Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Red Faction: Armageddon

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Jun 07, 2011

Get your ass back to Mars in the fourth installment of the environmental destruction-focused Red Faction series. In Armageddon, players go back underground for the first time since the original Red Faction.

Red Faction: Armageddon Demo Hitting May 3

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

You’ll be able to get your first taste of Red Faction: Armageddon this coming May 4. Volition and THQhave confirmed that the game’s demo will be appearing on Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN on this day.

Despite the fact that Armageddon’s PC port is being developed in-house, this demo will not be making an appearance on the PC.  When asked if there were plans to release a PC demo,  Volition’s community dude J Goldberg replied with a somber  “unfortunately, no,” over Twitter.

Aliens are never a good sign. Unless you're the aliens.

== TEASER ==The demo will take place in an alien-infested sewer where you’ll be given access to the Magnet Gun and the Nano Forge, a tool that can repair what you’ve crippled with your magnet might.  

"For the first time players will assume the role of Darius Mason and fight their way through Martian sewers and an oncoming alien infestation," the official game's blog post reads. "Meanwhile, Darius must clear his name as the colonists have blamed him for unleashing the alien threat that has ravaged the underground cities of Mars."

Red Faction: Armageddon hits Xbox 360, PS3, and PC this June 2. 
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

You’ll be able to get your first taste of Red Faction: Armageddon this coming May 4. Volition and THQhave confirmed that the game’s demo will be appearing on Xbox Live Marketplace and PSN on this day.

Despite the fact that Armageddon’s PC port is being developed in-house, this demo will not be making an appearance on the PC.  When asked if there were plans to release a PC demo,  Volition’s community dude J Goldberg replied with a somber  “unfortunately, no,” over Twitter.

== TEASER ==The demo will take place in an alien-infested sewer where you’ll be given access to the Magnet Gun and the Nano Forge, a tool that can repair what you’ve crippled with your magnet might.  

"For the first time players will assume the role of Darius Mason and fight their way through Martian sewers and an oncoming alien infestation," the official game's blog post reads. "Meanwhile, Darius must clear his name as the colonists have blamed him for unleashing the alien threat that has ravaged the underground cities of Mars."

Red Faction: Armageddon hits Xbox 360, PS3, and PC this June 2. 
    goodlucktj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By goodlucktj

sweet

edit: YES!!-wait...everyone else already had it by now, huh...
    cuzintheboss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By cuzintheboss

too bad for ps3 owners.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#4  Edited By BeachThunder

Nuuuu, not again! :o

xMrSunshine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By xMrSunshine

As a PC gamer, I must say that this didn't surprise me one bit.

goodlucktj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By goodlucktj
    @cuzintheboss: too bad for everyone when exclusive demos come out. kind of like the mortal kombat demo on ps3 last month.

edit: i know you meant because of the whole 'psn is broken' thing. just saying.
    Magickeys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Magickeys

Developers always getting more retarded. And I'm being kind.

Rockanomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Rockanomics
    @BradNicholson said:
    " PC owners, however, are left out in the cold."
    Eh, what else is new. I'm kinda used to it at this point.   
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By crusader8463
    @xMrSunshine said:
    " As a PC gamer, I must say that this didn't surprise me one bit. "
    Me too. I have just become used to it at this point. The good thing about PC gaming demos though, is that when they screw us over like this there is still other means to demo the game available to us. I just wish they would release a real official demo so I wouldn't have to go through the pain of the alternate demo route.
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By phish09

I loved Guerrilla.  I can't wait to try this out.  Does anyone know if the demo is going to be single player or multiplayer?  RFG multiplayer was amongst the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game this gen.  Sledgematches ftw!

bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By bacongames

I was gonna say what else is new.  It's a new level of sad that as PC gamers we're officially used to being ignored in little ways like this.

Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

Smart move, those wily PC folk would probably just hack the demo and turn it into the full game!

ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By ManlyBeast
    @528seven said:
    " Smart move, those wily PC folk would probably just hack the demo and turn it into the full game! "
    fail troll.
    SlasherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SlasherMan
    @ManlyBeast:  Really? I think your sarcasm detector needs some fixing...

Lack of a PC demo is disappointing, but nevertheless, I enjoyed Guerrilla so much and the port was sufficiently well handled that I'll end up getting this anyway at some point.
    steevl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By steevl
    @phish09 said:
    " I loved Guerrilla.  I can't wait to try this out.  Does anyone know if the demo is going to be single player or multiplayer?  RFG multiplayer was amongst the most fun I've had in a multiplayer game this gen.  Sledgematches ftw! "
    While I do not know if the demo will have any multiplayer in it, you'll probably be sad to discover that the full game does not have the competitive multiplayer from the first game. They just have a cooperative mode where you fight waves of enemies.
    Avatar image for saturdaynightspecials
    SaturdayNightSpecials

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

@ManlyBeast said:
    " @528seven said:
    " Smart move, those wily PC folk would probably just hack the demo and turn it into the full game! "
    fail troll. "
    You're right, I wasn't being serious.

Nothing gets past you, does it?
    phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By phish09
    @steevl: Are you serious?  They are taking out the best part of the game? 

