Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rocket League

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Jul 07, 2015

The sequel to Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars, Rocket League is the second vehicular sports-action game developed by Psyonix.

Free-to-Play Model and Changes

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Just thought would pop this out there to see if there are any Duders still playing RL regularly, or maybe hopped back on since the change over to free to play to see how you're all finding it?

I've been playing this game on and off since it's release, I love it but unfortunately I'm pretty bad despite all this time to practice so drift away from it every now and then - usual story, I try hard but still make errors, toxic comments, think why bother, have a 6 month break, forget it all happened and start again.

So far since the revamp I'm quite enjoying the new system, strangely for free-to-play the general community seems a bit nicer than before but that might just be my perspective. The balance of the weekly challenges seems a little off, both weeks now I got all of them within an hour or so of game time which seems a little light. I have the premium pass, mostly because I had a voucher for the Epic store, and the drop rate seems good for that on the season item drops but it seems very limited if you just play the free version - but it's free so I guess that's the trade off. Not sure if you can unlock enough credits to completely get enough for a free premium pass for the next season but it feels mighty close if not.

I've seen a lot of people grumble about the new blueprint system, and I can't make up my mind about it. On one hand I use to hate paying money to unlock a chest I had no idea what was in for purely cosmetic items (in fact random drop cosmetic items in a game focused on how your avatar looks and that has literally hundreds of items is a bugbear of mine). Now, getting the blueprint randomly, seeing what it is and then choosing which to pay to unlock on the surface seem much better. However, I'm am not convinced by the pricing for these - a blueprint for a body I thought looked pretty nice was twice is price of the season pass to open. Now as pricing goes that seems pretty off and I'd be more peeved if there were less items that I'm happily pursuing in the season pass unlocks but as it is I'll just keep collecting the blueprints and trade them off to other's that want them.

Anyone else been drawn back to it and found it good, meh or a bit gross?

Rebel_Scum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

I find the match making is a little bit worse. Im not sure if thats because more “rank” players are playing in the casual option or maybe everybody’s just gotten real good all of a sudden. That happened after a major update a few months back.

I also find the best games when your playing by yourself are the one’s where its 6 players who arent in a party or a club.

But the matchmaking does pit you against a club team of 3 often. Its not terrible or anything but usually the game is better and less toxic when you’re not playing against club teams.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

@rebel_scum: Actually, now you mention it the matchmaking is a little off sometimes. I don't have anyone I play in a team with so have found the being put against a much higher level club team alongside other randoms a bit too frequent. Also, about 12 months ago when I last played regularly I was always put of the competitive playlists for generally feeling a bit too under skilled so stuck to casual most of time. Nowadays I've been mostly getting more fun and nice teammates and opposition more frequently from the competitive playlists. That might in part be down to the various challenges requiring a good chunk of game in casual and extra modes to unlock them thus spreading the club players over different playlists.

turboman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 11

@rebel_scum: The season rewards is forcing you to play in casual playlist, so for me I'm playing a lot of casual games even though my skill level is waaaaaay higher than everyone else in the match. I'm trying not to overwhelm everyone else because I know that shit can be frustrating and I want everyone there to get better.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.