Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Nov 10, 2015

A follow up to 2013's Tomb Raider reboot. After the events of the previous game, Lara spends one year searching to explain what she saw. Her quest to explain immortality leads her to Siberia, home of a mythical city known as Kitezh.

How does the platforming feel in Rise of The Tomb Raider?

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
    jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jdizzlefoshizzle

I felt rather disappointed by Uncharated 4 as I felt it focused too heavily on automatic feeling platforming. I think Ideally the idea would be that the ambient dialogue between characters and sense of exploration through great looking areas are meant to sustain you through the mindless feeling gameplay during these sections, but for whatever reason that didn't work for me. Even more-so than the PS3 Uncharted games the platforming in UC4 felt really boring.

With this in mind I am wondering if the platforming in Rise of the Tombraider feels any better. I do really like the idea of third person shooting/platforming/puzzle solving adventure games, but don't want to be bored like in Uncharted. Is the platforming in Rise of the Tombraider feel more like real platforming, or does it feel automatic like UC4. As a reference point I loved the Platforming/Shooter combo of the Titanfall 2 campaign as the platforming there, while simplified, didn't feel automatic like uncharted.

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

It's pretty similar to Uncharted, but a little more interesting (grabbing walls with the climbing axe is done with a button press, for example). Still pretty simple.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Just based on the headline, I was gonna say "less stilted than Uncharted 4." I honestly couldn't stand the extended platform sections in that game.

Tomb Raider's feels a little more natural, a bit more threatening. It's also paced a hell of a lot better and you won't be stuck in a half hour platforming section while people voice act at you. In general, the gameplay of Rise feels way, way better than UC4 in every way (but that's just my opinion).

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

It's a a little less stiff, feels better, and the sequences to have a sense of peril to them. But it's similar to uncharted and still fairly basic and quite easy, but a lot more fun in my opinion. They're also a lot shorter

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

#5  Edited By sammo21

in all honesty, its not much different (or more realistic) than Uncharted 4. The platforming is the exact same as the last Tomb Raider game if you played through it.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By hermes

It is less guided than Uncharted (there is no such a thing as move the stick until you see him reach out), but still not so open as Assassins Creed or other 3rd person platformers...

thatbendorf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am going to be the outlier here and say I actually preferred the platforming in Uncharted. It is perfectly fine in Tomb Raider, just slightly less precise. Of course this is just my opinion, and is probably bias since I've played, and loved, all the Uncharted games.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By hermes

@peasforfees said:

@hermes said:

(there is no such a thing as move the stick until you see him reach out)

I'm currently playing the game for the first time and this is 100% in the game all the time mate haha. I'd say the climbing's pretty similar to uncharted, but a bit more involved and can be more fun at times. You aren't really going to get anything past the move in a direction while everything crumbles, but you're ultimately safe anyway stuff though. They introduce gadgets to mix it up a little bit in tomb raider though, though not greatly.

Maybe I was confused, because I remembered a lot of places where it felt a lot more organic, like climbing walls with the pickaxes and arrows not being restricted to designated holding points or climbing over ledges not failing unless you are on the right angle.

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

@hermes: No, that stuff is still there. There's also that completely unrealistic "jump 5 ft straight up will hanging with a climbing axe, lol. You definitely do the reach out thing a bunch in this game and the last.

TPoppaPuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

@hermes said:

It is less guided than Uncharted (there is no such a thing as move the stick until you see him reach out), but still not so open as Assassins Creed or other 3rd person platformers...

Uhh, yeah it is. If you're supposed to jump she opens her angle towards the jump. If she can't go that direction, she sticks to the wall.

Loading Video...

At like six minutes in you can see her jump to the side she faces the jump in an open stance. When she has to jump up she looks up and sticks to the wall.

Different animation, same mechanic.

@hermes said:

(there is no such a thing as move the stick until you see him reach out)

I'm currently playing the game for the first time and this is 100% in the game all the time mate haha. I'd say the climbing's pretty similar to uncharted, but a bit more involved and can be more fun at times. You aren't really going to get anything past the move in a direction while everything crumbles, but you're ultimately safe anyway stuff though. They introduce gadgets to mix it up a little bit in tomb raider though, though not greatly.

