Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Saturn

Platform »

A 32-bit game console developed by Sega. Due to development difficulties and the rising popularity of the PlayStation and N64, the Saturn was discontinued overseas in 1998, but continued to sell in Japan until 2000. It was Sega's most successful console in Japan yet their least successful console overseas.

Sega Saturn CD Finally Cracked After 20 Years

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Extremely happy about this, and the effort this guy must have put in to get this far. I hope the wait isn't too long for a device that can be bought.

Link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E&feature=youtu.be

voiceinject

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty cool! I can't wait until schematics are released... I will definitely do this to one of my Saturns.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super cool but i don't have and never had a saturn. :-(

How are the emulators? I may try some saturn games out one day as i've never actually played any.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360:

Not great sadly, few games are what you could call playable. I am no expert on such things, but that could change now.

Amazing console for shmups and fighters.

The problem as mentioned I the video is Saturn is highly over engineered, its got a chip for everything.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oursin_360: If you have an Xbox 360 there are some pretty decent ports of some of the best Saturn games. You can get Nights, Radiant Silvergun, Guardian Heroes, Fighting Vipers (it's the arcade version). It's obviously far from a comprehensive list and leaves out a lot of great games, but if you want a taste of the Saturn library in an affordable easily accessible form it's there.

Radiant Silvergun and Guardian Heroes have held up particularly well.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Devil240Z

So this could result in a r4 style cart for saturn?

I would love to have a reason to dig my saturn out of the closet in the future.

Man this makes me want to mess with my other old consoles again.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

Sega Saturn was such a great system. I really wish that thing hadn't gotten dumped on so hard in America.

Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

thing i liked most about the saturn was the CD player and making your own looping tracks, adjust pitch, etc

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marz: Maybe with this device you could do it with MP3s or something.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is super exciting both for console owners and for the effects it could have on Saturn emulation. Way too many people missed out on a bunch of great games just because the box didn't say "Playstation".

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't watch the video atm but I guess my Saturn may finally get some use?

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Many of its great Shmups have a timeless quality, as do many of it's fighters, primarily from Capcom. The last fighter, SFA3 is even better than the arcade version in my eyes. Crank the speed setting up and its incredible to see what the Saturn was able to do with apparent ease, albeit with a RAM cart.

redwing42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By redwing42

I wonder what this will do to the games market for the Saturn. There are multiple Saturn games that regularly sell for hundreds of dollars. With this potential leap in emulation, I wonder if the bottom will drop out on those games, since there will be other ways to play them.

Skinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwing42:

Don't make me worried, I've invested heavily in my collection. Seriously though, you only have to look at previous examples to know priced will initially take a hit, but also bear in mind that there have been examples where prices have actually increased for physical copies on the back of emu. Emu brings great games to the attention of many, and for those in love with a game nothing compares to something more tangible, rare and prized as having the console and the physical software.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.