Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Resident Evil 5

Game » consists of 38 releases. Released Mar 05, 2009

Resident Evil 5 follows series alum Chris Redfield as he journeys into West Africa with his new partner, Sheva Alomar, fighting Las Plagas-infested enemies called the Majini.

The dev's took the "racist" remarks too serious.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By TwoOneFive

i played the demo, and one of the first things i noticed was that the game takes place in Africa, of course, but only like half the people here are African, and the rest look like they're mexican or something. I mean, at most HALF look African. Its not racist man, these devs should have grown a pair and just said fuck you, this game takes place in Africa and there is a bunch of African zombies. Everytime i shoot one of these middle eastern indian mexican whatever zombies I'm just like, wow what the hell were you doing here?! The majority of these zombies look out of place and clearly put in there to please the critics. Its not racist at all, because we all know, in the last game we went on a murder spree of thousands of Spanish zombies and nobody cared. 

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

Jesus Christ, man. This could be of larger detriment to the game than they imagined. Survival Horror has always been edgy. This game has bowed to some retarded columnists.

I actually read one of their tyraids, and I noticed that they capitalized "Black" when referring to the people, but not "white". Who's the racist now? Bottom line, you shouldn't be censored for stuff like that. Bullshit.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TwoOneFive

yeah i mean, it seems like nothing, and i honestly wasn't even thinking about it. But I noticed these random people who clearly aren't from Africa, or at least the place in Africa where this game takes place, and I'm like wow, this poor guy came here and got turned into a zombie. 

Prime20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Prime20

Your in Africa, you shoot Africans big deal. I didnt see what the trouble was to begin with. Its sad to see someone bend over just because of some dickheads blogs. Where is the ling going to stop? What will be the next thign someone deems wrong that will get changed in a game.

That said if we were in Switzerland and you shot nothing but black people then the red flag of bullshit goes flying.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TwoOneFive

one of the guys who made the biggest deal was Adam Sessler, he started blabbing on about how it just didn't look politically correct. seems like a bunch of bleeding hearts made a big fuss, when nobody actually gave a shit. 

HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By HazBazz

Theres too many black dudes, its racist. They put a mixed race in, its not racist enough. What do you people want?!

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By c1337us
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TwoOneFive
    HazBazz said:
    "Theres too many black dudes, its racist. They put a mixed race in, its not racist enough. What do you people want?!"
    what the are you talking about? I said it was NEVER racist to begin with, and now it just looks out of place. At no point did I claim anything was, or isn't racist. And nobody here wants whatever you assume they do. 

c1337us said:
    "

My mum says theres a lot of black people in Africa. But I am lead to believe there are actually people of a variety of other appearances in Africa too so I guess its not that unusual. In the end they all look the same when you put a bullet in their zombie (or whatever they are) heads so whatever.

"
    I'm am well aware of the many different races in Africa, but the game takes place in what appears to be Somalia-like, its straight up Africans there. All I'm saying is, it just looked a little unusual when I first saw these random mexican looking dudes in there. A game takes place in Africa, then the people should look african. Just like in RE4 they definitely looked Spanish, and nobody complained and said it was racist. I didn't want to start a "RE4 is racist or not" thread, just that what they ended up doing just looks unusual. 
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    HazBazz said:
    "Theres too many black dudes, its racist. They put a mixed race in, its not racist enough. What do you people want?!"

Nobody wants Resident Evil 5 to be racist. But just because the zombies are black doesn't mean it's racist. I mean... it just don't make any sense! Does that mean whenever you kill a black person in a video game, it's a hate crime against black people? I've killed tons of white people, middle eastern people, Japanese people, and SCORES of Germans in video games, and nobody cares about them. Where's their Rev. Jackson?
    Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Absurd

I actually never noticed until it was pointed out.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TwoOneFive
    AndrewGaspar said:
    "HazBazz said:

Nobody wants Resident Evil 5 to be racist. But just because the zombies are black doesn't mean it's racist. I mean... it just don't make any sense! Does that mean whenever you kill a black person in a video game, it's a hate crime against black people? I've killed tons of white people, middle eastern people, Japanese people, and SCORES of Germans in video games, and nobody cares about them. Where's their Rev. Jackson?"
    I think that only when you place a dark brown texture on a character model is when it can be considered racist! lol
    I honestly believe that hadn't anyone claimed it to be racist, I would have NEVER thought of it to be. 
    With this logic, the movie Black Hawk Down was racist. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

So black people aren't good enough for a zombie game, is that it?! Fucking racists.