Yep. I also find it funny both added grappling hooks this go around. Between Tomb Raider, UC4, Rainbow Six: Siege, Widowmaker in Overwatch, Mirror's Edge and Titanfall 2, is 2016 year of the grappling hook?

I felt rather disappointed by Uncharated 4 as I felt it focused too heavily on automatic feeling platforming. I think Ideally the idea would be that the ambient dialogue between characters and sense of exploration through great looking areas are meant to sustain you through the mindless feeling gameplay during these sections, but for whatever reason that didn't work for me. Even more-so than the PS3 Uncharted games the platforming in UC4 felt really boring.

With this in mind I am wondering if the platforming in Rise of the Tombraider feels any better. I do really like the idea of third person shooting/platforming/puzzle solving adventure games, but don't want to be bored like in Uncharted. Is the platforming in Rise of the Tombraider feel more like real platforming, or does it feel automatic like UC4. As a reference point I loved the Platforming/Shooter combo of the Titanfall 2 campaign as the platforming there, while simplified, didn't feel automatic like uncharted.

UC and Tomb Raider are mechanically extremely similar. If you found the past UCs including UC4 boring platforming sections then this game won't change your mind. It's extremely similar and offers less dialogue in these sections than UC4 as she is by herself more often than Drake. As far as active gameplay is concerned these games are functionally identical. The only real difference is that UC4 is a little more linear and Tomb Raider has a bit of Ubi-Sandbox in it. There's a bit of crafting and resource gathering and upgrading of weapons, but other than that they're the same. I love them both, but if one isn't your thing, your opinion is most likely going to be identical on the other.

DharmaBum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

The only problem with this game's controls is the weird aiming deadzones (I played on XB1). Otherwise controlling Lara feels very smooth and responsive.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm playing through Rise of the Tomb Raider currently, and it gives a more metroid-y vibe to the platforming because of the gadgets. If you are interested at all in the collectibles (and I wouldn't be except for the XP and gold they give), then you'll be backtracking a fair bit through old areas looking for different paths enabled by the new toys.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last game, Tomb Raider, wasn't a satisfying puzzle platformer, and I doubt the sequel is any better. It's too basic and easy. I recommend getting Tomb Raider: Anniversary instead.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@jdizzlefoshizzle:

It's a lot more involved than Uncharted and feels really good in my opinion. Tomb Raider already did a great job of introducing gear that was necessary to unlock certain paths, but Rise adds in a few more elements that add variety in the latter part of the game. What makes Tomb Raider feel better than Uncharted is the snappiness of the controls. Drake always felt a bit lumbering and floaty. Lara in comparison is swift and precise in her movements with almost all button presses having very little animation priority. I had completed Rise and then went on to play Uncharted 4 and let me tell you it took a while to get used to how everything moved..

That said these modern games are not as punishing as platformers of old, and for the better I might add. You lose some challenge in the manual dexterity category but you gain a much better overall gameplay flow.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@ezekiel said:

The last game, Tomb Raider, wasn't a satisfying puzzle platformer, and I doubt the sequel is any better. It's too basic and easy. I recommend getting Tomb Raider: Anniversary instead.

These new games aren't puzzle platformers at all, so it shouldn't be satisfying that way. A fantastic action game, though? Absolutely.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary has some damn fine puzzles, though, and Underworld had some of the most complex of the entire series. Great games.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:
    @ezekiel said:

These new games aren't puzzle platformers at all, so it shouldn't be satisfying that way. A fantastic action game, though? Absolutely.

Tomb Raider: Anniversary has some damn fine puzzles, though, and Underworld had some of the most complex of the entire series. Great games.

The reboot still has puzzles, though.

Being precise and nailing that maneuver was a big part of Anniversary too, which is dead in the reboot.

I think it's pretty bland as an action game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.