Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Does your school have some sort of Cultural Festival?

Avatar image for relentlessknight
    RelentlessKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By RelentlessKnight

With the latest episode of the Endurance Run, I wonder if anyone have some sort of Cultural Festival in your school. My high school has this each year, near the end of our school year. It's quite fun, we have a multicultural festival where each ethnicity shows off their culture and there is free food involved. Plus, we have a theatre to watch movies as well as talent show.

I know that Japanese schools celebrate this, each year with a ton of fun activities and contests.

WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

English schools have... fuck all. When our Headmaster isn't stealing the schools budget to buy himself a new BMW it goes towards fixing things that the chavs have smashed.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Unfortunately, my school has been the victim of politically correct meddling in that department. Instead of having a culture festival or interesting equivalent, we have a Diversity Week. Why is this a problem? Because I live in Southeastern Idaho, where my school's ethnic demographics go something like this: 80% white 18% hispanic 2% other. So basically, there is no actual diversity. The only good part is that all the vaguely ethnic restaurants in the city set up in the small gym during lunch all that week, so I can get tacos, sweet and sour chicken, and Italian noodles in the same place (if they didn't charge super high prices for them)

Sorry for the rant. It just annoys me.

Disgaeamad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Disgaeamad
    @WitchHunter_Z said:
    " English schools have... fuck all. When our Headmaster isn't stealing the schools budget to buy himself a new BMW it goes towards fixing things that the chavs have smashed. "
    It's the same up in Scotland. It's even worse when your headteacher is the most retarded woman ever.
    MC_Izawa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By MC_Izawa

Nope, my schools tried to treat all students equally and not alienate them by making them feel like some kind of freak.  Where I come from, we all appreciate each others culture in our everyday lives by speaking the languages and eating the food.  We don't need some kind of fair put on by the Politically Correct and Guilty White Teachers and Soccer Moms Association under pressure from the National Advancement of Racial Disparity.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @ArbitraryWater said:
    " Unfortunately, my school has been the victim of politically correct meddling in that department. Instead of having a culture festival or interesting equivalent, we have a Diversity Week. Why is this a problem? Because I live in Southeastern Idaho, where my school's ethnic demographics go something like this: 80% white 18% hispanic 2% other. So basically, there is no actual diversity. The only good part is that all the vaguely ethnic restaurants in the city set up in the small gym during lunch all that week, so I can get tacos, sweet and sour chicken, and Italian noodles in the same place (if they didn't charge super high prices for them)Sorry for the rant. It just annoys me. "
    We basically have the same thing since were an "International High School" (the motto of our logo, which is a window with a circle over it, is "A window open to the world").  The percentages that you listed are basically the same as my school except replace Hispanics with Chinese and add about 8% more to that.
    They do activities like movies about other cultures and different foods, but there's usually not a lot of effort gone into those.
    metalsnakezero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#7  Edited By metalsnakezero

Best thing my old high school had was a party Halloween where the whole school was allowed to cosplay and then have a movie night.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#8  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

I like in England and neither at my primary or secondary school were there any cultural festivals.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael

Nope, no festivals at all. I wish we had one... the biggest event(aside from graduation) is pretty much Halloween, when they allow students to wear costumes.

sketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By sketch

Nothing in my old high school. I went to a school in north wales with something like 1500 students. Apart from 5 chinese people, every single one was white. There wasn't any diversity to flaunt there.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
    @metalsnakezero said:
    "Best thing my old high school had was a party Halloween where the whole school was allowed to cosplay and then have a movie night."

Yeah, we have that too but I find it to be pointless so I just arrive at school with out normal uniform... >_>
    Bigbombomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Bigbombomb

My grade school (I go to high school now) used to have some sort of cultural festival where each class was assigned a different country. We would learn about the country and then decorate the whole classroom like the country. It was kind of cool seeing the other classes because they had really good presentations.  

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jayge_

Culture festival? That has nothing to do with being rich, white, or being a sports player. Why would any school in my state bother with that?

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Oriental_Jams

Not at all, don't think any English school does, nor should any English school have one since our culture has been going down the crapper since the end of the Victorian era.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By angelkanarias

yep it has. there is food from different places, but you have to pay!

KuroXai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KuroXai

Yeah, it's called International Week. It's kind of when all the ethnics in our school plan an even all week and bring the things from our culture that makes us unique. Sadly, it's been going down under with all the people who aren't participating, and you can blame me for it as well. :(

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By FrankCanada97

My high school has a UNITY club that encourages members of all cultures to join. Some time during the year they have a UNITY fashion show showcasing fashions of different cultures.

ZettaSlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ZettaSlow
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " My high school has a UNITY club that encourages members of all cultures to join. Some time during the year they have a UNITY fashion show showcasing fashions of different cultures. "

Unity leads to intimacy, Frank.

I was homeschooled, so we didn't really do much. It was pretty boring.
    cygnus_x89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By cygnus_x89

My school in New York had culture clubs and when you first walk in there are 100s of flags from different countries hung up but there was never a culture festival.

thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

Yeah, I have a cultural festival at my school, though it's like for a day and is more of an eighth or ninth grade thing for social studies I think. I don't even know what we do, though. Stand there with green shirts and say you're Irish? Talk about that potato famine in the 1800's, and you win? Nothing like a group date cafe or a beauty/cross-dressing pageant, that's for sure.

