Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saints Row: The Third

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Nov 15, 2011

After turning their infamy into worldwide fame, the Third Street Saints now find themselves at war with a powerful criminal organization called The Syndicate. Strap it on.

That soundtrack...

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

Edited By Sunjammer

So I caved and bought the PC version of Saints Row the Third, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Definitely a great game.

But man.. That soundtrack is really, really bad. Of course this is subjective criticism, but I'm kinda shocked they have that many radio stations and so little music worth listening to. It's reached the point where I've just disabled every single station; The game has this gaudy kind of shitty-on-purpose esthetic that unfortunately extends to the music, and there's maybe 4 or 5 tracks on any of the stations that I can listen to. I spent time going through the stations to make my own playlist, and it wound up really, really short. What a god damn shame.

This is actually the first(!) open world game of this sort where the soundtrack hasn't had any redeeming qualities, I feel. How you can have an 80s/90s station with basically no real classics, or an electronic music station with not a god damn thing worth listening to in this day and age of excellent dirt cheap and prolific electronica, that takes some backwards talent.

I hope they patch in some way to add custom tracks to the PC version, because man.. This won't do.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Sunjammer

So I caved and bought the PC version of Saints Row the Third, and I'm having a lot of fun with it. Definitely a great game.

But man.. That soundtrack is really, really bad. Of course this is subjective criticism, but I'm kinda shocked they have that many radio stations and so little music worth listening to. It's reached the point where I've just disabled every single station; The game has this gaudy kind of shitty-on-purpose esthetic that unfortunately extends to the music, and there's maybe 4 or 5 tracks on any of the stations that I can listen to. I spent time going through the stations to make my own playlist, and it wound up really, really short. What a god damn shame.

This is actually the first(!) open world game of this sort where the soundtrack hasn't had any redeeming qualities, I feel. How you can have an 80s/90s station with basically no real classics, or an electronic music station with not a god damn thing worth listening to in this day and age of excellent dirt cheap and prolific electronica, that takes some backwards talent.

I hope they patch in some way to add custom tracks to the PC version, because man.. This won't do.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I agree. Overall the in-game radio is a big disappointment (although the short music bursts at the end of a mission and the main menu theme are both amazing).

Avatar image for thedudeofgaming
    TheDudeOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By TheDudeOfGaming

I too agree with the sentiment. I made a custom playlist that had like 6-7 songs. I don't know what the fuck adult swim radio was doing there, despite the host being awesome. Overall the classical radio station was pretty good, i liked Baggy Bottom Boys.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Make_Me_Mad

...I actually liked a lot of the music. I guess I just have bad taste?

SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By SlightConfuse

I rolled with k12 and the classic st

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Harkat

What, like this beauty here?

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Djratchet

I loved the soundtrack. Guess my taste in music sucks.

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PeasantAbuse

I haven't played it, but is this the soundtrack? There are some pretty great songs in there.

DeeGee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By DeeGee

No one man should have all that soundtrack.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By ssj4raditz

Mixtape it!

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11  Edited By natetodamax
    @ssj4raditz

Mixtape it!

I'm glad they had that feature. My Mixtape is mostly K12 songs because I love electronic. And Funky Cold Medina.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Ramone

I've got about 10 songs in my mixtape but I agree the radio stations could have been better, however all the original music is fucking great.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AlexW00d

Meh I liked it plenty. The metal station could have done with more than 3 good songs, but the rap one and the 80s one and the classical one and the Tim and Eric one were all mostly good.

swoxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By swoxx

I loved that fucking soundtrack.

Clinkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Clinkz

Yeah, I looked up the setlist and it was pretty bad. I enjoyed when they sang Sublime's "What I Got" though.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By WinterSnowblind

I really hated the soundtrack too, which is a shame, since the second game had a really amazing soundtrack.

Even the 80's channel only has a few decent songs on it :(

luchadeer797

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By luchadeer797

It has Power. Thats all it needs.

On a more serious note I thought the soundtrack was pretty good. Each station has a few good hits that you can turn into a damn good station with the mix tape.

PixelPrinny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By PixelPrinny

@WinterSnowblind said:

I really hated the soundtrack too, which is a shame, since the second game had a really amazing soundtrack.

Even the 80's channel only has a few decent songs on it :(

Pretty much this for me, too. Wasn't a fan of SR2 but the music was much better than 3's. I was particularly bummed out by the 80's channel being as lackluster as it was in 3 ; ;

Ahh well, different strokes for different folks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
    deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're the Best Around, Holdin Out For a Hero, and "What I Got" made some of the best moments ever.

