Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released Jul 10, 2008

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 is a role-playing game developed and published by Atlus for the PlayStation 2. It is chronologically the fifth installment in the Shin Megami Tensei: Persona series. Like its predecessor, its gameplay combines a traditional role-playing game with elements of a social simulation. Its critical and commercial success spawned a sizable media empire, including several spinoff titles.

Persona 4 - Yeah It Hates Me

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

Oh Teddie...
    Oh Teddie...
    For a brief second there I had forgot how hard the Shin Megami Tensei games were.  I have played through every single one of the titles that hit North American soil and every single time I forget just how frustrating they can all be at times.  Yesterday I started up a brand new game of Persona 4 and instantly fell in love with.  Tonight I have played for about 4 hours and right when I got to a point in the first dungeon where I was about to fight the boss - I died.  1 hour of work absolutely gone but I will admit that it could definitely be worse.  I once lost 3 hours in Persona 3 because being the idiot that I am I forgot to save.

Thankfully the frustration is actually worth it because the game is so damn good otherwise.  I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go back to a PS2 game and have a good time with it but Persona 4 is pretty much the best RPG I've played since... well... Persona 3.  If you enjoy sitting down with a grindy RPG every once in awhile you should check it out.  I'll keep you updated on my progress.  There's a girl in my class (in-game) that I am so going to try and hook up with. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh Teddie...
    Oh Teddie...
    For a brief second there I had forgot how hard the Shin Megami Tensei games were.  I have played through every single one of the titles that hit North American soil and every single time I forget just how frustrating they can all be at times.  Yesterday I started up a brand new game of Persona 4 and instantly fell in love with.  Tonight I have played for about 4 hours and right when I got to a point in the first dungeon where I was about to fight the boss - I died.  1 hour of work absolutely gone but I will admit that it could definitely be worse.  I once lost 3 hours in Persona 3 because being the idiot that I am I forgot to save.

Thankfully the frustration is actually worth it because the game is so damn good otherwise.  I wasn't sure if I'd be able to go back to a PS2 game and have a good time with it but Persona 4 is pretty much the best RPG I've played since... well... Persona 3.  If you enjoy sitting down with a grindy RPG every once in awhile you should check it out.  I'll keep you updated on my progress.  There's a girl in my class (in-game) that I am so going to try and hook up with. 

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By weltal

The first boss? I don't get how you could die when all you have to do is attack him with your skill over and over, which happens to be his weakness.

But yeah, Persona 4 is a great game so far. I have to say, after hearing people say the intro was a bit long I though, "Oh, well what, like a half an hour?", four and a half hours later the game actually starts. Longest intro ever.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It might not have been the first boss.  It was the boss at the end of the Castle dungeon.  Probably about 3 hours in or so.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By weltal
    KimFidler said:
    "It might not have been the first boss.  It was the boss at the end of the Castle dungeon.  Probably about 3 hours in or so."
    Oh you mean that bird-chick? I figured you meant the first party member's persona you fight. Yeah, that last one was a pain. I just barely managed to defeat her on my first try, albeit after using every healing and resurrecting item I had.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#5  Edited By LordAndrew

Shadow Yukiko? Yeah, she was a pain in the ass.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Hailinel

Yukiko's Shadow is a tough boss for being that early in the game, but the game's difficulty slope drops back down to a less-sadistic level after clearing it.  Overall, I found the game to be marginally more difficult than Persona 3 on the Normal difficulty, but overall the challenge is pretty fair.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

Got the game from the Amazon deal.  Go to Yukiko's Castle with no problems at all, died on the 3rd level.  Used all my items wisely, found some really nice armor in locked chests, leveled up a lot, eventually ran out of SP restore items, died on the 3rd floor when I had zero SP left and ambushed by 2 kings that kept summoning more enemies that took off 1/3rd my health each hit...

Umm, what was I supposed to do?  I didn't see any place to buy more items, there were no save points.  I had a single dungeon escape item, should I have used that?  I thought Yukiko was supposed to die if we didn't go through the dungeon?

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By endaround

Once you run out of SP you have to get out of there.  You can try to escape from battles or use a vanishing ball if you have one.  You have until 4/29 to save Yukiko and it will likely take 2-3 trips.  The game gives you a feeling of urgency but you have to sort of ignore it.  You should stock up on escape items (wait until 4/27 to go in a second time and they go on sale due to rain!) because they allow you to go the enterance and save and you can also fuse persona so it also is a good idea to go back and fuse when you fill up your slots so you don't miss out on new persona from draws.

You can't get anything in dungeon yet and the only save point is on lvl 8 right before the boss battle (its also free ticket back to the enterance). 

Other things:  TaP Soda from the south vending machine and any soda from the north will replenish SP and are the only items you can buy that do that.  You can buy 5 each a week (replenished on Mondays) Buy some steak from the steak skewer palce to avoid having to use SP for healing if you have enough money.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond

I tried again last night and didn't have any problems at all, beat the knight miniboss pretty easily.  It's odd because I know the game has random dungeons but the second attempt was incredibly easy compared to my first attempt.  I only used a fraction of the items and eventually found all the items.

My biggest mistake was thinking the cloudy days on the forecast were fog, I thought I had to save her in one day and I didn't know why the game was saying fog appears after a few days of rain.  I just took my second day through the dungeon and I'm saved before Yukiko's shadow, I haven't beaten it yet but I got really close a few times and I'm sure I'll be able to.

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By endaround

Part of that is that  the difficulty in battle is often finding the enemies'  weakness since it takes sp and you take damage while experimenting.  Thats the most difficult thing usually and once you know the weakness its not so bad (well until mudo and hama spells start showing up)

GiantDragoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By GiantDragoon

Green jacket or red outfit? Former is awesomesauce
    Latter is dicksauce.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By rinkalicous

What is up with the Yukiko hate? I much prefer her to Chie

papercut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By papercut

Yukiko's nice, but it really comes down to shy vs. outgoing girl.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#14  Edited By Red

I always save in RPGs when I'm given the chance, but they can still be pretty frustrating.

Oh, and:
    Rise>Chie>Naoto>Yukiko.
    For truth.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.