id games on the PC. RAGE was a nightmare, and it took nearly a full week to get to a point where it was playable. And even then, you can tell that it wasn't made for a PC.

The money I spent on RAGE would've been better spent on a Skyrim pre-order.

warxsnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By warxsnake

I buy all multiplatform games on PC, unless there's a huge problem with the PC version.

Rage ran just fine from the first hour I got it, so I never had a problem with it.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By AhmadMetallic

id is the past for me, no longer interested in their titles, and their titles are no longer interested in my platform of choice.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By dillonwerner
    @AhmadMetallic said:
    id is the past for me, no longer interested in their titles, and their titles are no longer interested in my platform of choice.
    Couldn't have said it better myself.
    DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DonPixel

Of course I bought this one will buy future ones, it's been fun. Nothing much to add other than I agree with Brad's review it's a nice eye candy ride.

RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By RsistncE

Nope.jpeg

In all seriousness though my faith in them is zero right now considering the state that they released Rage in and then how they responded to the problems people were having. If they release a game that I find out is great and runs perfectly on the PC, then I'll buy it, but in no way will I preorder or buy day one.

Jackel2072

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jackel2072

Yes for sure! Rage is... ok. not my favorite id game, but im really looking forward to seeing what else id tech 5 can do. i see good things for DOOM 4

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DeathTrap

I think I'll skip buying any of their games near release. I'll wait to see reviews, patches, etc...and probably still not buy them unless they're exceptionally good. My faith in id is severely damaged due to these Rage issues.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @AV_Gamer said:

It's clear now that Rage for the PC was really an after thought.

They didn't even properly test it before release, because they simply didn't care.

The console market was what they were aiming for.

And as anyone whose been paying attention knows, John Carmack admitted that PC gaming no longer matters compared to console gaming.

There is still talk of Doom 4 among other games being developed.

Will PC gamers here still give the developers support, or did this PC debacle cause enough Rage, that id software no longer carries the image of PC gaming excellence it once had?

So your all bitchy cause AMD had driver issues? Which I understand where quickly fixed. Also judging an entire studio over one game is petty. 
    AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AV_Gamer

@The_Laughing_Man:

1. It was a simple and relevant question.

2. Millions of PC gamers are still having problems playing the game, even after the Patch and special Drivers. Go to Steam Forums to see proof. Many are now demanding refunds from Steam Store.

3. Consumers have a right to complain when they spend their money, and get a broken product.

I don't suck the prick of big money developers. It's their job to produce a quality product. If they don't, then they should expect to lose fans and money.

Even with the game working right, from what I've seen so far, it's just a more compact version of Borderlands.

Borderlands was much better.

Better graphics. Better art design. Better gameplay.

NaCl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By NaCl

You know what really pisses me off?

The reaction of PC gamers to the glitches.

They have been rock solid throughout their ENTIRE history when it came to game stability. The one time it didn't turn out right, and it's not even their fucking fault, people burn them at the stake.

They gave an explanation, but no one is listening, instead people keep insisting that they are dodging responsibility. But why should they take responsibility when it's not their fault?!?

I believe that these haters are really more pissed about id not being a pure PC house anymore than about the glitches. The glitches are just ammo for them.

Keep it up numbskulls. There are already very few reasons to develop at all for the PC - it's platform with higher piracy rates, lower sales than competing console platforms, as well as lower "reliability" due to the crazy variety in hardware and their supporting drivers; and as we have seen, if there are any fuck ups on part of the hardware vendors in their driver support, you take the blame.

I recommend id just do console software from now on. It's easier to push the bleeding edge in engine tech when you don't have half a dozen layers of buggy software between you and the hardware, draining performance and making things "difficult" in general. It's really where the money is anyway, PC development is just "inefficient" when it comes to the effort/reward ratio.

NaCl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NaCl

@AV_Gamer: Problem is you folks are complaining to the wrong people.

Rage runs on top of the drivers. If the drivers don't work right what do you want id to do?

All they can do is send an email to ATi and hope they get off their asses and fix it.