Main Theme and end of mission dubstep are fucking magical.

Classical station was okay, but kind of done with it after SR2.

Rest was pretty much shit.

Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sunjammer

You can take your Rusko brostep shite and keep it in your own damn games. He's a nice guy but god damn, do not want. Then again my dubstep tolerance is at an all-time low right now. That doesn't mean there isn't good stuff out there.

I guess if I was going to sum up my disappointment it'd be that if you were into metal, there wasn't a really good metal station, and if you were into hiphop, there honestly wasn't a really good hiphop station either. Was a pretty generic, middling electronica station, and in general I just don't see how anyone who is really into music could find much pleasure here. At least in GTA i could just ignore the stations I didn't care about. Here it's like they all blend together in the same gray soup of overproduced yawning.

But yeah.. Different strokes for different folks etc. For now I'm just muting the whole shebang and leaving my own stuff on in the background. Suits me fine.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JasonR86

@Sunjammer:

I couldn't disagree more. I'm loving the soundtrack. My mixtape has a ton of songs on it.

IkariNoTekken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By IkariNoTekken

I find the soundtrack good enough but I'm not a fan of all the stations. Typically I enjoy the genres as a whole but I'm not a fan of the track lists for Generation X, K12 or The Blood so I rarely listen to those.

The Mix can be hit and miss but I enjoy:

• Adam Ant - "Stand and Deliver"
    • Bonnie Tyler - "Holding Out for a Hero"
    • Frankie Goes to Hollywood - "Relax"
    • Joe Esposito - "You're the Best Around"
    • Mötley Crüe - "Shout at the Devil"
    • Talk Talk - "It's My Life"

I feel Klassic FM has a decent selection; varying from some great pieces (helps if you like classical of course) to some tracks I personally don't like but that fit perfectly in the ridiculous context of the game.

The biggest disappointment for me is KRhyme; I really dislike the track list so for my Hip Hop fix I mostly listen to Kabron which has some great Latin rap. With that said, my fave hip hop track in the game is DangerDoom's Basketcase which is found on the Adult Swim station. (The Mouse and the Mask is one hell of an album.) The Adult Swim station also plays Dethklok, the ATHF and Venture Bro's themes and Tim & Eric's Sport Song so I'm happy with that, and it has my favourite host by far.

Satisfied overall.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DeF

man I had played for more than ten hours before I discovered that DANGERDOOM's "Basket Case" was on there! I love that song!

Also with Pharoahe Monch, Freeway & Jake One, Mos Def and Run DMC they included a lot awesome music in there! And that's just the rap songs! I even dig a few of the electronic tracks ... and driving to a mission with "holding out for a hero" playing is just phenomenal! :)

Oh and did anyone notice that ALL cop cars seem to be tuned into the classic radio station? I laughed out loud when I noticed that.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By EuanDewar

I feel pretty happy with it overall.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By 71Ranchero

I had assumed that the soundtrack to this game would not be for me. I just saw the track list and I was right.

PerfidiousSinn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 3

#26  Edited By PerfidiousSinn

The stuff on the radio is just average. Saints Row 2 had a handful of outstanding songs on the radio, but there's significantly fewer here.

However, all the original music, like the Mission Complete jingles and the stuff that plays during certain missions is excellent. It could be one of my favorite original soundtracks of 2011.

DrDarkStryfe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DrDarkStryfe

Playing a mission that had "Holding Out for a Hero" is the closest I will will ever come to fulfill my dream of being Johnny Five, saving the day.

Avatar image for deactivated-59123fe38ab28
    deactivated-59123fe38ab28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally, I think the soundtrack is pretty nice. Generally, with every station they opted to go for a good chunk of great fits with a few tongue in cheek cuts that were thrown in to be funny. I don't really fault them for that, I think they did a pretty good job picking the music. Personally Iove the Classical station, for all the crazy moments just get tenfold crazyier when you blast some Motzart over your vehicular antics.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
    shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By shivermetimbers

Personally, I just listened to the classical radio station as it made the running over of property more funny.

Commisar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By Commisar123

I loved it but that's just me

AlecOfTheWest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By AlecOfTheWest

Any soundtrack that has Deftones, Mastodon, and The Dillinger Escape Plan is a winner in my book. Funnily enough, SR2 had all three of those bands as well.

ponyslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By ponyslayer

Yea that sentiment seems widespread, but the first time Tyler, The Creator started playing may have been one of the funniest moments I've had with a game.

vmehnert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vmehnert

There have been some NBA promos (the recent Orland Magic game specifically) which have been using the Saints Row menu music in the background...kinda weird, but kinda cool.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.