Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

Godspeed, Ryan Davis

• 120 results
    SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Thank you buzz_clik, Rorie, Dave, and everyone else that has been able to pay respects to Ryan as beautifully and as eloquently.

I can barely comprehend this right now.

Thank you, Ryan Davis.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

Well said dude. RIP

Avatar image for the_hiro_abides
    the_hiro_abides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm not sure in how to articulate all this but damn. This is sad, I hate to see him go, but I'm happy for him that he did get to be wedded and do the honeymoon thing.

He will be missed, when he was happy or laughing he just lit up the room. Condolences to everyone that cares about him. Close family and friends especially.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Here is an internet hug for you Cal. *hug* This is all so crazy and doesn't feel real. I don't really know how to feel. Try to make it out to the States at least once to say hi to everyone else.

jocumo89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@deegee said:

@milkman said:

I seriously feel like I just lost one of my best friends. I don't care how weird that sounds. The thought of going the rest of the day just pretending to be okay is killing me right now. And what would I tell people? "Oh, this guy on the internet died." That sounds insane but it's the truth.

Deadlydog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#106  Edited By Deadlydog

@nodima: Exactly how i feel man...

BD_Mr_Bubbles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

For someone I didn't know personally it still hurts like I did. R.I.P. Ryan

Twisted_Scot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By Twisted_Scot

Like most here, I never met Ryan but have been a fan since way back, this is crushing. R.I.P big man.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I didn't always agree with him, but who the hell couldn't love the sheer energy he brought to the site? He clearly had an adoration for what he did. His heart was filled with purpose, and his life was filled with deeds.

Avatar image for tavistavistavis
    tavistavistavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is absolutely shocking and so sad. You will be missed by all Ryan

redgonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@buzz_clik: I can't agree with you more Giant bomb but Ryan especially has such an influence on me thru out high school, I feel like I've not only lost a best friend, but one of my biggest influences. the giant bombcast has gotten me thru so much shit in my life. My world feels a little less bright without him.

Avatar image for heatherarmstrong
    HeatherArmstrong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am too sad right now to eloquently express much of anything but I have this feeling that Ryan is laughing and smiling right now even though we are sad. Ryan and Jeff and crew have uplifted my spirits so many times in the countless hours of podcasts, quick looks, endurance runs, etc. that I have listened to and watched going back to the gamespot days that they feel like family. I feel like I have lost a brother so I can't even imagine what the GB crew is going through. Thinking back to the first days of Giant Bomb, thinking about how it has grown and trying to imagine Jeff, especially, without Ryan going forward is so sad. The only good thing is that there are still recordings that we can listen to and watch. I'm starting my marathon right now.

Gerhabio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't stop tearing up

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#114  Edited By Jeldh

I have no words. I'll really miss him alot.

MrHammeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman: So true, I feel the same way.

fishinwithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@milkman said:

I seriously feel like I just lost one of my best friends. I don't care how weird that sounds. The thought of going the rest of the day just pretending to be okay is killing me right now. And what would I tell people? "Oh, this guy on the internet died." That sounds insane but it's the truth.

That doesn't sound weird at all. I JUST found out a few minutes ago, like an hour after waking up and I feel weird about how much it's bothering me because I didn't know him personally, but reading all the comments of people in disbelief and saying they feel like they lost a dear friend proves that I'm not alone in feeling this way. I don't really know how else to put it, like many people here my first reaction was "this has to be a joke..." but my next thought was "why would anyone who knew this guy joke about his death?"

I'm not trying to co-opt anyone's compassion or pain here or anything, I mean this obviously is harder for the GB crew and the rest of his friends and family to deal with. I didn't even know he was that young.

It's hard to process. It's a strange feeling indeed.

It reminds me of another loss I had to deal with back in 2004, and again this will sound insane, but I think Ryan would have appreciated this analogy:

I grew up listening to Wu-Tang and had listened to them all throughout my adolescence, but for like two months straight back in '04, the ONLY album I listened to, both alone and with friends in my car, was their first album, Enter the Wu-Tang: 36 Chambers. We listened played the CD beginning to end, and just let it repeat over and over. But one day, after getting home from a long drive with three close friends, and listening to that very album, my friend David got online and said the words, "Dude...ODB died?" He was the one reporting this news yet still phrased it like a question because he was in disbelief, and so were we all. We couldn't fathom a Wu-Tang without Ol' Dirty. We were all sincerely upset and later on when I told non-Wu-Tang-fans how it was devastating to me, they thought I was joking. We just kinda sat around in silence, occasionally saying "I just still can't believe it, man" and stuff like that. It wasn't like Wu-Tang was our whole lives but it still hit us hard, and kinda lingered for a few days.

So yes, I'm comparing Ryan to a rapper who went by the names Big Baby Jesus, Dirt McGirt, and Ol' Dirty Bastard. But anyone who knows me would know that that comparison is high praise. I never really post on here, I just enjoy the content, but I had to make an exception this time.

Rest in peace, Ryan.

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

R.I.P
    Ryan

Quemaqua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Every so often I think back to Ryan Davis. I never had the pleasure of meeting him personally, but even more than 2 years after his passing, I still remember him as someone I knew, and have those memories that jump up unbidden from my subconscious about him the same way I do other people that I've been close to over the years but haven't seen in a long time. I don't suppose there are too many better legacies to leave behind, as tragic as his loss was to his wife, his family, his friends, and this community. In the end, there are few people who can say they've made friends with people they've never even met or talked to. It's something very different from everyday celebrity, something richer in feeling for being smaller in size.

We still miss you, buddy. Wherever you are, I hope you're smiling. And I hope you still think of us from time to time too.

Avatar image for lowestformofwit
    lowestformofwit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I still miss Ryan daily, even though I have no real right as I never knew him personally.

Fuck Ryan Davis.

fram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's still shocking thinking about how hard his passing hit me at the time. Now whenever I'm reminded of Ryan I can only smile and laugh. Occasionally there are tears, but they come from a place of happy memories rather than sadness.

@buzz_clik this is actually the first time I've read your post on this, I think it got lost in the initial flurry of tributes and outpourings. Great words. Dude was something else.

Ryan Davis helped create something special here, and it's our duty to keep it awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I miss his enthusiasm for games you can tell he really enjoyed games it didn't feel like a job to him alot other gaming journalist seem so miserable and jaded.

CaptainCody

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never change my emblem image since those 2+ years ago. Fuck Ryan Davis.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

Amen.... Amen....

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.