Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Ryan Davis

Person » credited in 9 games

Ryan Davis was a GameSpot editor and co-founder of Giant Bomb. He was solely responsible for founding batmanbatmanbatman.com and cocainemountain.com, and went by the online nickname of "Taswell." Ryan passed away on July 3, 2013. He is gone but never forgotten. We love you, Ryan.

Ryan Davis's Father Confirms what happened to Ryan.

• 182 results
    mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

@mrfluke said:

@oraknabo said:

Wanting to know isn't just for closure & gossip. People also want to know when things like this happen to young people because they want to know how they could prevent it from happening to themselves or their own family & friends.

exactly, i have 3 family members with sleep apnea, ryan's case is a horrific reminder that sleep apnea is very lethal and should not be underestimated. and im going to do some extra research on sleep apnea now.

Yeah, my dad has it, so this sort of stresses me out a bit. Should give him a call when I get off work.

There was also a tweet on the day he died from his wife: she mentioned sending her brother to wake him up. Such a bummer. At least, we can hope, it was peaceful and painless.

kind of kills me that i didn't put together this conclusion sooner, i always treated this sleep apnea stuff very naively, as in "yea right no one can possibly die from it" i would have put together a care package for ryan based of the webmd information on the ways to treat it.

but yea, id imagine death by sleep apnea is generally peaceful and painless (i sound like a psycho saying that)

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm imagining that obesity and sleep deprivation isn't so funny around the office ever again.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jams said:

This scares the shit out of me because I had a sleep test done about 4 years ago. The doctor told me (24 at the time) that my blood oxygen was so low that I could have cardiovascular problems and die in my early 30's. The same thing happened to me that apparently happened to Ryan. My god forsaken cpap machine lost its effectiveness over a couple of months. I ended up having to get my jaw busted and realigned and that was one of the things they fixed for me (along with a fixed bite). It's a hard couple of months recovering from the surgery with your jaw wired shut, but I'd recommend it if it's an option for you.

yikes, sorry to hear thats what you had to go through man.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarnecki said:

I'm imagining that obesity and sleep deprivation isn't so funny around the office ever again.

im sure they were well aware, but id have to imagine this is a very very serious reminder to them.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@mushir said:

I don't want to speculate too much, but sleep apnea seems quite likely. This is from Wikipedia:

Individuals with low muscle tone and soft tissue around the airway (e.g., because of obesity) and structural features that give rise to a narrowed airway are at high risk for obstructive sleep apnea

We all know that Ryan was a big guy, and I was always worried that his weight would someday cause him harm. I hope I don't seem like an ass. I loved the guy.

I feel you, I keep comparing this to Patrice O'Neal because it's just so similar, from the way he carried himself to the impact that was felt in his given industry, comedy. Patrice was 41, overweight (though I believe a good deal taller than Ryan) and Black with type 2 diabetes so his chances were never good, he used to always joke about waking up one day without a left foot. The week of his death was equally bittersweet because you had his whole Opie & Anthony catalog making its way onto Youtube for free, all his obscure stand-up bits...bit in the backs of everyone's minds (and on the front of some people's tongues, like Louie CK's who went back 15-20 years with Patrice) was, "Damn it Patrice, why couldn't we have just figured out how to get you healthier?"

The moment I heard I thought "natural causes", I never expected a big ordeal about it. Ryan clearly didn't live a healthy lifestyle - although he certainly lived a full, productive and envious one full of compassion and success - and it's a warning to the no doubt thousands of his fans that live similarly. You HAVE to be on top of your health issues, especially the ones you have SOME sort of control over (I'd never claim Ryan COULD have lost the weight without some extreme surgery, as that's a legitimate issue in the U.S., or that he never tried to...I'm just rambling about Patrice, really, who I still miss insanely).

Deathstriker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Deathstriker

@lexus2jz said:

He was being treated for his sleep apnea so I doubt it was that. Then again maybe he was not wearing his cpap. Also you don't really die of natural causes at 34.

Natural causes just means it wasn't an accident (car crash) nor foul play (stabbing); apnea, stroke, cancer, heart attack, etc would all fall under natural causes and can happen at any age.

JouselDelka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not surprised, still as heartbroken and fucked up as yesterday though.

When the grief passes we have to admit that ignoring obesity is lethal. This is a lesson for all of us to try and remain in shape. Obesity is not just a thing, it's a countdown to the worse.

I will think of Ryan the next time I miss the gym, he will be this inspiration for me, may he rest in peace.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lexus2jz said:

He was being treated for his sleep apnea so I doubt it was that. Then again maybe he was not wearing his cpap. Also you don't really die of natural causes at 34.

Natural causes just means it wasn't an accident (car crash) nor foul play (stabbing); apnea, stroke, cancer, heart attack, etc would all fall under natural causes and can happen at any age.

he's right, apnea can happen to anyone at any age, i hope i dont sound like an ass here, but the generalization is that its most common to heavier people. (thin people get it to)

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When the grief passes we have to admit that ignoring obesity is lethal. This is a lesson for all of us to try and remain in shape. Obesity is not just a thing, it's a countdown to the worse.