My excitement level for this game just went from like 90 to 60.  We'll see though, if they make the right improvements to the single player campaign it could still stand up on it's own, but shit...I already sold my Guerrilla in anticipation of this being my new 3rd person multiplayer go-to shooter.  At least you can find it for like $5 used now.
    RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#18  Edited By RIDEBIRD

Excellent, will have to pirate it then to make sure the port isn't utterly terrible. Guerrilla was utter shit from the start (on ATI cards), but was fixed after like a year or so. Performance was okay though. Saint's Row 2 is still absolutely fucking terrible, one of the worst ports this generation. I get more FPS in Crysis 2 on maximum than in Saint's Row 2 on medium, for example.

Still, they're supposed to have handled the port internally and with at least some love this time. I still don't trust that.
    Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

This is why when devs bitch about their PC sales and whine about how they deserve more money for their work so their just not going to work as hard, I want them to just go fuck themselves. If you are taking the time and effort to port it in house, your WASTING your time if you don't put out a demo. PC gamers especially need demos NOT ONLY to know that the port is any good, these days, or that the game is enjoyable (just like everyone else), but also to make sure the game runs decently on their system, so you don't end up buying GTA IV on PC and having it running at 640x480, lowest possible settings, and STILL getting lower frame rate than Metro 2033 with 24x Super Sampling, crazy amounts of tessellation, etc. at 1080.

You can't bitch about PC sales and say "it didn't do as well as we hoped" when your the fuckers digging the hole for yourself. With the state of ports to PC these days, unless you have 50 (or more likely, 60) bones to throw away on garbage, unplayable ports, pirating is almost the only option for trying a game. I don't care if you put out a demo that is just a building in the desert, with all weapons, and you get to blow it up. I just want to know that the turrets don't feel crazy weird, the game performs well, and doesn't hate my video card and decide to stop rendering the water in Liberty City.

Sorry to be the angry PC gamer, but we all know that if consoles got this kind of treatment, all the CoD babies would be, rightfully, just as pissy.

@crusader8463 said:
    " @xMrSunshine said:
    " As a PC gamer, I must say that this didn't surprise me one bit. "
    Me too. I have just become used to it at this point. The good thing about PC gaming demos though, is that when they screw us over like this there is still other means to demo the game available to us. I just wish they would release a real official demo so I wouldn't have to go through the pain of the alternate demo route. "
    lol, "alternate demo route" huh...? :p
    fastidious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By fastidious

Guess they don't have confidence in the PS3/PC version then.

craigbo180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By craigbo180
    @MordeaniisChaos:  Console gamers actually buy the games though.
    plapshapaul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By plapshapaul
    @craigbo180: Now that was just.... well, bitchy.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By crusader8463
    @MordeaniisChaos: Yup pirating. I will admit to it, and I don't see anything wrong with it in certain situations. My computer is on it's last legs, half the time games don't run on it any more or are glitchy as hell, and I don't have $50-$60 to throw away on a game that won't run on my system or has a ton of graphical problems. If a new game is out that I'm interested in I always go to steam to see if there is a demo for it so I can test it out to make sure it will actually run, and when there isn't one I will alt-tab to chrome and pop open piratebay.org and see if I can find it there. 

From there one of two things always happens:

• I will play it for an hour or two, and if it looks like it would be fun to keep playing, and it runs on my computer, I will alt-tab over to steam buy it, then alt tab back into the game and keep playing it until the real one is done downloading.
    • I will play it for an hour or two and if the game was not what I thought it would be, or has terrible glitching problems, then I will alt-F4 and delete it.

I don't see how that's any different then a console person borrowing a friends game for the weekend to see if they like it, or renting it.
    gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#24  Edited By gbrading

Well that's not cool. I'm not particularly surprised though. Like others have said, we've got used to the occasional-to-frequent second-class treatment.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#25  Edited By KaosAngel

I shall bet 10 bucks it won't be on PSN on May 3, any takers?

Battsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Battsey

So which date is it? The title says May 3rd and the post says 4th.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
    MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By MordeaniisChaos
    @crusader8463: Yeah, I agree. If I can, I'll borrow the game, or use a friend's steam to try it out if they own it, but with newer titles, it's hard to try a game. It's why I think that PC devs need to figure something out. I wouldn't even mind waiting till release for them to just cut out most of the content, give me a tiny part of the game, let me run that, and if it works, I can get it. I don't need some specially crafted demo with demo walls and demo text and demo videos. I want to try the game out, nothing more. Maybe they should let you play a game for like 30 minutes on Steam to decide if you're going to buy it or not.
    crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By crusader8463
    @MordeaniisChaos: Ya. I have been saying for ages that the best way to do Demos for PC gaming now a days is to just let anyone download every game for free on Steam, but put something like a 10-15 min usage cap on it. After that 10-15 min times out it says thanks for playing and closes. 

Of course each dev can choose to opt in/out of it and set their own play time, but it would be a much nicer way to do things. Here's hoping Gabe frequents this site and happens to read these comments.
    MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#29  Edited By MeatSim

Sure I will download that.

Avatar image for chilipeppersman
    chilipeppersman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By chilipeppersman

no pc demo? weaksauce

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.