Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 4

Game » consists of 39 releases. Released Jan 11, 2005

Special agent Leon S. Kennedy travels to rural Spain to rescue the U.S. President's kidnapped daughter in Resident Evil's sixth canonical installment. It is notable for a lengthy development cycle which involved a complete overhaul of the series' established gameplay mechanics.

Should I buy the HD version, community?

Jamakan_Inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jamakan_Inc

Hey guys, so I'm seriously considering getting this. I don't own any other copies of it (well, technically my girlfriend has the Wii version, which is good,) but I'd rather play it with a 360 controller. Is the HD port really that bad? Does it handle like RE5 on the 360? What say you, community? WHAT SAY YOU? Also, thanks in advance for your time, I know these arent exactly the most interesting threads.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By DarthOrange

I just finished the PS3 version this morning and honestly it is fine, some people just like to bitch about graphics, but the gameplay is fine. It is a little different from RE5 in terms of handling, but over all it's basically the same thing. Biggest difference is that you aim with the left stick instead of the right stick (at least on the PS3 version). I say go for it, your in for a real treat if you haven't played it before, and even if you have, it still holds up well.

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Hector

@DarthOrange said:

I just finished the PS3 version this morning and honestly it is fine, some people just like to bitch about graphics, but the gameplay is fine. It is a little different from RE5 in terms of handling, but over all it's basically the same thing. Biggest difference is that you aim with the left stick instead of the right stick (at least on the PS3 version). I say go for it, your in for a real treat if you haven't played it before, and even if you have, it still holds up well.

Is Assignment Ada included?

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Hector said:

@DarthOrange said:

I believe so
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By spazmaster666

@DarthOrange said:

That's the main reason why I didn't like Resident Evil 4. I hate games that force you to use the left stick for aiming. I don't understand why in an HD remake they couldn't allow you to aim with the right stick and move with the left stick. I mean they obviously adapted the controls for the Wii version, so why not the 360/PS3 version?

CounterShock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CounterShock

You should just play the Wii version if it's available to you. The HD versions are fine, there is a weird thing with the Ganados voices sounding like they're coming out of a Wii remote. Besides that, the Wii remote is the best way to control that game.

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@spazmaster666 said:

@DarthOrange said:

That's the main reason why I didn't like Resident Evil 4. I hate games that force you to use the left stick for aiming. I don't understand why in an HD remake they couldn't allow you to aim with the right stick and move with the left stick. I mean they obviously adapted the controls for the Wii version, so why not the 360/PS3 version?

Because it's a lazy and quick cash grab

Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By captain_clayman

@spazmaster666 said:

@DarthOrange said:

whaaaat i thought there was a way to change the options to use the right stick? i swear that's what they said on the quicklook.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Hizang

The PSN/XBLA version is probbaly the best version of that game.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By spazmaster666

@captain_clayman said:

whaaaat i thought there was a way to change the options to use the right stick? i swear that's what they said on the quicklook.

You can remap the aim and shoot buttons to the bumpers but not remap the actual aiming to the right stick. Baffling yes, but true.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By DarthOrange

@Hector said:

@DarthOrange said:

Yes it is.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I actually just bought the 360 version a few days ago. It's great.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DarthOrange
    MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By MrKlorox

Every version is fucked up in the control department, so it really doesn't matter.

RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By RE_Player1

I would say it's worth it. I got the PS3 version for $10, Playstation Plus discount the first week it was out, and had a blast even though I blasted my way through because I played it to death on Gamecube. For someone playing it for the first time I'm say $20 is a good price and I believe it comes with 1000 achievement points because it's technically in the Games on Demand section.

BlatantNinja23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BlatantNinja23

I have it on 360 and its fine... but i also actually preferred playing the wii version.

Avatar image for willthemagicasian
    WilltheMagicAsian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@msavo: Well it did have a retail release in Japan and Europe, just not in the North America.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18  Edited By dichemstys

I'm playing it for the first time via the HD version, it's so good.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By WalkerTR77

@WilltheMagicAsian: No retail release in the UK though.

I've been wanting to buy it for a while. I had 640 points on my account, thought I would buy 1200 and get it. Turns out that would put me 40 points short. Will probably just buy it with £15 of real money at some point rather than with Brad Bucks.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#20  Edited By JasonR86

@Jamakan_Inc:

I actually own this game three different ways (Gamecube, Wii, and now 360). It's probably my second favorite version behind the Wii version (primarily due to the Wii's controls). It's certainly the best looking version. It looks like an upscaled Gamecube game. That's not necessarily a bad thing. But it doesn't look like a modern 360 game. The controls are fine. It's similar to the Gamecube version (though that doesn't necessarily help you since you didn't play that game). It's similar to RE 5 but there's no strafing. It controls fine. It's a little clunky but all versions of this game are clunky. If you could handle the movement controls on the Wii then you'll be able to handle the movement controls on the 360. They are identical. Only the aiming controls are different (on the 360 you hold a button, stand in one spot, and aim with either the left or right stick).

EDIT:

I was wrong. You can't aim with the right stick. Again, this is just like the Gamecube version. Some people are ok with this, like me, others are not. I think it works just fine though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.