IMO they should just say "fuck it" to PC development. Shitty "developer support" and if anything at all goes wrong you get your name smeared to shit by PC fanatics hoping to defend the supposed superiority of their platform, like it's their religion or something, even when it's not your fault and there is nothing you can do about it.

niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By niamahai

I am just going to buy console versions of everything and be ignorant. 

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @rebgav said:

@AV_Gamer said:

So why not go play Borderlands?

For the record, "millions" of PC gamers are horrendous douche-holes and many of that set spend a good amount of time whining on the steam forums. I'm sure that Rage ignited their furor and prompted hundreds of angry threads and demands for refunds, so did Portal 2.

Now that I notice it..the only people bitching about the game are the PC users and its about the glitches....
    Laksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Laksa

How is this game an "eye candy ride" when nearly everything is low res?  Some games do look very nice on consoles, rage isnt one of those games.
    On a nicer note, the latest patch did fix the texture pop in issue for me,and judging by most forum posts, for a lot of other ati users as well.
    But the game isnt really that fantastic,it feels just like borderlands. The 4 stars that brad gave this game is extremely generous.

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DonPixel

@AV_Gamer said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

2. Millions of PC gamers are still having problems playing the game, even after the Patch and special Drivers. Go to Steam Forums to see proof. Many are now demanding refunds from Steam Store.

As a lifelong PC gamer I take this statement with a grain of salt, Sometimes I think PC gamers are more focus on whining than actually playing games.

@Laksa said:

How is this game an "eye candy ride" when nearly everything is low res? Some games do look very nice on consoles, rage isnt one of those games. On a nicer note, the latest patch did fix the texture pop in issue for me,and judging by most forum posts, for a lot of other ati users as well. But the game isnt really that fantastic,it feels just like borderlands. The 4 stars that brad gave this game is extremely generous.

I'm playing it on the PC looks quite good with everything on at 1080p, not a masterpiece but isn't horrible.

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#29  Edited By beargirl1

sure. i would have rage on pc if i had a good setup 

jayjonesjunior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jayjonesjunior

@RsistncE said:

Nope.jpeg

In all seriousness though my faith in them is zero right now considering the state that they released Rage in and then how they responded to the problems people were having. If they release a game that I find out is great and runs perfectly on the PC, then I'll buy it, but in no way will I preorder or buy day one.

Have you played Black Ops on PC at launch day or any other day after launch?

Sometimes GB makes me cry, sometimes it makes me laugh, right now, i'm doing both.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By MikkaQ

@AV_Gamer said:

Somehow I doubt they've sold millions of copies of the PC version, or of any version. I'm pretty sure a few vocal people are just whining about it incessantly, I haven't had so much as a hitch in that game for the last week.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@AV_Gamer said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

3. Consumers have a right to complain when they spend their money, and get a broken product.

I don't suck the prick of big money developers. It's their job to produce a quality product. If they don't, then they should expect to lose fans and money.

Even with the game working right, from what I've seen so far, it's just a more compact version of Borderlands.

You have an ATI card. I can tell. Cry some more.

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @SeriouslyNow said:

@AV_Gamer said:

@The_Laughing_Man:

You have an ATI card. I can tell. Cry some more.

PC user on PC user  violence. WHEN WILL IT END! 
    RsistncE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By RsistncE

@jayjonesjunior said:

@RsistncE said:

Nope.jpeg

Have you played Black Ops on PC at launch day or any other day after launch?

Sometimes GB makes me cry, sometimes it makes me laugh, right now, i'm doing both.

And who says that I don't feel the same way about those game studios? Also, if you had actually bothered to read some of Carmack's comments after the problems came up, you'd probably understand where I was coming from. Unfortunately you didn't. Sometimes GB makes me cry, sometimes it makes me laugh, right now, I'm doing both.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#35  Edited By BeachThunder

Commander Keen 7, make it happen!

akzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By akzo

I have a good gaming rig I would say. 4gig Ram, Nvidia 560 ti and a three year old dual core processor (don't know the exact specs, but it was a high end chip at the time). Updated the drivers as requested and this game still brought my system to it's knees. I lowered the AA to x4 and it's helped a little. First game where I think 8g ram would have made a difference, no other game has given me the slightest problems except Witcher 2, and that went away when I upgraded to the 560. Could my three year old CPU be a bottle-neck?