I will think of Ryan the next time I miss the gym, he will be this inspiration for me, may he rest in peace.

thats a good mindset to have, its a topic we gotta skirt around for a bit as its still raw in its relevancy,

but you are definitely right.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thats a good mindset to have, its a topic we gotta skirt around for a bit as its still raw in its relevancy,

but you are definitely right.

It's funny, at the gym last night my run was no music, no intense ritual, just the bombcast and heart broken thoughts of Ryan to carry me forward. Worked harder than I have in weeks.

eag67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Im ok with really not knowing specifically why he died. Im just a bit curious as to why it took a few days for the crew to know about it.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

@eag67 said:

Im ok with really not knowing specifically why he died. Im just a bit curious as to why it took a few days for the crew to know about it.

They didn't. John Drake knew on the 4th (he was texting...someone around 1PM, I forget who wrote that blog) and someone said in this thread that Patrick knew late on the 3rd, which means the rest of them probably had to know the day-of as well. How could they not? I'm sure they were all some of the first calls made after the time of death, if not the 911 call.

gunde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It's at least some solace to hear that he died peacefully, not much you know, but some...

But let's not go into how exactly he died, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that we all need to take care of ourselves and our loved ones, I've seen far too many stories about people not taking the chance they have but rather wait for a future opportunity.

Maybe this will help us all realize that what we have right now is all we have, and we've got to live like that, no more deferring things to the future, no more procrastinating. Take care of yourselves, your health, and seize every moment you get. Because you just don't know if you'll ever have that chance again.

Sorry about all that rambling...

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#64  Edited By OllyOxenFree

@eag67 said:

It's normal to wait a while before revealing to the public that someone has passed away. And like the duder above said, they already knew before Monday.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima said:

@eag67 said:

They didn't. John Drake knew on the 4th (he was texting...someone around 1PM, I forget who wrote that blog) and someone said in this thread that Patrick knew late on the 3rd, which means the rest of them probably had to know the day-of as well. How could they not? I'm sure they were all some of the first calls made after the time of death, if not the 911 call.

Jeff also made the edit on ryan davis's page saying he died on the 3rd,

thats as concrete as it gets in terms of getting the truth.

eag67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if they did know they held up pretty well through the holiday weekend. And im guessing since this a public website maybe they wanted the rest of the family to know before they went public. Either way im still numb.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By mrfluke

@gunde said:

It's at least some solace to hear that he died peacefully, not much you know, but some...

But let's not go into how exactly he died, it doesn't really matter. What does matter is that we all need to take care of ourselves and our loved ones, I've seen far too many stories about people not taking the chance they have but rather wait for a future opportunity.

Maybe this will help us all realize that what we have right now is all we have, and we've got to live like that, no more deferring things to the future, no more procrastinating. Take care of yourselves, your health, and seize every moment you get. Because you just don't know if you'll ever have that chance again.

Sorry about all that rambling...

nah no worries, let it out, you are right, its a very serious reminder for all of us. im restarted doing research into making the health of my loved ones better.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

@eag67 said:

Maybe because they wanted to give Ryan his privacy during his honeymoon and were waiting for him to return to the office yesterday to learn everything that happened then. Also, his wife probably did not want to tell the crew about his death immediately to completely interrupt their plans of broadcasting content from last week.

But I'm with you, I think just knowing that he passed away from natural causes without going into great detail might be enough for me to swallow. RIP Ryan Davis, I still miss you!

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By strainedeyes

@mrfluke said:

@nodima said:

@eag67 said:

Jeff also spent the 4th of July with Ryan's wife, she posted a picture of people lighting sparklers in the street and Jeff is standing there.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By mrfluke

@mrfluke said:

@nodima said:

@eag67 said:

Jeff also spent the 4th of July with Ryan's wife, she posted a picture of people lighting sparklers in the street and Jeff is standing there.

https://twitter.com/EnemyNanner/status/353024722960785410/photo/1

yep, but kinda not relevant to this thread though.

eag67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By eag67

@mocbucket62 said:
    @eag67 said:

Maybe because they wanted to give Ryan his privacy during his honeymoon and were waiting for him to return to the office yesterday to learn everything that happened then. Also, his wife probably did not want to tell the crew about his death immediately to completely interrupt their plans of broadcasting content from last week.

But I'm with you, I think just knowing that he passed away from natural causes without going into great detail might be enough for me to swallow. RIP Ryan Davis, I still miss you!

Well it doesn't make much difference and it seems that people knew apparently. But gotta give them credit must have been hard for some of them to be tweeting as nothing had happen knowing what they knew. Not sure I could hold back if someone I knew passed away.

donkeycow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eag67 said:

I'm sure they knew for some time, just chose not to release the information till Ryan's family and friends had enough time to grieve in private.

Lexus2jz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lexus2jz said:

Yes I know what natural causes means. My point was that there was an underlying condition not being given for a 34 year old to die.

