Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shenmue II

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Sep 06, 2001

The sequel to the original Shenmue on the Sega Dreamcast places Ryo Hazuki, hell-bent on avenging his father's death, in China where he will confront new friends and foes alike in a brand new, huge world.

So now I've finally finished Shenmue 2 for the first time.

Avatar image for disquisedjustin
    DisquisedJustin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Since I posted my thoughts on the first game, I figured it only natural to post my thoughts on the second game as well. BTW, if you haven't read my review on the first game yet, check it out here (http://www.giantbomb.com/shenmue/3025-602/forums/it-s-2015-and-i-finished-shenmue-for-the-first-tim-1768579/#10).

No Caption Provided

I actually finished Shenmue 2 using the European Dreamcast version I imported because while I didn't mind the voice acting for the main characters and found the voice acting for the random NPCs to be fun in a so bad it's good sorta way, I really wanted to experience the game how it was originally meant to be told and wow, they really did go above and beyond to make Shenmue 2 feel much more epic in scope then the first game.

No Caption Provided

A few things I will say about Shenmue 2 is for one, their rendition of 80s Hong Kong is every bit as striking as Yokosuka is, though missing the cool "lived-in" feel that the first game has, though what it lost their it made up for in scope and lost NOTHING in terms of detail, though I found Kowloon to be pretty boring, they still put a lot of effort into it, but it's supposed to look rundown there wasn't much they could've done I guess, though it makes up for it with how fucking awesome the set piece moments are there. Also, the new characters were overall a lot better then the first games cast, with Ren easily being my favorite, though I did miss the goofy comic-relief characters like Tom and Goro.

No Caption Provided

The fact that they made making money a big part of the game in this one was cool, and I'm happy they finally allowed you to sell off any capsule toys you didn't want, plus the new betting games were cool though I was bummed out that their were only 2 part-time jobs, and while I did like lucky-hit, the QTE box-lifting was a poor substitute for the forklift job from the first game. Found the story to be pretty amazing, and the last 5 hours in the game especially great, with the last 2 being some of the most emotionally investing and beautifully done scenes I've experienced since I first played Shadow of the Colossus. Will be curious how far down the rabbit hole they go with what they ended on for the end of this game in Shenmue 3. The addition of a wait function was a great addition, though I still weirdly admired waiting for bars to open or stores to open or whatever in the first game, though understand why they had to add it, and it was warmly welcomed.

No Caption Provided

Overall I would say Shenmue 2 is an overall better game then the first, so of course I loved it, though there were still some aspects in the first game I missed as mentioned before, plus I missed taking care of a kitten and getting winning cans in the vending machines God DAMMIT!!!

mason20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Welcome to the Shenmue fold, enjoy the wait. I'm glad to read you enjoyed it as much as I did. Though, if I may shamefully expose myself... I think Shenmue's forklifts may be the reason I'm a Heavy equipment operator in real life.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Shenmue series holds should a special place in my heart. I'd love to be able to replay them, but I no longer have my Dreamcast or the second game for the Xbox.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll probably go through those games again whenever the new one comes out, they were good games IMO even if they had flaws.

The Shenmue series holds should a special place in my heart. I'd love to be able to replay them, but I no longer have my Dreamcast or the second game for the Xbox.

Download an emulator?

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could try one of the android/IOS emulators and get a bluetooth controller.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I am still hoping someone puts up the money to rerelease these games so they are easier to play (i.e. on PC or a modern console). I admit I have been afraid to go back to the games. They meant so much to me when I played them. I play both of them basically straight through (except for food breaks). The only games over 3-4 hours in length that I have ever done that for. However, that was nearly 20 years ago, at this point... I do still think I'll like them, but I know I'll get annoyed by things that didn't bother me as much before - my biggest concern being the pacing... I loved the pacing when I first played them. It felt deliberate and "real" in a way. However, I'm a busier person now and am more used to faster paced games, even in RPG's.

I will play Shenmue 1 and 2 before 3 comes out, though, so we'll see...! :D

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.