Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rollerdrome

Game » consists of 1 releases. Released Aug 16, 2022

A fast-paced third-person shooter centered around roller skating movement and tricks, from the creators of OlliOlli.

Play the post game, it's super good!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

So the post game of Rollerdrome might be one of the best action games I've ever played.

I finished the campaign today and had a good time. Towards the end, it really stepped up in intensity, to the point where I went to some early levels to finish a few challenges and those felt super easy. I got to the last level, it was tense as hell, and I felt like an amazing rollerdromer (D ranks and all). Overall, a cool game that felt pretty content-light with a solid foundation for a sequel.

You unlock a post game mode, Out for Blood. It's basically the campaign again but way more difficult, there are no challenges, and there's no narrative stuff. It's a straight up action gauntlet with all your weapons and all the enemies. After the first level the trophy was "Welcome to Rollerdrome" and oh boy, this feels like the game they wanted to make. The campaign is basically a tutorial before you get to the real shit.

I was ready to put the game down after trying the first post game level, but I'm glad I stuck with it. You start to get a better feel for the mechanics and now this feels like the best parts of Tony Hawk, Max Payne, and that arena mode from Vanquish. Whereas my first couple of hours felt like I was flailing around and stumbling through, now every move is deliberate. Every weapon combo, every wall ride, and every health pick up needs to be on point. There's no down time and you're constantly under threat, but it feels completely fair. Like the title says, it's super good.

That's all I came here to say. Rollerdrome just went from a possible top 10 entry to one of my favorite games of the year. If you like a challenge and digging deep into a game's mechanics, this one can't be missed.

Hakiroto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That's really good to hear. I've only played the first 5 levels, but I'm excited to go back. The visuals are stunning, the music is great, and the controls are tight. It's such a good game, and I hope more people give it a go.

Just like you said, I've spent most of my time flailing around so far, getting to grips with things, but I've already had moments where everything comes together, and things just flow. It's so satisfying.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I might dip into it. I definitely had a great time with the campaign, some minor gripes aside. The gameplay already feels good, even when you're not nailing everything 100%, but once you do, it feels amazing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hakiroto: I don't think I hit a proper flow state til the last major tier. But now that I'm there, I'm basically flowing the entire time.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

This game is pretty great from the start, but once it ramps up, it's even better.

The higher-level play relies on the super reflex dodge moves, so you really can't get completely into the ideal flow until the levels are saturated with enemies that are constantly attacking you.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: Yeah, it basically feels like the Matrix lobby scene, the holy grail of the PS2 era.

I'm doing slow-mo flips with stuff blowing up all around me. I keep thinking of Neo doing his one-handed somersault while blasting.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@chaser324: Yeah, it basically feels like the Matrix lobby scene, the holy grail of the PS2 era.

I'm doing slow-mo flips with stuff blowing up all around me. I keep thinking of Neo doing his one-handed somersault while blasting.

whoah, based on the way everyone's talking about rollerdrome, and the gameplay I've seen so far, this looks like an awesome speed shooter. 😮

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#9 chaser324  Moderator

@armoredmachine: The comparison most people have made is "Tony Hawk with guns", and while that is pretty accurate, I saw someone in a Steam review call it "Doom on rollerskates" which I think is closer to the actual vibe.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glots

Out for Blood is a very apt description of the mode. I died four times in the first stage, then got through it with almost all 3 challenges (was like 5 seconds off from the time limit) done. Next two stages on first try, then Houston Mall kept kicking my ass and I didn’t get even close to beating it.

It’s cool, but I doubt I’ll play through it. I don’t want to get mega frustrated with the game and leave myself with a bad aftertaste after having had a blast. At least not this soon, maybe I’ll refresh my skills in a few months.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like the video game I never knew I always wanted.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This sounds like the video game I never knew I always wanted.

It also sounds like mine, though it only feels like a part of it... like it needs to be a part of a way bigger game. 😅

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I dig Olli Olli World and this looks fun. Seems to not be out for Switch yet, but I may pick it up when it (inevitably) arrives.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wollywoo said:

I dig Olli Olli World and this looks fun. Seems to not be out for Switch yet, but I may pick it up when it (inevitably) arrives.

Should be by August next year, since PS5 has one year's exclusivity.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.