Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

P3:FES or P4?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#1  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could help me with this problem:
    It seems fairly obvious now that I will either get a PS2 with my own money or go halvsies with a friend (who wants to play metal gear solid 4) on a PS3 (but that is not what this topic is about).
    Due to the Endurance Run, I have decided to buy a Persona game, but which one should I get first?
    I have little knowledge about P3, other than that you shoot yourself in the head to summon Persona, and it's longer (as well as $10 cheaper). However, Persona 4 is also awesome, and you can actually control your party members. So which one do I get?

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 36

#2  Edited By LordAndrew

Persona 3 should come first. Persona 4 makes some changes that will make it hard to go back, but 3 is still worth playing regardless.

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By ZombiePie

I'm split. There are parts to both games that I like better than their counterparts but both are wonderful experiences.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Pepsiman

If you can afford to get both games, definitely go play 3 first and then 4. On its own, 3 is a really great game and there's definitely more to it than just the provocative fake head-shooting mechanic. 4, however, makes a number of refinements in the gameplay and storytelling departments, which are best appreciated if you play 3 beforehand just to better recognize the evolution. That said, though, if you can only afford one of them, I'd say definitely go for 4. I find the package as a whole to be better done and overall I think you're in for a better time with it. 3's still great, but I was way more attached to 4 by the end.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

Persona 4 is the only one you need. Don't get me wrong, FES is awesome, but especially after watching so many Endurance Runs, you've already seen the vast superiorities Persona 4 has, which makes it hard to go back to P3.

Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Shadow

I'm going through P3 right now and damn is that game LONG.  I love it though, but I would probably love it considerably less if I first went through 70+ hours of the same game but with dramatic improvements to every aspect.

legendary1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By legendary1

P4 DOES have a great many nice features like controlling your party members and fast travel, but it also took away a lot of cool things from P3, like splitting up your party to search through dungeons on their own, making weapons out of persona's, and fusing jesus. I also liked the theme of P3 a lot better. If you only had time to play one pick up P4, but otherwise do P3 first.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Red
    Shadow said:
    "I'm going through P3 right now and damn is that game LONG.  I love it though, but I would probably love it considerably less if I first went through 70+ hours of the same game but with dramatic improvements to every aspect."
    I haven't beaten P3, but I clocked out P4 with 61 hours, and I hear FES is closer to the 70 mark.
    So, if you're strapped for time...
    Daroki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Daroki

I'd hit P3:FES first, especially since at Gamestop's Game Days you can pick up a copy for $19.99.  It's a much darker story than 4, and the ability in 4 to control your party is something that's hard to give up once you've had it.  FES is excellent though, and if you're uninitiated to playing the series, it's a good starting point.

And Journey and Answer, FES is closer to 100 hours than 70.  (Answer's supposed to be about 20-30 hours and it's an add on from the original P3.)
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#10  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Ok, It seems that the majority opinion is that I get FES first so I can appreciate what it does without having to compare it to P4. Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By REDRUN

P3: FES is a good one play now, and P4 when you are ready for more :D

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Coltonio7

they're both wicked!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.