Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Does anyone else find this WEIRD about Naoto? (spoilers)

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By papercut

So Japanese schools as I understand it have 3 years as apposed to American high schools that have 4. So most of the investigation team are 2nd year students, who I would have to say are 17/16 ish . That means that the rest of the crew that are in the 1st year class are about 15ish (minus Kanji-seems like the held back type).

Now the thing that just seems kind of of to me is this. Up to this point all you have had are melee weapons. Then thats when you have Naoto join the Investigation team, and he's got a gun. not a simple bb gun, an actual gun! So much about this just makes me say to myself "Dude what? come on!"

1. Like I said, dudes probably around 15.
    2. civilians don't have guns
    3. the gun itself doesn't even do that much damage
    4. MOST OF ALL, when you unlock him, you can buy more guns at the weapon shop. A bunch of highschool kids buying a load of guns.
    Did this strike any of you as odd too? Like, I understand that this game is already ridiculus, and it doesn't piss me, but it just seems so damn WEIRD to me.
    fr0br0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By fr0br0

Well she was on the Police Force for some time, so I assumed the gun came with her uniform...

And you get extremely sharp swords from the same place you get stylish dress shoes, I'm not really put off by the thought of buying guns there.

MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MC_Izawa

They tried to make the game more appealing to Americans.
    MURDA PARK WUTWUT

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Pepsiman
    Fr0Br0 said:
    "Well she was on the Police Force for some time, so I assumed the gun came with her uniform...And you get extremely sharp swords from the same place you get stylish dress shoes, I'm not really put off by the thought of buying guns there."
    This is pretty much correct. While it's illegal for Japanese civilians to carry firearms, such a restriction is not present for policemen. While Naoto more or less only works in a consultation capacity as detective, I suppose it's possible in theory that she could still get one through her cooperation with the authorities. Don't hold me to that second part, though; I know a lot more about the Japanese language than I do actual laws over there, so I'm not a particularly credible source.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By LiquidPrince

It's a game...

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Pepsiman

Don't say that too loudly or the children's imagination will be shattered. They don't know any better. :*(

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#7  Edited By LordAndrew

It's all art to Daidara. He doesn't sell them to Souji and friends with the expectation that they'll actually use those weapons.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Diamond

Man how come all the kids in Persona 4 have such clear skin, isn't that odd?

Oh yea, and what about jumping into TVs that's a little weird too.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By papercut
    Diamond said:
    "Man how come all the kids in Persona 4 have such clear skin, isn't that odd?Oh yea, and what about jumping into TVs that's a little weird too."
    Really? I never thought of that.

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By trav3ler

It's no weirder than an empty sentient bear suit growing himself a fucking body.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Origina1Penguin
    trav3ler said:
    "It's no weirder than an empty sentient bear suit growing himself a fucking body."
    lol, it's funny because it's true

That is the weirdest part of the game I've seen so far.
    legendary1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By legendary1

All videogame characters, especially RPG characters, have access to an invisible dimensional portal that leads to another plane, where they hide their weapons and items. Remember Yosuke and the MC got picked up by the police for having swords in public? They learned their lesson about where to store things.

Daidara is pretty screwed as soon as the police catch on. But I suppose it is _theoretically_ possible that the weapons are just art. If the TV world is the projection of human feelings, its entirely possible that the reason Naoto's actually defunct guns work is because they look like guns. Ditto for the other weapons (and it explains why such odd stuff as fans can do damage as well).

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By Red

Yeah, she was on the Police Force as a detective, and I doubt few knew her real age. Better question: how can I buy a suit of chain mail for the Protaganist that when equipped fits him, then equip something else and then give it to Naoto and then have IT fit?

Quite puzzling, eh?
    Vect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Vect
    LordAndrew said:
    "It's all art to Daidara. He doesn't sell them to Souji and friends with the expectation that they'll actually use those weapons."
    I take it that he has an unspoken mutual agreement with the kids: They don't tell him where they get the "Rare Materials" and he won't ask questions on why a bunch of kids need knives, swords, shoes and/or guns.

Either that or he's a lonely old man whose only customers ARE a bunch of kids who brings him random junk that he can pound with a hammer three times to make spiffy new armor and he deliberately takes his time since they're the only form of human interaction he ever has.
    Avatar image for valkyriegoddess
    ValkyrieGoddess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ValkyrieGoddess

Well maybe Naoto came from Michigan...

Check out this weird Michigan law...Any person over the age of 12 may have a license for a handgun as long as he/she has not been convicted of a felony.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By ch3burashka
    @papercut: Papercut, STFU. It's a fucking gun. It's badass. Quit bitching.
    CaptainObvious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By CaptainObvious

Weapons are art.

Just look at that beauty!

