Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

Capcom: We're Never Going To Have Another RE5 Controversy

Darkpen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Darkpen

"Since the RE5 controversy, we have become much more aware of how important it is that we are part of the asset creation process early on so that we are able to have a say in the end product," says Capcom senior PR manager Melody Pfeiffer.

"We are also designing a lot of our own assets from this side of the pond, so that we are able to make strategic pieces of content that make sense for our market," she says.

"We are working really closely with our producers in Japan to construct these materials for the West and they are open more then ever to hearing our thoughts and ideas for assets."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/30059/Capcom_Were_Never_Going_To_Have_Another_RE5_Controversy.php     

I think that, in a lot of ways, the controversy around RE5 has made Capcom that much stronger as a global brand and company. Baby steps, my friends, baby steps.
    Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Lemoncookie01

Which controversy?the one where people thought it was racist or when people found it it wasn't as good as RE4?

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By DrDarkStryfe
    @Lemoncookie01 said:
    " Which controversy?the one where people thought it was racist or when people found it it wasn't as good as RE4? "
    Nope, the one where people were up in arms about a white protagonist shooting blacks in Africa.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By napalm
    @DrDarkStryfe said:
    " @Lemoncookie01 said:
    " Which controversy?the one where people thought it was racist or when people found it it wasn't as good as RE4? "
    Nope, the one where people were up in arms about a white protagonist shooting blacks in Africa. "
    Racists!
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#5  Edited By Hailinel
    @DrDarkStryfe said:
    " @Lemoncookie01 said:
    Nope, the one where people were up in arms about a white protagonist shooting blacks in Africa. "
    I suppose this means that Resident Evil 6 will feature a black protagonist shooting Afrikaners.
    HypoXenophobia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HypoXenophobia

Did anyone make much of a racial outcry towards Farcry 2? While I didn't play RE5, Farcry 2 was set in Africa and had a lot of shooting towards blacks. I would say runner up in deaths was the animals that ran into my car.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HandsomeDead

They've basically become more aware that black people will racially charge anything. Ban GTA IV because it showed an Eastern European killing Americans. That's racist. I could go on.

Fribain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Fribain

There is a vast majority of black people in Africa. The game takes place in Africa. 
    What can we learn from this? Accusing a company of racism because a main character (who has been with the series from the beginning) who happens to be white is killing black guys in Africa makes one look like a dumbass.
    Let's make a game where a black guy is killing a lot of white people in the U.S. and see how many people scream "RACISM". I can tell you now that it won't be many.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By apathylad

I suppose this means that Street Fighter will be the only Capcom franchise with racial stereotypes. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

Fucking dumbest, most unnecessary, unfounded and childish controversy in years.

Skullo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Skullo
    @ajamafalous said:
    " Fucking dumbest, most unnecessary, unfounded and childish controversy in years. "
    Yes.
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By apathylad
    @Fribain said:
    "  Let's make a game where a black guy is killing a lot of white people in the U.S. and see how many people scream "RACISM". I can tell you now that it won't be many. "
    Does San Andreas count? White cops, right?
    Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#13  Edited By Hailinel
    @ajamafalous said:
    " Fucking dumbest, most unnecessary, unfounded and childish controversy in years. "
    I don't know.  The British politician going apeshit over Medal of Honor is pretty high up there.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By CL60

The controversy was the most childish thing ever. Oh no! Killing black zombies in Africa! RACIST!

Fribain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Fribain
    @Apathylad said:
    " @Fribain said:
    "  Let's make a game where a black guy is killing a lot of white people in the U.S. and see how many people scream "RACISM". I can tell you now that it won't be many. "
    Does San Andreas count? White cops, right? "
    Naw dawg. Itz cuz they white. Itz ok to kill lots of white peeples lolz.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

Wasn't the controversy more like one guy in a newspaper saying it's racist and everyone else joking about how it's racist and others yelling about how it's not? 

That was my memory.

