Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Roberta Williams

Person » credited in 22 games

Roberta Williams is a video game designer and writer who pioneered graphical adventure games, with influential titles such as Mystery House, King's Quest, Wizard and the Princess, and Mixed-Up Mother Goose. Sometimes referred to as the mother of adventure games, she was one of the most influential PC game designers.

Bad designer, or clinically insane?

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By skrutop

Funny that Brad mentioned Roberta Williams in his last column, as I'd stumbled upon the King's Quest 3 page and added it to my list of games that defined my childhood.

Looking back on the KQ series, how in God's name were you ever supposed to figure out how to beat these games?  There were no FAQ sites back in the day; you had to divine the designer's insane master plan by sheer brute force (or unbelievable luck).  How many times did I run out of the spell that could turn me into a fly or bird?  How long did it take me to figure out to stash everything under the bed?  How many times did I fall off of the cliff leading into town?  Why the hell did I love these games so much?

Thing2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Thing2

One of my most hated "puzzles" was in KQ5 - when you had to throw a boot at a cat that was chasing a mouse - you literally had about 2-3 seconds to get the boot from your inventory to throw it - if you missed it - they were gone.  There was no message - no FYI - no anything.  About an hour or so after that you found yourself tied up - and *IF* (and to my knowledge only if) you saved that mouse - he would come and chew your ropes to get you out of the predicament.

HOW COULD I THE GAMER HAVE POSSIBLY KNOWN THAT?!?!??!

Insane.........but I loved it....and still enjoy the thought of playing it today - (though I would never actually do so for reasons like the one listed above!)

Avatar image for funkmasterflare
    funkmasterflare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By funkmasterflare

I played the original KQ on Gametap about a year ago for about 15 minutes--then I stopped. I was like, "NO!" I've never played a game where I felt like the game personally hated me; Roberta personally hated me.

Avatar image for dracobasileus75
    DracoBasileus75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By DracoBasileus75

She was a remarkable game designer for the times.  Considering the technology that Sierra On-Line had available to it, they did an outstanding job creating worlds and characters to fit within.  Not all of the games stand up to the test of time, to be sure, but they have their place in the history of gaming as we know it.

lakeport_abe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By lakeport_abe

hmmm i know this was much later, but i remember buying a sierra on-line hint guide for conquest of the longbow. It had a red viewer thing that you put over the page to reveal hints for each of the puzzles. i think i may have also had this for kq5

Dev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Dev

If you think Sierra games are unfair, your just too young and weak - that's the way games were in those days ;)
    Nah, to be honest you can't judging her by todays standards. To understand the genius, you have to think back to the early days of  adventures. Text adventures. No pictures. Sierra changed that. Inventing it is quite a contribution to the genre of graphic adventures, isn't it ?
    The difficulty can also be explained with these roots - in text adventures a large part of the fun was to find out what you are actually capable of doing. Sadly they sticked to that mechanic until KQ 7 ....

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By skrutop
    Dev said:
    "If you think Sierra games are unfair, your just too young and weak - that's the way games were in those days ;)
    Nah, to be honest you can't judging her by todays standards."
    Fair enough, Dev; that was how games were.  I still had a lot of fun with it back then, though the Apple version had an interesting bug.  I had Apple ][ version of KQ3, but my computer was an Apple ][ GS, so the clock feature was incompatible.  I had to grab my mom's egg timer whenever the wizard left so that I didn't get caught out in the wilderness when he reappeared.
    ninjadodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By ninjadodo

I loved playing the King's Quest series, and Dagger of Amon Ra too... by today's standards of game design they have many flaws in terms of dead ends, unfair deaths, etc but if a game is defined by how much you enjoyed playing it, they were still great games.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#9  Edited By demonbear

Phantasmagoria > All

JoelHulsey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoelHulsey

Man, Sierra games were my favorites back in the day. I played them all! Oh how I wish those days would come around again!

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

@Thing2 said:

One of my most hated "puzzles" was in KQ5 - when you had to throw a boot at a cat that was chasing a mouse - you literally had about 2-3 seconds to get the boot from your inventory to throw it - if you missed it - they were gone. There was no message - no FYI - no anything. About an hour or so after that you found yourself tied up - and *IF* (and to my knowledge only if) you saved that mouse - he would come and chew your ropes to get you out of the predicament.HOW COULD I THE GAMER HAVE POSSIBLY KNOWN THAT?!?!??!

I don't know, man! But we somehow figured it out anyway. And we figured out that the only way to defeat the yeti was by throwing a pie in his face.

@ninjadodo said:

I loved playing the King's Quest series, and Dagger of Amon Ra too...

Hell yeah, Laura Bow 2! I recently convinced my friend to try it. He led Laura out of her office and into the street, where she was immediately run over by a car and killed. He stopped playing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.