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Bellum said:
    "So black people aren't good enough for a zombie game, is that it?! Fucking racists."
    LOL if you're talking about the dev's, WTF if you're talking about me. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

The latter doesn't make much sense, does it? :P

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By jakob187
    Prime20 said:
    "You're in Africa, you shoot Africans. Big deal."
    Besides correcting the grammar of that quote, I think that sums up a ton of what I think about this as well.

Black people got shot in tons of games, especially in high-profile games like Far Cry 2 and San Andreas.  However, no one made a big fucking stink over those, now did they?

DID THEY?  It's fucking stupid.  Meanwhile, people will totally get behind something like Black College Football and put it out.  Well, you know what?  There aren't enough Mexicans, Asians, causcasians, and Native Americans in those.

And before you try to get on about MY capitalization of races...I capitalize any race that is mentioning a specific country...and that's it.
    AndrewGaspar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By AndrewGaspar
    c1337us said:
    "

My mum says theres a lot of black people in Africa. But I am lead to believe there are actually people of a variety of other appearances in Africa too so I guess its not that unusual. In the end they all look the same when you put a bullet in their zombie (or whatever they are) heads so whatever.

"
    Africa is not like America or Europe where Caucasians are the majority by only a slim percentage. Immigration to African nations is far lower than immigration to other parts of the world, mostly because of the poverty and such. Thus, most of the people that live in Africa are black. South Africa and Egypt may be the exceptions, and even in South Africa, the non-black population is dwindling. 99% of the people in Africa are black. That's just how it is and that's how the game should represent it.
    William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By William

I blame the aussies.

OneEyedNinja7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By OneEyedNinja7

I don't think it's THAT much of an issue. There ARE some cases of places in Africa where blacks don't have a huge majority. Take Sudan for example. Blacks take up 52% of the population while Arabs take up a surprising 39%.

I agree that people did make a big deal because of the whole "shooting Africans in Africa" bit but I don't see why shootin' dudes "who look mexican" or have a lighter skin tone is really such a problem. Capcom can't appease everybody's sensitivity to race. Honestly, the main thing I'm worried about from this game is how much it'll actually be different from RE4.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Demyx

I agree that this whole issue is pretty stupid.
    But I don't see why the skin color of the zombies really matter.

William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By William

Who cares?

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead
    William said:
    "Who cares?"
    Plenty of people as it's a serious issue.
    TEAMHOLT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By TEAMHOLT

It's just a company trying to avoid a potential PR nightmare. It's easy to say they should ignore negative press and make most of the characters African, but it's not your job to deal with the mess if the media decides to scapegoat the game. There's no good reason to take any risks if it doesn't affect gameplay.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
    TEAMHOLT said:
    "It's just a company trying to avoid a potential PR nightmare. It's easy to say they should ignore negative press and make most of the characters African, but it's not your job to deal with the mess if the media decides to scapegoat the game. There's no good reason to take any risks if it doesn't affect gameplay."
    Fuck the media!!!  No offense to the GB doods or anything, but FUCK THE MEDIA!!!  It doesn't matter if they crucify the game for it or whatever.  The fact of the matter is that it's inaccurate strictly because they want to be politically correct and sensitive.