Fribain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Fribain
    @SethPhotopoulos said:

" Wasn't the controversy more like one guy in a newspaper saying it's racist and everyone else joking about how it's racist and others yelling about how it's not?  That was my memory. "

I remember a fair number of game websites had reviews where racism was brought up and they were being fairly serious about it.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Fribain said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " Wasn't the controversy more like one guy in a newspaper saying it's racist and everyone else joking about how it's racist and others yelling about how it's not?  That was my memory. "
    I remember a fair number of game websites had reviews where racism was brought up. "
    That was mainly because they thought  Sheva was created to combat the racist claims no?
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By apathylad
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    N'Gai Croal and Adam Sessler were pretty critical of Resident Evil 5 because of the imagery. 

Fribain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Fribain
    @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @Fribain said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    I remember a fair number of game websites had reviews where racism was brought up. "
    That was mainly because they thought  Sheva was created to combat the racist claims no? "
    I don't remember reading that. The one review that sticks out in my mind was gamespy I think? The review brought up the whole "killing black people" thing and the community went berserk. Though it's possible it was the joking you mentioned. Also there were other articles scattered around non-gaming websites that complained about it. But this was like 2 years ago, I can't remember where I found them
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster

It bothers me that other black people get bent out of shape about this. When I played RE5, I wasn't concerned about the color of the enemy; survival was the only thing that ran through my mind. It's not like the protagonist is running around, calling his enemies all sorts of racial slurs. The same people who are offended turn around and make fun of other races; the double standard needs to be eliminated before humanity can progress.  

Instead of boycotting video games, people need to worry about bigger problems in the world.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By jakob187

Well, what would've been better?  Killing a bunch of white zombies in Africa?  I'm sure that it would've pissed off the NAACP far more if we populated an entire country of Africans with caucasians instead. 

Oh, wait, that's right - Africa is off limits territory to ever put it in a game as a location because African-Americans are seemingly so emotionally paper-thin and get offended by anything and everything, especially when there are no racist intents towards what is being said/done whatsoever.

T_T  

@Apathylad: I rarely agree with Sessler, but when he forms a reasonable argument, it's like listening to poetry.  That video...was definitely NOT one of those moments.  It was him giving a knee-jerk reaction to an initial trailer of a game that was set in Africa.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Fribain said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:

I remember a fair number of game websites had reviews where racism was brought up and they were being fairly serious about it. "
    It was a huge bullet point for the G4 review.  

This argument can go either way, really. There are fair points on both ends. Intention really isn't the issue, is the thing. We know Capcom didn't intend for this to be the reaction, and Capcom is willingly admitting that it was a design choice that, if even accidentally, flared up some sensitive content.  

Ultimately, I think having some vitriolic response to the whole situation-some scathing, sniping, "It's-not-a-controversy-or-racist-what-the-fuck" kind of reaction--is making this debacle a bigger deal than it need be. Not that anyone here is having that reaction. Just saying.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Fribain said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    " @Fribain said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    That was mainly because they thought  Sheva was created to combat the racist claims no? "
    I don't remember reading that. The one review that sticks out in my mind was gamespy I think? The review brought up the whole "killing black people" thing and the community went berserk. Though it's possible it was the joking you mentioned. Also there were other articles scattered around non-gaming websites that complained about it. But this was like 2 years ago, I can't remember where I found them "
    @Apathylad said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:
    N'Gai Croal and Adam Sessler were pretty critical of Resident Evil 5 because of the imagery. 

"
    I guess I didn't pay much attention the the controversy then. 
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By agentboolen

The biggest problem with RE5 was how they tried to piece in how RE4 fit in with the rest of the series!  RE4 felt like a new direction and didn't need to be part of that way to complicated Umbrella story line.  RE5 was a fun game to play with friends and I did not find it to be bad at all.  Sure the game wasn't as dark as RE4 was, but it still had a certain feel that I enjoyed with the environments. 

If RE6 used the RE4 and 5's gameplay and RE5's co-op and just stick to a more darker story I don't think Capcom would have to re think the RE series at this point.  Many just wanted RE5 to just be darker, Capcom don't blow this out of the water and over think it....  If you do it it will be 4 years till we get a new RE game.

