Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Scribblenauts

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 15, 2009

Developed by 5th Cell Media, Scribblenauts is a puzzle-action game for the Nintendo DS in which players can spawn thousands of objects from a vast database to aid in solving puzzles and overcoming obstacles... or just dicking around in silly and hilarious ways. The choice is yours!

Racial slur in Scribblenauts

• 54 results
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#51  Edited By oldschool
    @Jimbo said:
    " @EpochError said:
    " Does anyone really believe they put in the term sambo thinking of the Ecuadorian word for "fig leaf gourd"?  I'd like to see a list of the other Ecuadorian words in the game.  I'm sure it's very comprehensive.    Their explanation insults the intelligence of anyone who isn't being willfully blind. "
    This poster is entirely correct.

The argument that 'Sambo' is even remotely well known as anything other than a racial slur is ludicrous.  The suggestion that watermelon doesn't fit in with that racist slur is equally ludicrous.  Just image search google for 'Sambo'.  What's that, coincidence?  The 'cracker' analogy falls down because there is no connection between a 'cracker' which you eat and white slave owners.  If 'cracker' spawned a whip then you would have a valid analogy.  (For the record, I don't particularly care about either term, but the defences offered so far seem laughably naive.) "
    I am just going to add my voice to this.  I am seriously surprised at the lack of knowledge of the word.  I have a feeling that it is more used in England than elsewhere.  It really was used as a stereotype and condescending word.  I am not surprised it is upsetting some people. 

I remember the word still being used on English television in the 1970s.  I distinctly remember it as part of The Black & White Minstrel Show and The Goodies.  I for one would not appreciate the return of the word.  The obscurity of the Ecuadorian fig leaf gourd is well made.  I could ask 1,000,000 from any country (outside of Ecuador) and I would not find a single person who name that as the meaning of the word sambo.   

No-one who has not walked a mile in another's shoes has the right to dismiss these types of racial slurs.  Just because it doesn't bother you, doesn't negate the fact that it bothers them, especially those who are perhaps a little older and experienced these things first hand.

Sambo is a racial term for a person with mixed Amerindian and African heritage in the Caribbean (see zambo) and can also be used less specifically for black people person in the United States and the United Kingdom. It is considered a racial slur
    apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#52  Edited By apathylad
    MiamiRedHawks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By MiamiRedHawks

"Sambo" is a word that has been used throughout history to depict African Americans in a negative light. The programmers should have caught this, but since it is also a gourd it may not have been intentional.

Monopolized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Monopolized

it's also a martial art..so what

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

It is a consequence of the lack of diversity in game development

What the fuck kind of explanation is that? Not enough "sambos" on the development team?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.