As for the game, the shooting is great and 60 fps makes a difference when the game is running smoothly. I hate Driving in PC game, and it's a necessity in this one. The story and missions are uninspired and repetative, about five hours in and only seen about three or four different enemy types.

Graphics are top notch, but other parts of the game are really lacking. I wouldn't recommend it unless you have a super computer. Don't know if I'll buy another id game on the PC but this one did not improve the chances.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Rattle618

I wish the world wasnt full of retards and their next pc game would sell 3 copies, but I know that wont happen.

AV_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By AV_Gamer

@akzo:

Your gaming rig isn't the problem. id software did a poor job porting the game to the PC. Because of this, the game isn't fully using the resources your PC can provide to run the game properly, this is especially true of the video card. Your PC isn't bottle-necking, the game does a horrible job using PC video cards fully, especially ATI cards. There are many fixes you can use to make the game run better.

But I'm assuming you already finished it. If not, then check out steam forums for help.

About the game... Like I said, it's just a stripped down, compact version of Borderlands.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By ikwal

Sure the game was broken beyond belief but that doesn't matter when the game isn't fun. So nope I sure wont preoder, and most likely not buy any of their games again.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#40  Edited By spazmaster666

So far Rage has run at a buttery smooth 60 fps, even at 2560x1440 with 4xAA and forced 8192-res textures with GPU transcoding enabled (and this is on a single GTX 570 as my other one is getting RMA'ed). Also it was clear from the onset that Rage would be more or less a dry run for ID Tech 5 and that Doom 4 was going to truly showcase what the engine was capable of.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SmilingPig

Most likely yes Doom 4.

I had 2 xbox 360 break on me, so I am not buying a 3rd one.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By swoxx

YEAH BOYCOTT!!!

wait...I am in the right thread, right?

Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#43  Edited By Lazyaza

I'm still very interested in seeing Doom 4 but I am also going to be very skeptical and very cautious about it given how Rage ended up.

CheapPoison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By CheapPoison

I won't.

But i had zero interest in Rage.

Mabye when their next game i might..

But i never been a big fan.

phrosnite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#45  Edited By phrosnite

FPS is not a genre I would pay full price anyway... Also I don't mind "games are designed for consoles in mind" any more. I understand. Go where the money is.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By 71Ranchero

Sure, why not.

I play video games, if a game is good and interests me I will play it. Im not so petty and feeble to get caught up in console wars, entitlement, or hate.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By ajamafalous
    @RsistncE said:

my faith in them is zero right now considering the state that they released Rage in and then how they responded to the problems people were having. If they release a game that I find out is great and runs perfectly on the PC, then I'll buy it, but in no way will I preorder or buy day one.

leftie68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By leftie68

Rage is a fast-paced FPS, geared towards people who...ya you guessed it, want a fast paced FPS. No leveling system, some crafting elements and questing, and I personally like the delivery of the game. Why the hell do people keep on comparing this game to Borderlands. Borderlands was a RPG/looting game FPS. Besides the setting, I find nothing similar AT ALL about these games. Borderlands appealed to my loot-whoring and RPG side and Rage appeals to my "man this shooting and driving feels fast responsive and FUN" side. Grow-up, and quit posting hate-driven forum topics just to dog a game that isn't what you want it to be. I can say the same things about a lot of games like..... Man Fallout 3 "sucks" because there isn't any vehicular combat the shooting sucks. Was that the point of Fallout 3?? No.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ProfessorEss

Maybe, maybe not, but it certainly wouldn't have anything to do with hanging my hat firmly on a single release.

But then again, maybe my opinion isn't really all that fair what with being a level-headed grown-up and all. 

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By TobbRobb

Rage is awesome? I don't really see how it was bad at all.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.