George_Hukas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By George_Hukas
    @Apathylad said:

" @SethPhotopoulos said:

"
    Ugh.. the catalyst behind the RE5 "controversy" .. People need to get over themselves. I really stopped listening to N'Gai after that stupid shit.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @jakob187 said:

" Oh, wait, that's right - Africa is off limits territory to ever put it in a game as a location because African-Americans are seemingly so emotionally paper-thin and get offended by anything and everything, especially when there are no racist intents towards what is being said/done whatsoever. "

I do remember enough to say that it wasn't black people who fueled it.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jakob187
    @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @jakob187 said:

" Oh, wait, that's right - Africa is off limits territory to ever put it in a game as a location because African-Americans are seemingly so emotionally paper-thin and get offended by anything and everything, especially when there are no racist intents towards what is being said/done whatsoever. "

I do remember enough to say that it wasn't black people who fueled it. "

Hi.  I'm N'Gai Croal.  You were saying?
    Meanwhile, even though the original Black Looks blog saying that Resident Evil 5 was basically starting white kids out early to destroy and kill black people was taken down...GamePolitics still has the article up with a quote from the Black Looks article. 

This was a controversy that was started and fueled by African-Americans, then followed through with by the gaming media in order to point out either A. the idiocy of it or B. join in to get clicks on their website.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @jakob187 said:
    " @SethPhotopoulos said:

" @jakob187 said:

I do remember enough to say that it wasn't black people who fueled it. "

Meanwhile, even though the original Black Looks blog saying that Resident Evil 5 was basically starting white kids out early to destroy and kill black people was taken down...GamePolitics still has the article up with a quote from the Black Looks article.  This was a controversy that was started and fueled by African-Americans, then followed through with by the gaming media in order to point out either A. the idiocy of it or B. join in to get clicks on their website. "
    I know he started it but it wasn't most black people.  

It was small black groups not large numbers.
    tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By tmthomsen

In games, you can kill Caucasians in the West, you can kill Asians in Asia, but Blacks in Africa?

INSANITY

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By apathylad
    @jakob187 said:

@Apathylad: I rarely agree with Sessler, but when he forms a reasonable argument, it's like listening to poetry.  That video...was definitely NOT one of those moments.  It was him giving a knee-jerk reaction to an initial trailer of a game that was set in Africa. "

I like how he randomly managed to tie-in the film Black Hawk Down and Barack Obama to support his argument. Plus, how he implied that only racists disagree with him when he brought up those internet comments.  >_< 
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By BraveToaster
    @Apathylad said: 
    " Plus, how he implied that only racists disagree with them when he brought up those internet comments.  >_<  "
    Well, I guess I'm a racist black guy who hates blacks.  

Reminds me of the Black White Supremacist skit on The Chappelle Show.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By jakob187
    @SethPhotopoulos: Regardless, they FUELED the problem.  They didn't fan the flames.  That's what the gaming media did.  Instead, they came out and said "this is fucked up" by only putting it all in their own context.  Hell, there were groups that even started saying that the inclusion of Sheva was solely to try and cut back on the controversy!!! 

I understand the point you are making completely.  Multiple nationalities and races carried on the fanning portion of that controversy.  However, the initial fuel came from the African-American community, and it's incredibly sad to see a culture of people being constantly showcased by specific members of its community as counter-racist against so much and offended by so little. 

Now a company has decided that they have to change the way they operate because some people got up in arms over bullshit?  It's stupid!
    chw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By chw
    @cide:  Because racism doesn't exist anymore!  People who think otherwise just need to get over themselves!
    zepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By zepp
    @Hailinel said:
    " @DrDarkStryfe said:
    " @Lemoncookie01 said:
    I suppose this means that Resident Evil 6 will feature a black protagonist shooting Afrikaners. "
    No, not the Afrikaans! 
    Darkpen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Darkpen

I think that one thing that's kind of going over a lot of people's heads is that the controversy, the thing that N'Gai was objecting to, was the trailer, specifically the trailer, and its imagery. Not the game as a whole, just the trailer that initially sparked the controversy. That's it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.