Avatar image for smashedcontrollers
    SmasheControllers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I was in School  My School had a Culture Week, Each day we did a different culture.

dudacles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By dudacles

We do have something along those lines. Annually, we collect money for children in Africa and a foreign band, African most of the time also comes round and gives a little performance. It's nothing special though.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#23  Edited By citizenkane

Not, but every year there is a Culture Festival in Mobile, Alabama, about 45 minutes from here.  My Latin Club in high school went every year(all four years for me baby!).  One year I bought a walking cane that was made from a tree native to only Scotland, where some of my ancestors are from.  They Scottish guys in the booth, who actually live in Scotland and traveled to the festival that year, knew of the clan of my ancestors(the McEvoy Clan).

GTCknight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By GTCknight

Back when I was just a kid my school would have events on certain holidays. But once I got in to Middle School I never saw anything like that again.

And I think I know why. Here in the US (thats where I live) we go to school five days a week (Monday through Friday) and we have two days off (Saturday and Sunday), whlie in Japan students go to school six days a week (so that would be Monday through Saturday with Saturday being a half day, although I could be wrong about that) and only one day off (Sunday). Therefore the teachers here in the States most likely want to cram in as much as they are capable of, in the time that they are allowed. And students in Japan need these kinds of events to help them both relax and learn about their own culture.

In a quick short summary. We in the US just don't have the time (in the school week) for a Cultural Festival and that totally bums me out. Although it really doesn't effect me any more since I've already finished High School. I just hope that collage will have something similar.

D_W

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 21

#25  Edited By D_W

Not exactly. But the French or Spanish club would have a big party at the end of the school year where people would bring different food from their backgrounds. I think anyone could go too.

slinky6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By slinky6

No, but we had to learn shit-loads about natives in elementary school.   Does that count?

SilvarusLupus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SilvarusLupus

No. My school sucks at trying to expose people to other cultures.....

METALM1LITIA91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By METALM1LITIA91

ha ha I can't see that happening here in Hickville Oklahoma. Most people around here don't know what culture is here... being 95% Caucasian in my school doesn't help. This promotes a ton of racism which makes me sick

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#29  Edited By Blubba

My old high school in Atlanta had an International Night that is essentially what the OP said. The current one I go to is in small rural town in Florida that's so redneck, we have fishing bait vending machines. So no.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By c1337us

When I was in school out in the middle of nowhere in Western Australia my school had a aboringal cultural thing once a year. It was pretty cool actually. We made boomerangs and shit until all the guys started hunting each other with them and got detention. Then there would be presentations in the assembly area for aboringal music and dance and junk that everyone except the aboringal kids were actually interested in. Then to top the whole thing off we got to eat kangaroo and emu and stuff on the BBQ for lunch courtesy of the school. Since this would consume most of the day we always got to break early and have essentially a long weekend.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Blubba
    @c1337us said:
    " When I was in school out in the middle of nowhere in Western Australia my school had a aboringal cultural thing once a year. It was pretty cool actually. We made boomerangs and shit until all the guys started hunting each other with them and got detention. Then there would be presentations in the assembly area for aboringal music and dance and junk that everyone except the aboringal kids were actually interested in. Then to top the whole thing off we got to eat kangaroo and emu and stuff on the BBQ for lunch courtesy of the school. Since this would consume most of the day we always got to break early and have essentially a long weekend. "
    You ate a kangaroo? Do you feel like a bad person?
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By c1337us
    @Blubba: I eat kangaroo on a regular basis and it tastes fucking great. No I dont feel like a bad person, heaps of people do it. Its a common meat to buy at the butcher shop or supermarket.
    c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By c1337us

If I ate a koala or a woilly or something I would feel guilty because they are endangered. But kangaroos are a plague and they taste good so culling them for food is a win-win situation.

mattisonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By mattisonfire

mys sckool has arts week thats kinda like it

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Ghostiet

There is something like that in my Polish school - the Language Days, focused on English, German, French and Italian. The whole day is basicly awesome improv comedy theatre, two years back there was a foreign-themed buffet too, but there's currently no cash to do this stuff so it's basicly all about acting. Still, it's fun.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By penguindust

No cultural festivals in my schooling days.  We had fairs and club productions and special events, but nothing school wide like what is suggested in the Persona games.  Also field trips were never overnight.  In the US, such events would be (a) too expensive for the school district and (b) too great a liability for the school to properly insure.  The most we ever had that was school wide were "spirit weeks" when everyone participated in some sort of obvious way to express their school spirit...like "funny hat day" or other such nonsense that cost the taxpayer nothing.

Blubba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Blubba
    @c1337us: I guess I can understand that. They're just cute, that's all.
    ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38  Edited By ArcBorealis

My elementary school had a sort of cultural festival, a "Night in" sort of thing. Basically every year they'd have a little event with stuff based on a different country, the ones I remember were Japan, China, Australia, and Africa. It was interesting.

Though can't say the same for my school now. Actually I barely care about school really (its the people I can't stand).

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By c1337us
    @Blubba said:
    " @c1337us: I guess I can understand that. They're just cute, that's all. "
    Yeh I guess. The only kangaroo I would have ever labelled cute are the tame ones at a zoo unless your thinking of smaller similar creatures like wallabies or woillys or something which definately have the cute factor going for them. Every kangaroo living as it should in the outback is hardcore. That Mighty Boosh episode Killaroo is 100% based on fact. A kangaroo will destroy you in hand to hand combat lol.
    Avatar image for deactivated-587815b1c9354
    deactivated-587815b1c9354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

my school is not classy enough for such a thing

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.