You know what?  I think the RE games inaccurately and unfairly portray large conglomerate organizations as being nothing but psychopathic, murderous pigs with no sense for human life.  Therefore, I think they need to change Umbrella to something different.  Oh, and RE4 had a cult.  I think that is insensitive to religious people, as it paints religion as being a brainwashing syndrome, no matter what type of religion it is.  I think RE3 treated its female leads in a derogatory and crude manner.  I want that changed.

I mean, fuck...if anything, the RE games have ALWAYS been politically incorrect.  WHO THE FUCK CARES WHAT THE MEDIA THINKS?!  This is the same media that gives Grand Theft Auto IV a Game of the Year award!!!  THE GAME IS NAMED AFTER A FUCKING FELONY AND IT INVOLVES GANG WARS!!!  I mean, why doesn't Time just put a big advertisement up saying "hey, look at this cartoon-looking boxart?  You like candy kids?"?!?!?

The media aren't buying the games...WE ARE!  Sure, this doesn't affect the gameplay at all...but it does affect the atmosphere and the world that has been created for the game.  So fuck that shit.  They need to grow a set and stop being pussies.
    trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#25  Edited By trulyalive
    HazBazz said:
    If this game took place in the Antarctic, I'd expect there to be inuits but that doesn't mean I'm prejudice towards eskimo's. (well, they might say I am for merely using the term eskimo, but fuck 'em...I mean...oshi~)

Point is, consistency goes a long way.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pause422

Yeah I really wish Capcom would of just said "If you think we're being racist here, you're a fucking idiot, so go end your life. We're keeping it the way it is", I mean the quality of the game isn't changing because of this or anything, but yeah, this shit got blown way out of proportion since the beginning and is pretty ridiculous.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By trulyalive
    pause422 said:
    "Yeah I really wish Capcom would of just said "If you think we're being racist here, you're a fucking idiot, so go end your life. We're keeping it the way it is", I mean the quality of the game isn't changing because of this or anything, but yeah, this shit got blown way out of proportion since the beginning and is pretty ridiculous."
    I like where your heads at but that statement could do with some revision. Too long, and we know that most of the tabloids who misquote and twist words do so because their journalists and editors have short attention spans.
    A short and sweet "Die in a fucking fire." tends to do the job well enough ^_^
    Capcom gets their point across and the tabloids get one hell of a headline. Win/Win =D
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#28  Edited By KamasamaK
    jakob187, I agree. Since when is gameplay the only important part? Sacrificing something solely on behalf of ignorant perception should not be acceptable.

dcpc10 said:
    "I totally agree with OP, but its a little too late now isn't it. If you don't support the developer's choice, then don't buy the game."
    It may be too late to change, but he's just bringing up a conversion that should be had. And hah about not buying it. It's still probably going to be a great game. It's just a shame this had to happen. Not buying the game would probably be less fulfilling than the satisfaction of knowing they didn't get my money for this incident.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By jakob187
    pause422 said:
    "Yeah I really wish Capcom would of just said "If you think we're being racist here, you're a fucking idiot, so go end your life. We're keeping it the way it is", I mean the quality of the game isn't changing because of this or anything, but yeah, this shit got blown way out of proportion since the beginning and is pretty ridiculous."
    I say we all take a picture of our own nuts and send them to Capcom.  Then they'll have PLENTY of balls to be able to stand up to a bunch of retarded media jerkoffs for scapegoating their stupid asses.
    *EDIT*  SEPARATELY take pictures of our own nuts...don't want your junk anywhere near me!!!
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By pause422
    jakob187 said:
    "pause422 said:
    I say we all take a picture of our own nuts and send them to Capcom.  Then they'll have PLENTY of balls to be able to stand up to a bunch of retarded media jerkoffs for scapegoating their stupid asses.
    *EDIT*  SEPARATELY take pictures of our own nuts...don't want your junk anywhere near me!!!
    "
    Yeah I'm sure that will show them!
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Bo17 said:
    "HazBazz said:
    If this game took place in the Antarctic, I'd expect there to be inuits but that doesn't mean I'm prejudice towards eskimo's. (well, they might say I am for merely using the term eskimo, but fuck 'em...I mean...oshi~)

Point is, consistency goes a long way."
    what are you talking about? the last game took place in spain and there was no insults. William said:
    "Who cares?"
    like i said, i didn't, but while playing the game it was something that stood out and i took notice, all these non africans just felt out of place and then i remembered all the "racist" remarks going on and thought, wow they actually let these idiots get the best of them. 

