Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Robot Alchemic Drive

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Nov 04, 2002

Robot Alchemic Drive places the player in control of the Meganite, a gigantic robot, and is tasked with defending Earth from the invading Volgara monsters.

All this Pacific Rim talk reminded me this was pretty rad...

NotSoSneakyGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

A great concept, with a good sense of scale and weight of giant robots fighting a city. I also liked how you remotely control the Meganites on them on foot, it really lent to the scale.

But man that dialogue was so terribly voice acted and grating (purposely according to the wiki), I don't think you could pull that off these days.

I'd say check it out maybe? The game gets a bit stale after awhile, since it's fighting giant robot after giant robot. But that is probably a moot point, finding a copy might be a bit hard.

In all, a cool concept that I'd doubt we'd see redone anytime soon, except that terrible voice acting part, ugh.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By reisz

I've heard about this in every "Pacific Rim was awesome, Mech Games?" thread that has been floating around, never even heard of it when it originally came out, I might check if it's on PSN or not. I could do with some Giant Robot action.

Edit: It's not on PSN. Too bad.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am in the UK and RAD was never released here and so to play properly I would need an american ps2 and NTSC tv. I think the age of HD tvs would allow me to do that...still need to commit to an american ps2...when i cant even commit to a PAL ps2 to play the ps2 games I still own and want to play.

So I played it on Emulator all the games I want to play on a PS2 emulator are the games that are the most taxing to run on something that isnt a ps2.

I played like up to mission 20. Except the flaw with the emulated version is when the game renders too much it slows down. So most the fights were in slow motion.

You also want to know what is horrible? The voice acting as you said...isnt very good....BUT WHEN YOU MOTHER FUCKING ARE RUNNING AT 3 FPS THAT SHIT FUCKING DRIVES YOU INSANE!!

Its really honestly has scarred me. I have been watching a bunch of Nostalgia critic and when he used slow down of video for some reason it sounds like this...and I wince.

Dear fucking god....that fucking reporter woman! Its one thing to listen to her normally, you fucking try at half speed! or even SLOWER! DEAR GOD!

This video shows you my pain. my only solace was to put unlimited FPS on and when they did that nonsense chatter as i walked around....I would look up the game wouldn't render anything and the FPS would go to 100000 and everything was like chipmunks.....fuck the voices man...fuck them!

Loading Video...

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Pacific Rim was trash. I can't believe people give Michael Bay shit for the Transformers movies, but love this bland as hell Pacfic Rim.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oraknabo

This was the first game I bought for the PS2. It has so many things wrong with it that it's almost a game you can only love ironically, but if you put aside expectations of what makes a good game it's actually really fun and interesting.

I'd really like to see some of the ideas in this game recycled for a next-gen game with better destructible environments (at least as good as Red Faction Guerrilla) and better enemy AI and animation.

The voice acting didn't even bother me that much because it reminded me of badly dubbed Kaiju films, it's just that the newscasts and dialogue scenes are really badly paced and go on forever. I loved the expert controls. I should really play it again.

reisz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akyho: Oh my, that is agonising.

Dallas_Raines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Loading Video...

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@reisz: "AAaaaaass chuuuu caaaaaannn sheeeeeeee daaaaa raaaaampagein raaabat iiiiiiis hhhheaaaadinnnnng tooooooowars deee ciiiiity....."
    You see why I wince and become angry.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.