Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

Help for someone who doesn't play music games.

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I don't buy music games, so other than what I hear on the Bombcast or watch on Happy Hour I don't really know much about them. I'd like to purchase Rock Band 3 for my two cousins for xmas. They have no controllers at all. They have an Xbox 360. What is the best way to get them everything they need? From what I can see there is a keyboard + game bundle, so I would get that. But what is the best method for getting the other instruments (guitar, drums, mic)? I assume buying this would work; 

Rock Band 2 Special Edition (Game, guitar, drums, mic) 
    Rock Band 3 bundle with Keyboard 

Yes? I think they can import the songs from 2 as well right? Do the songs from Rock Band 1 transfer over as well? Because I can get that game for like $5.

Avatar image for inhumanachievement
    InhumanAchievement

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Your ideas for what to buy sounds pretty good. The only thing you overlooked is that it costs $5 to import the RB1 songs, and it will cost a little more to import the RB2 songs, but they haven't announced the exact price yet.

Kaburorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Kaburorne

Make sure you buy the previous games new, because when you export the songs you have to enter a code from the back of the manual. I think it's one-time use, so there's a good chance the pre-owned copy will have already been used.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Rolyatkcinmai: That sounds good. You should know though that there are 2 and 3 part vocals in RB3 so you may want to pick up an extra mic or two if you think they would want to get into that. Also, it's always nice to have more than one guitar, but of course you can get by with only one. 

And yeah, exporting songs from every Rock Band game (except the Beatles game) is doable. It costs extra for each game, but it's worth it to have all the music in one place.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By TheGreatGuero

If it's just the two of them, you might want to pass on the keyboard and just get the normal band setup (drums, guitar, mic).

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By GT-Man

Yah
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By skrutop

Like @JJWeatherman said, you might want to get them additional microphones.  Check to see if you can find a deal for the Lips mics.  I found one for $15 bundled with a game.

MrRedwine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MrRedwine

Rock Band 1 you can get used.  Because that game came out before all the strategy with importing songs was finalized, there was no code with it and you can export songs from it no matter what.  The other games you will want to get new because in order to export from them you will need a code.

This would be a pretty cool present, though.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By shirogane

How old are they? I assume not too old. I'd go with that idea. Unless you want to get them one of those new crazy pro guitars that they probably have no clue how to use. 
    Unless they play the instruments of course. The keyboard seems like a good idea, but it really depends on what they're into. 

Did not know about the multi-part vocals, but that shouldn't be an issue for now, you can use any old mic for the games can't you? Even if not, mics shouldn't be too expensive or hard to get later.
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai
    @InhumanAchievement said:
    " Your ideas for what to buy sounds pretty good. The only thing you overlooked is that it costs $5 to import the RB1 songs, and it will cost a little more to import the RB2 songs, but they haven't announced the exact price yet. "
    That's reasonable then. Thanks.@JJWeatherman said:
    " @Rolyatkcinmai: That sounds good. You should know though that there are 2 and 3 part vocals in RB3 so you may want to pick up an extra mic or two if you think they would want to get into that. Also, it's always nice to have more than one guitar, but of course you can get by with only one.  And yeah, exporting songs from every Rock Band game (except the Beatles game) is doable. It costs extra for each game, but it's worth it to have all the music in one place. "
    Thanks for the info. I think I'll leave secondary guitars and mics to their parents. As long as I can get them the necessities it will be plenty. 

@TheGreatGuero said:
    " If it's just the two of them, you might want to pass on the keyboard and just get the normal band setup (drums, guitar, mic). "
    It is just the two of them, but they're at the age where they constantly have tons of friends over so I think they'd enjoy the keys. I know I always enjoyed having four Playstation controllers and a multitap when I was that age and I was an only child. :P 

@skrutop said:
    " Like @JJWeatherman said, you might want to get them additional microphones.  Check to see if you can find a deal for the Lips mics.  I found one for $15 bundled with a game. "
    That is a good deal. I might have to look around. 

@MrRedwine said:
    " Rock Band 1 you can get used.  Because that game came out before all the strategy with importing songs was finalized, there was no code with it and you can export songs from it no matter what.  The other games you will want to get new because in order to export from them you will need a code.  This would be a pretty cool present, though. "
    Thanks for the clarification. I'll get RB1 used for a few bucks. If I buy RB2 used now (pre-RB3) then there's like a 99% chance the code hasn't been used though right? Since there's nothing to import those songs into currently? 

@Shirogane said:
    " How old are they? I assume not too old. I'd go with that idea. Unless you want to get them one of those new crazy pro guitars that they probably have no clue how to use. Unless they play the instruments of course. The keyboard seems like a good idea, but it really depends on what they're into.  Did not know about the multi-part vocals, but that shouldn't be an issue for now, you can use any old mic for the games can't you? Even if not, mics shouldn't be too expensive or hard to get later. "
    They're 10 and 13 (I think). The ten year old takes guitar lessons and is surprisingly good for his age. I think at some point down the line he would enjoy the pro guitar, but at $150 or whatever, I'll leave that for another holiday.
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By skrutop
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    If I buy RB2 used now (pre-RB3) then there's like a 99% chance the code hasn't been used though right? Since there's nothing to import those songs into currently? 
    That's a good point.  You might be right there.  You can also export the songs from Lego Rock Band ($20 new) and Green Day: Rock Band ($40 new) for $10 each.  You'll probably want to steer clear of a used copy of those, though since there's a chance the disc has already been used to export.
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By melcene
    @Rolyatkcinmai said:
    They're 10 and 13 (I think). The ten year old takes guitar lessons and is surprisingly good for his age. I think at some point down the line he would enjoy the pro guitar, but at $150 or whatever, I'll leave that for another holiday. "
    My daughter is 11 and she LOVES playing the games.  Her friends (boys and girls) come over and that's what they're all most likely to play, even the ones who've never played before.  It's a good present for any age group.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.