Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ray Casting

Concept »

Technique for detecting intersection of an object and a line in virtual space.

Page needs review

xilefian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I stumbled upon this page (and Wiki) from a Google search, I am an experienced game developer and ray-casting is a speciality of mine (it's a personal "Hello World" for me).

This Wiki page has a lot of content that assumed a particular form of ray-casting, additionally most of the games listed do not use ray-casting (Duke 3D, Road Rash, Heretic).

It's also very strange to describe ray-casting as "An advanced form of pseudo-3D sprite-scaling". Ray-casting is as much sprite-scaling as a fully 3D triangle raster engine would be, in fact what we'd consider "sprites" in the cases of Wolfenstein 3D, etc do not rely on ray-casting, they are a separate rendering step, so I assume the "sprite-scaling" describes the walls, which are indeed 1 dimensional scaled spans in the case of textured ray-casters (but not untextured, Hovertank 3D).

Ray-casting as a general "concept" is also utilised outside of rendering. If this is a Wiki about concepts then it should be generalised in this direction, with ray-caster renderers as a category within the Wikipage.

I will probably make changes to the page to reflect how it probably should be presented as a "concept" and remove the games on the list that are known to not use ray-casting or are not confirmed to use it.

The reason I want to make these corrections is because I stumbled on this page from a Google-search, so chances are others will be finding their way here when wishing to learn more yet are presented with content that can be considered incorrect with a few points.

captain_max707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, thanks for taking it upon yourself to fix it!

xilefian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xilefian

I've submitted the changes I've made. I would like others to review it as I did go rather technical/mathematical in some instances.

I removed the games that do not use ray casting or are unconfirmed - the one game that is unconfirmed is "Gun Buster", so if anyone can research this that would be great.

There are some additional things that could be added such as describing the state of PC/console architecture in the early to mid 90s that resulted in ray casting and why Doom-like raster engines took over (ray casting was never that efficient) and also why classic 90s consoles were not suitable for ray casting - an interesting point can be made about Wolfenstein 3D on the SNES as this port specifically does not use ray casting due to the SNES' CPU not being up to the CPU intensive algorithm (Wolf3D SNES uses a form of BSP and Doom-like raster graphics).

I neglected game history too. Hovertank 3D is the first game to use ray casting, with the engine evolving to Catacomb 3D, Wolfenstein 3D and then Rise of the Triad. People finding this article might find the game history particularly interesting. Ken's Labyrinth probably deserves a mention as part of the history too, in particular how early versions of Build engine still used ray casting until Carmack advised Silverman to switch to the Doom-like raster technique.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.