OneEyedNinja7 said:
    "I don't think it's THAT much of an issue. There ARE some cases of places in Africa where blacks don't have a huge majority. Take Sudan for example. Blacks take up 52% of the population while Arabs take up a surprising 39%.

I agree that people did make a big deal because of the whole "shooting Africans in Africa" bit but I don't see why shootin' dudes "who look mexican" or have a lighter skin tone is really such a problem. Capcom can't appease everybody's sensitivity to race. Honestly, the main thing I'm worried about from this game is how much it'll actually be different from RE4."
    It looks more like Sierra Leone or Somalia but Sudan is one of the worst countries so its a possibility. But we all know from initial trailers, this game's setting was clearly inspired by movies like Black Hawk Down and was supposed to take place in a place primarily made up of blacks like Somalia. Even if it was Sudan, the poorest areas there, which look like the places in the game, are mostly blacks, which is southern Sudan, and its one of the most unhealthy regions in the world. Most Arabs in Sudan live in the north and the blacks and arabs don't share religions, they pretty much don't live together. 
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By StaticFalconar

Seems like somebody has never actually handled a PR situation before. Like the guys at capcom say, it has never crossed their mind, so it wouldn't make one difference to them if half the population was changed to non black people. But if that change could stop all this foolish madness why wouldn't they do it.

It wasn't like they were adamant that all the bad guys are black, and changing it would somehow mean they sold out because it would change an integral part of the game. You as a person would make the choice of fuck you i'm sticking it in, but a true professional would deal with it professionally like change it since the devs didn't give a fuck about it in the first place.

PS: Kinda glad they mixed it up since it would mean more than the simple 3 or 4 zombie skins all games eventually boil down to.

"HazBazz said:

Um, Antartica is down in the South where the penguins are. Eskimos or inuits live in the north, like by Alaska or Canada. Antartica truly is uninhabited by human beings other than researchers down there. There truly never has been any form of functioning society down there that can sustain on thier own. So if you want consistency, Code-V should of had nothing but killer zombie Penguins.
    Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Aurelito

No one can stand against Fox news, expecially retailers. if i was there, i would remove all of Black skinned fellas from the game.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By trulyalive
    StaticFalconar said:

"HazBazz said:

Um, Antartica is down in the South where the penguins are. Eskimos or inuits live in the north, like by Alaska or Canada. Antartica truly is uninhabited by human beings other than researchers down there. There truly never has been any form of functioning society down there that can sustain on thier own. So if you want consistency, Code-V should of had nothing but killer zombie Penguins."
    ...Man, I really did zone out during geography lessons, didn't I >_<;
    My bad. For some reason at school I always connected inuits with Antarctica. I wasn't like this with all lessons, it's just that Geography put me to sleep. Literally.
    And by the by, I would totes go for killer penguins.
    DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    Ze Germans are coming.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By TwoOneFive
    Aurelito said:
    "No one can stand against Fox news, expecially retailers. if i was there, i would remove all of Black skinned fellas from the game."
    did fox news ever mention a thing about this though? and seriously, no one can stand against fox news?! One word: Obama. 
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#37  Edited By mracoon

I know people from Africa who heard about the changes they made and even they thought it was stupid. The most common skin colour in Africa is black, so why do you have to pretend it's not.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
    You know what?

It's all the Animus' fault.
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Bulldog19892

Racism sort of reversed itself, albeit to a considerably lesser degree. Now whites have to be all apologetic and treat black people with the same respect they would give a priest, and if there's any hint of treating them, you know, as if they were just another normal human being, they blow the "racist" whistle. Perceived racism is like the new Red Scare.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.