No Caption Provided

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18  Edited By Termite

Well, I would find it weird, however you can also go into a television and use magical powers.

Relative to the rest of the stuff in the game, it's seems perfectly normal.

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SilvarusLupus

Well, if she is a licensed detective then she could technically carry a gun....That or the game designers ran out of ideas for weapons to give her. 

bulletstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By bulletstorm

I get a little smile on my face whenever I see Naoto running behind me with a big ol pistol; just feels so badass.  

I also <3 Daidara, he has some wisdom if you ever get the chance to talk with him :P  

What struck me as odd is that Daidara doesn't have a problem making guns, it seems that like that would be the anti-thesis to his beautiful art of armor and swords. (And... fans and shoes... and plates...and bear claws...) 

harrisonave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By harrisonave

...everything that happens in this game, and that's what you find weird?  A fifteen year old buying a gun is the most realistic thing about that game.

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By papercut

OK, i know this game doesn't make too much sense. But most of the crazy goes on in the T.V. Everything outside of it is suppose to be a rural town in japan. I feel that the game is just breaking it's own logic or something along those lines.

yeah I'm making a big deal about something small, and the game's still pretty awesome, but it's the small things that irk me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e
    deactivated-5b65b74e68e3e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Or, why does Naoto have a gun while Dojima doesn't?

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @CannibalFerox said:

"Or, why does Naoto have a gun while Dojima doesn't? "

Who says he doesn't? 

@gakon5 said:

"RPGs already carry an awesome double standard of when weapons can and can't kill someone.  A gunshot will kill you unless you're in a battle stage.  In addition, use of abilities such as Samarecarm is prohibited if the death of a character is a necessary plot twist. "

You know, I've always found that pretty damn stupid.    

SPOILERS 

In Persona 3, it's pretty emotional when Shinjiro gets shot down, but when you end up battling Takaya and he's shooting you and you're just taking damage like a normal attack, I find that pretty dumb.   

Also somewhat related, has it ever been said if the characters can summon their Personae outside of battle (or TV World/Tartarus)?  I mean, in Persona 3 the cast are summoning their Personae in the real world each Full Moon so then it's definitely possible there.  But then why are characters sometimes scared of outside confrontations when they have freakin' super powers (Persona 4 cast being scared of Kanji/Junpei being scared of the thugs and when one punches him in the stomach)?    
    SaraHysaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#26  Edited By SaraHysaro

She could probably get one with her job, like others here have said.  

@FluxWaveZ
    said:

SPOILERS  

In Persona 3, it's pretty emotional when Shinjiro gets shot down, but when you end up battling Takaya and he's shooting you and you're just taking damage like a normal attack, I find that pretty dumb.    Also somewhat related, has it ever been said if the characters can summon their Personae outside of battle (or TV World/Tartarus)?  I mean, in Persona 3 the cast are summoning their Personae in the real world each Full Moon so then it's definitely possible there.  But then why are characters sometimes scared of outside confrontations when they have freakin' super powers (Persona 4 cast being scared of Kanji/Junpei being scared of the thugs and when one punches him in the stomach)?     "

Well, I think it makes a bit more sense if you think about it this way: You may have awesome powers which you can use freely in fights against monsters and plot-important human enemies, but you can't go around using those abilities on normal people outside of that supernatural world because you'll draw unneeded attention to yourself. Sure, you could just stick with the passive skill that come with an equiped persona, yet that could require faking a reaction, and if someone goes after you with something like a gun or a knife, it would be pretty freaky if you just blocked (or worse, REPELED) that attack without lifting a finger.  

Some people will probably find your powers cool if they were discovered. Heck, a lot of them would probably find it cool. However, there are those would fear those abilities, and if anything strange happened quite possibly you will be the first suspect. Not to mention that if the government gets wind of it they will either try to use you as a weapon (if your lucky, they'll only do so with your consent), or come the conclusion that if there is one, there are more out there, and find you and "your kind" a threat. Kinda like X-Men.  

So outside of that environment they have to act like (or, if possible, be) normal people to avoid attracting too much attention. That's just my take on it though. That would definitely be my mindset should I one day wake up with supernatural abilities.
    chewii101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By chewii101
    @trav3ler said:
    " It's no weirder than an empty sentient bear suit growing himself a fucking body. "
    Touche sir. 
    Koihime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Koihime

Noticed? Naoto always reloads after a battle HE never runs out of Bullets? ^_^

connor3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By connor3000

you say HE but Naoto is a she, and it is weird the she never runs out of bullets.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#30  Edited By Ghostiet
    @CannibalFerox said:
    " Or, why does Naoto have a gun while Dojima doesn't? "

He's fucking Dojima. He shoots by pointing someone with his finger.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.