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still just want this to be a joke. A sick, horrible joke that would make me so fucking mad. Still, he'd be alive, and that's all I really want. I loved that man, and I'm proud to have called him a fellow human being. The world could use a lot more Taswell's, that's for sure.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought he had been getting treated for his sleep apnea, but I suppose there wasn't much anyone could do about it after so many years.

RIP, San Francisco Resident and Hunkadunk Hater, (B)Ryan Davis.

XenoNick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#76  Edited By XenoNick

Fair play to his dad for informing us. He didn't have to and everyone here would have accepted that.

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We all know the reason dude.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Glad he went the best way possible.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#79  Edited By jakob187

I know about sleep apnea. My mother has used a CPAP machine for almost a decade, and I have a friend in his 30s that also uses one.

I'm not going to lie: I was hoping they'd say that he went on a cocaine binge and recreated the ending of The Grey.

I'm just going to imagine that's EXACTLY how it happened, because Ryan was that much of a badass. He'd throat-punch the fuck out of a wolf.

Tofin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#80  Edited By Tofin

@jakob187 said:

I'm not going to lie: I was hoping they'd say that he went on a cocaine binge and recreated the ending of The Grey.

I'm just going to imagine that's EXACTLY how it happened, because Ryan was that much of a badass. He'd throat-punch the fuck out of a wolf.

Fuck reality, that's how Ryan Davis went out.

Wraxend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

All I wanted to know was that there wasn't any pain, he just passed away in his sleep that's all.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jakob187 said:

Fuck reality, that's how Ryan Davis went out.

i like this idea as well,

Sarnecki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By Sarnecki

didnt you reply already? i dont get you saying that again?

Your confusion confuses me.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sarnecki said:

didnt you reply already? i dont get you saying that again?

Your confusion confuses me.

and your confusion confuses my confusion :P.

lets drop it then, nvm.

MeatSim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

Well at least it was peaceful and we now have some closure.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By mrfluke

@meatsim said:

Well at least it was peaceful and we now have some closure.

exactly

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#89  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I'm glad to know he went peacefully. Thanks OP.

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I don't really think you can die at 34 from natural causes. With that said I respect the family decision not to disclose more details and in the end it doesn't really matter.

No one actually dies of "natural causes." People die of heart failure or respiratory failure or a myriad of other conditions that are commonly associated with old age, hence the term "natural causes." This statement only implies that Ryan died in a peaceful manner, not some horrific accident. And that is all that we really need to know.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I was reading up on Sleep Apnea and it is known to cause "sudden death". Wouldn't be surprised if that's what it was.

Avatar image for deactivated-6041dd7056393
    deactivated-6041dd7056393

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel really fucked up, because I could see this coming. Seeing him on camera all these years, and seeing how out of shape he was and how badly he was sweating and often struggling with his breathing, I remember thinking so many times that it was not going to end well. And I know there was nothing I could have done to make a difference, but I still wish I had at least said something.

I have some breathing problems of my own; I'm not obese or anything like that but I do have a chronic condition where my nasal passages are very narrow most of the time or even completely blocked at times. I've ignored it all my life, but I'm thinking I should see someone about it. From what I understand from some online research there isn't any guaranteed cure for this condition but still seeing a doctor would be a good idea.

There is some comfort in knowing that at least he was asleep in his own bed and he probably went to sleep feeling good and content about life following his wedding.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

Not knowing is the hardest thing. People who are happy to go through life not knowing the reasons for things are the luckiest people in the world.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not knowing is the hardest thing. People who are happy to go through life not knowing the reasons for things are the luckiest people in the world.

Yeah all I could do when I found out was speculate. Knowing brings closure.

jchenderson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From reading Ryan's dads tweets I think he really appreciates the genuine outpouring of grief. I also think he understands how many of us feel like we have lost a friend/family member. He would not release information like that if he did not understand how much Ryan meant to so many of us.

FirebirdINF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is just brutally sad. I hope the rest of the bomb crew takes care of Ryan's family and of itself. I want them to be funny and healthy, for fuck's sake.

triple07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well as awful as it is to have to hear it from Ryan's father on twitter, I'm glad that we have some closure to it. I was unaware that sleep apnea was such a serious problem (if that was the cause).

For me at least this gives a bit of closure as learning that someone I deeply respected had died at a young age with no explanation for his passing was pretty difficult.

Fuck man just typing this response is making me tear up.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad to know he went peacefully. Thanks OP.

@triple07 said:

Well as awful as it is to have to hear it from Ryan's father on twitter, I'm glad that we have some closure to it. I was unaware that sleep apnea was such a serious problem (if that was the cause).

For me at least this gives a bit of closure as learning that someone I deeply respected had died at a young age with no explanation for his passing was pretty difficult.

Fuck man just typing this response is making me tear up.

no problem folks, i knew there's people like you all that wanted the closure hence why i did the digging and made the thread.

wmoyer83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 6

I am just glad to hear that his last moments were not in pain or fear.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow. I didn't know sleep apnea could be so dangerous.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.